Failure rate of closed loop water coolers

Close to 0%

Could you please link the source of this information. I'm very happy if this is in fact true because it means AIO liquid is safe to use but I want to see for myself.

Also, I wonder how long the testing period is. After all, anything will spring a leak given enough time.

Could you please link the source of this information. I'm very happy if this is in fact true because it means AIO liquid is safe to use but I want to see for myself.

Also, I wonder how long the testing period is. After all, anything will spring a leak given enough time.

Given the popularity of problems with closed loop systems, and the extreme rarity of seeing anyone report problems, you should be able to draw your own conclusions. Especially since Corsair has been replacing all components ruined by failures, they would be losing their shit selling these even if the failure rate was 5%.

I tried to delete this thread because I realized there wasn't much point to it. The reason I started it was because I've built 5 PCs with Corsair water coolers in the past 3 years. 4 of them had the H50, 1 with the H100. One of the PCs with the H50 leaked from the pump (built for a friend). The H100 in my current PC, the fan controller went out on. I RMA'd it 2 weeks ago and installed the new replacement today. On boot up I went into the BIOS and the pump RPM was at 0, then I noticed the CPU temp rising quickly. I shut off the PC and double checked everything and tried again. The fans worked, the speed controller worked, but the pump did not. Corsair support is great, but these Asetek and CooliT built coolers I'm not so sure of. I'm thinking of just getting a True Spirit 120. I much prefer the look of the H100 though. I might try another RMA I suppose.

Well the pumps definitely fail more than one will start leaking. I thought you were talking about leaking only. Plus there appears to have been a run of noisy or failed pumps in the non so distant pass. With your non-existent OP who knows what you were going for...

Well the pumps definitely fail more than one will start leaking. With your non-existent OP who knows what you were going for...

I was going for the same thing I just posted. Then I figured some people just have bad luck and Alienware, etc wouldn't be selling systems with them if they were high failure.

I've had two Antec 920s and an H80 running for over a year. They are running like a swiss digital watch.

They were doing so well I set up my latest rig(RIVF/3920K @4.5) with a Thermaltake Water2 Extreme. I'm running the pump at "Extreme" setting because the fan speed was so quiet.

920 settings @Quiet: 700 Fan/2800 Pump, in Extreme: 2400/3100
Water2 settings @Quiet: 1200 Fan/3100 Pump, in Extreme: 2000/3100

I ran an H50 for over two years without issue and ive been prowling these forums for a long time and I can count on my hands the number of threads that have been started slamming Corsairs closed loop systems. While that IS anecdotal, it still shows that the product is pretty damn reliable, not to mention Corsair probably would not have expanded so far into the market had their initial product failed.

Give the RMA another shot, as you mentioned Corsair's Customer Service is top notch...its too bad they can't be recognized in some way for it...I don't think another company can even begin to touch them in that department.

I have had 2 h100 fan cotroller go out on me in the past
Now working on a new loop and rma the h100 back to corsair, then sell the new unit I get from them.

I just had to RMA my H50, could not figure out what was causing it to cool so poorly. I was getting 50 degree temps at idle and the CPU had hit 100° a bunch of times before finally shutting the machine down (I was gaming and couldn't figure out why my performance was so bad, thought it was lag when it was really the CPU shutting down due to thermals).

The pump showed the right RPM, but even with the fans cranked and the case open it just wasn't cooling...not sure if it was a clog, pump failure or what...

I have a H70 and H100 for about a year now with no issues...yet.

Given the popularity of problems with closed loop systems, and the extreme rarity of seeing anyone report problems, you should be able to draw your own conclusions. Especially since Corsair has been replacing all components ruined by failures, they would be losing their shit selling these even if the failure rate was 5%.

Rare? I've owned a few of these closed loop coolers and I've had issues with a few of them. Mostly with either a loud pump or inconsistant performance. My H50 and H60 worked great. I had to return an H100 because it was super loud. I wouldn't be surprised if the pump would have failed later on down the road. Of the two Antec 620s that I had one had inconsistent performance. How knows what that would have meant later on down the road. I had a bad pump on an H40.

There was a thread on here for months with people reporting issues with the pumps on their Corsair units. There are still a couple of stickies up on Corsair's forums.

There isn't all that much pressure in these loops and they do a really good job sealing them up. I wouldn't worry too much about leaks. I guess that its always possible but that seems to be very rare.

i have a h70, my comp is on 24/7, ive had it for 2 years now no problems besides the stock corsair fans fail, the fans lasted a year or less

Back