Fail's Great "Change the Franchise" thread

Shalafi

Fully [H]
If you could change any EXISTING gaming franchise to your liking, what would it be?

I got this idea from talking to Roliath and I was commenting to him how much I liked Zelda on the 3DS, and he said that he could never get into it. He wants a reboot of Zelda, and make it some kind of God of War clone, with a darker story, an emo Link facing tribulations and shit.

I thought that was pretty damn interesting.

I'd like to play a Castlevania game where you play as Dracula, not Alucard, and you have to kill the Belmonts, I would not be opposed to it being in the style of Lords of Shadow, BUT I would prefer it to be more of a Dark Souls type of experience.

What franchise would you guys change to your liking? Remember, it must be an existing franchise!

In other words Roliath wants Darksiders because that is pretty much exactly what Darksiders is.

Anyway hmm interesting topic. A fully open world, open ended Star Ocean would be interesting I think. The series literally has entire galaxies worth of places it could explore and expand. Set it during the SO2 time period, so it avoids the utter bullshit that was SO3's plot twist. I think the battle system could be adapted to real-time combat with a little work and it could be pretty fun.

I would like more strategy combat games to adopt Myth's pure-tactical gameplay. It's the only game (that I know of) in which formations and high ground actually matter in a deeper sense than "multiply defense by 1.2" or "extend visibility by 2 units".

I would personally like to see a Warhammer franchise game adopt Myth mechanics.

1) I want to see the Dawn of War II franchise with proper campaigns for the non-Space Marine factions. And by proper, I mean fully fleshed out and customizable characters for your squad, not like that nonsense from Retribution.

2) I want the Mass Effect franchise to actually acknowledge and have different cutscenes if you're playing a biotic or engineer Shepard, instead of just assuming you're a soldier that can use assault rifles.

3) Wehrmacht campaign for Company of Heroes.

I actually thought of these some time ago and was thinking of making a thread but never got around to it, lol.

Zelda:

I'd like to see Zelda take some tips from Bethesda and make Zelda (and maybe even mario) absolutely huge. I don't mean change the gameplay to play like skyrim, but I want to explore the world of Hyrule like I explored Vardenfell in Morrowind, Cyrodil in Oblivion etc.. etc... I want a huge game world to get lost in with tons of dungeons to explore and tons of side quests to do during and after I beat the game. And lose the motion controls, I hate waving my arms in the air to play, I'm a lazy comfort gamer.

Starfox:

I'd like to see starfox made more like a sim. Not to the point where your arwing feels slow and lumbering, but I want to be able to go more than just a straight line and fly higher than 100 feet in the air. Let me fly straight up, straight down, let me go from the surface of the planet to the outer stratosphere, give me some freedom while in the air.

Mario:
I want to see a true mario rpg sequel with the same graphics style, silent mario, and a huge world with 40+ hours on the main story line.

I guess the Final Fantasy series? Not so much about the gameplay (turn-based RPGs aren't incredibly mindblowing), but rather the story and atmospheric design. I'm starting to lose hope that the disenchantment I have with modern video games was simply due to the incompetence of game designers. Rather, it may be fundamental consequence of making games more "realistic" and presentable. More and more designers are going "by the books" with storyboards and planning. The seemingly accidental success of unorthodox game design doesn't really seem to occur these days.

oh man where do I start? I could probably name something for about every franchise. Well, maybe not my #1, but I'd be pretty interested in seeing what diablo could be like as 1st/3rd person open world RPG where item finding isn't the basis for the game (i.e. where some weapons are better than others, but not by too much so that you character doesn't suck if you didn't find the stupor sword of +10 to awesome).

Final Fantasy....Open world, flying around in air ships, exploring shit, mini games, and most important cool and enjoyable characters and story line...Which it hasn't had in a while.

Castlevania.....2d side scrolling only.

Zelda.....Had enough of the 3d world style maybe try something new like Zelda 2.

Warcraft.....Make a Warcraft 4 already and don't lock down the resolution to something stupid like 720p.

Metriod....Getting again go back to 2d.

Final Fantasy....Open world, flying around in air ships, exploring shit, mini games, and most important cool and enjoyable characters and story line...Which it hasn't had in a while.

This.

And a true Final Fantasy Tactics sequel with modern graphics (but same view angle).

Battlefield & Modern Warfare

I'd destroy both of these franchise games and bring twitch pc shooters back...

I think this is pushing it, but I'd like to see a Dead Space style MMO. Good graphics, dark, mature story, plot and gameplay. Not like XXX, damnit, but no gnomes with engineering goggles.

I'd also like Dragon Age 2 to be renamed "Dragon Ball DA" and a true DA2 made. I enjoyed quite a bit of "DA2" but it wasn't dragon age and it wasn't a sequel. :(

Dammit fail. I've been looking back at this thread all day and I can't think of shit. I guess I'll fallback on my same old complaint about Call Of Duty. I'd like to see someone take a mature license with Call of Duty and actually do a horrors of war story. Something really Noir like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, or Armadillo.

Same thing with Resident Evil. They did a piss poor Micheal Bay "Resident Evil goes to Africa!" with Resident Evil 5. I'd like them to make an actual "Survival" Horror game in Africa. Theres this movie that came out last year about these two guys trying to make it across an Africa nation during an Zombie outbreak called The Dead.

In the first zombie road movie set against the spectacular vistas of Africa, the Dark Continent becomes a dead zone. A stunningly shot horror fantasy announcing the arrival of the Ford Brothers on the global genre scene, THE DEAD is as much an emotional journey through terror terrain as it is a physically demanding and beautiful-looking one. Shot in life-threatening, never-before-seen locations in Burkina Faso, French-speaking West Africa, and Ghana, including the Sahara Desert, on 35mm film by the award-winning Ford Brothers, THE DEAD is one of the most unique zombie movies of all time.

Now you take that and do it in the Stalker Engine. Wide open spaces. Anomalies, Zombies, Exploration. Not for the sake of upgrades or shining weapon crap but just trying to get out alive. GOLD I TELL YOU!

damn I guess I did think of something.

Last edited:
A return to the older style of Final Fantasy games would be a a dream come true for me. I've disliked them all since FFX.

At this point I'd say an Assassin's Creed reboot is probably due. They've taken the current style about as far as they can. I'd say adding more RPG elements might be exactly what the game needs.

It seems like the Unreal games are also in need of one and personally I'm all for going back to the roots of the series with a true storyline experience from the first two. Give me a crazy planet to explore full of Nali and Skaarj again.

I'd set the next installment of the "Red Dead" franchise in Africa, during the time period that the film The Ghost and the Darkness is set in. The franchise would move away from the Wild West setting but retain the gameplay of Red Dead Redemption. It would translate perfectly to the African setting (especially the ambient challenges), and all sorts of themes from civil war to corruption in the western authorities there can be explored and used as the basis for the plot.

I'd also set the next Assassin's Creed in feudal Japan already.

1) I want to see the Dawn of War II franchise with proper campaigns for the non-Space Marine factions. And by proper, I mean fully fleshed out and customizable characters for your squad, not like that nonsense from Retribution.

Meh I'd rather they cut the gamer pandering all together and just port the tabletop version completely. It's worked out great for Magic the Gathering and other CCG's.

I mean literally port everything. Fully customizable table top. Purchasable armys and pieces. make everything paintable. Would sell like hot cakes.

I would like to see Zelda and Mario ground into dust, and to never see another game from either franchise released.

I would turn Syndicate back into a 3rd-person overview shooter.

Last edited:
I would like to see Zelda and Mario ground into dust, and to never see another game from either franchise released.

I would turn Syndicate back into a 3-person overview shooter.

I think the Zelda franchise just needs a major change. Nintendo is getting better at telling stories and presenting characters, but Skyward Sword is too stuck in the gimmick of the motion controls. Flying it a pain in the ass and the Wii controls simply don't work well enough. I would love to see Nintendo take the series down a totally different direction maybe give it to Intelligent Systems or Camelot and let them have some fun. I've been playing the series for almost my entire life and it really does feel like it is in need of something fresh and new.

at the top of the list should be DNF they need to take that game back to the old school university and teach it how to be a real Duke Nukem game.....

at the top of the list should be DNF they need to take that game back to the old school university and teach it how to be a real Duke Nukem game.....

It was never going to be a great game. They should have left the series alone after DN3D. DNF would have been even worse if 3D Realms had actually managed to ship it.

I'd like the Japanese to stop raping Wizardry, and I'd like DW Bradley to take back the material.

I'd like Bethesda to sign over the Fallout IP to Obsidian permanently.

I'd like Unreal Tournament 2012 to be an improvement over UT2K4.

A proper Darkwar Saga game.

I'd change WarCraft back to WarCraft II roots. War 3 was good, but it was not WarCraft II good. Bring back the old style.. you kept SC the same Blizzard, do the same thing to WarCraft. I don't get why SC gets the special treatment and WarCraft turns to a POS rts game in comparison to its predecessor.

I would like to see Splinter Cell return to its roots. Where running and gunning was punished with an early death.

I would love to see Nintendo take the series down a totally different direction maybe give it to Intelligent Systems or Camelot and let them have some fun.

For Donkey Kong Country Returns, Nintendo representatives from Japan were on top of those Retro Studio guys every step of the way.

I'd change WarCraft back to WarCraft II roots. War 3 was good, but it was not WarCraft II good. Bring back the old style.. you kept SC the same Blizzard, do the same thing to WarCraft. I don't get why SC gets the special treatment and WarCraft turns to a POS rts game in comparison to its predecessor.

Warcraft 2 was the catalyst for Starcraft. The game play style is borrowed explicitly from that game. My think is that once Starcraft was released, they didn't want Warcraft to step on it's toes. By creating heros and altering the gameplay enough, they came up with a more micromanagement intensive style of gameplay that is enjoyable, and very different from that Warcraft 2 or Starcraft style. I for one, loved Warcraft 2, but I'm okay with the direction they're going in now, because it makes the most sense.

I think this is pushing it, but I'd like to see a Dead Space style MMO. Good graphics, dark, mature story, plot and gameplay. Not like XXX, damnit, but no gnomes with engineering goggles.

Dead Space MMO universe... that's a killer idea I never thought of and, if done right, could be excellent. As you've said though, would have to be seriously dark and mature, with interesting and solid gameplay, storyline and forms of exploration, on different planets and such.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I can think of anything at the moment. Would have to give this topic more thought.

I think Hitman: Absolution is bringing to the table exactly what I would want from the franchise, being darker, more brutal, more open in options and more brutal and atmospheric.

Borderlands 2 is shaping up to go in the directions I think most of us wanted it to go in, so it will probably already offer what people have been wanting... more story, more interesting guns, locations etc.

Only thing I can think of right now would be a more "true zombie" type situation with the Resident Evil franchise. Operation Raccoon City has the atmosphere a bit, but is far more action-oriented.

By "true zombie", I mean the slow-moving zombies and dark atmosphere (it has both), but with less over-the-top gunplay, and more survival-type gameplay. Making the game more akin to Romero's "Dead" films, which is something that still no games have managed to capture in terms of the zombie genre. Resident Evil came closest back in the day.

Nothing like the atmospheres of Resident Evil II & III, and would love to see that brought back in spades and pushed to another level.

Without a doubt, Max Payne 3 should have kept the darker feel and city settings of the first two games, but looks good in all other ways. But the franchise should end where/how it started.

I'd like to see iD turn the Wolfenstein franchise over to someone who can produce a sequel worthy of name. RTCW was so great,but the last entry was a complete disgrace. Same with Doom. Doom 3 looked good,but it was basically a horror survival game. That's not Doom. Doom is a badass Marine with an attitude blasting the hell out of demons.

Speaking of TF2, I'd like it returned to the state it was in at the update where they introduced the Pyro backblast but before all the extra unlocks and hats and similar bullshit was introduced. Just base weapons, balanced, no silly shit. That was a fun time.

I'd like to dump all the nostalgia remake/sequel nonsense for new original games/franchises.

Back