Failed DFI T3eh8 BIOS flash

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
So I got my T3eh8 today and attempted to flash the BIOS to the newest rev:

failed_flash.jpg

Note the one block that stands out...

I tried hot-flashing the BIOS using a Supermicro X8STi (I was at work), since it also uses the same BIOS socket type, and it went through without any errors/failed blocks, however the board still functioned as though it's bricked when I tried to boot. I flashed it a couple more times and it seems that half the time I'll get that same "write fail" block.

When the green memory DIMMs populated, I get the "C1" POST code (I'm referring to the on-PCB diagnostic LEDs, the system doesn't actually POST on the monitor) and the board makes beeps at me. With the yellow DIMMs populated, I get the "CF" POST code and the board doesn't beep at all. Resetting the CMOS has no effect. The board exhibited this behavior after the bad flash and after the good hot-flash using the Supermicro board. The system seemed to function a-OK before I tried flashing the BIOS (go figure, right?).

So I hit up Newegg's internet chat support and am told I'm basically screwed for the weekend since they won't do a cross ship and the board isn't refundable, only exchangeable. I asked to speak to a amanager and the manager authorized a refund on the bad board, a paid return label, and reimbursement of overnight shipping on the order for the new board (I didn't actually ask them to cover the return label or overnight shipping either). All in all, looks like I'm delayed a day and I'll have a charge on my card for a few days until they process the RMAed board. Looking forward to tomorrow...though I may be too paranoid to bother flashing it at all (assuming it's not running the latest).

You can also contact DFI and they will send you another BIOS chip. Once NewEgg is no longer willing to help, contacting DFI is an option for you.

DFI has awesome customer service. Atleast at one of their web forums (I can't remember off the top of my head).

I managed to somehow flash my LanParty board with the wrong BIOS (no clue how it even worked?).

worked for a few days, then stopped POST'ing.

They had me mail my BIOS chip in, and then they 2-day FedEx'ed it back (living in Alaska, 2-day FedEx isn't exactly cheap).

Back