FAH has COVID-19 projects

Started crunching yesterday as soon as I heard it was available..Not too shabby from just running my sig rig.

1584067258260.png

Think i am going blind,. but not seeing how to choose Corona virus specifically from the windows client?

[EDIT} "By downloading Folding@home here [LINK] and selecting to contribute to “Any Disease” "

Last edited:
I don't think you can at this point, just luck of the draw. I'm not sure that preference ever did much anyway.

Edit: However I will say, they are sending them out as fast as they can make them right now, so I think the server assignment priority is set very high.

Think i am going blind,. but not seeing how to choose Corona virus specifically from the windows client?

[EDIT} "By downloading Folding@home here [LINK] and selecting to contribute to “Any Disease” "

I didn't see one, but since I started all my GPU has seen is Corona WU

Do these run on the GPU as well. I just reinstalled and it's running again but only suing the CPU right now for some reason.

Edit: nevermind there are the fans and pump ramping up, hold onto your horses daaaang!

Last edited:
COvid 19 work has the highest priority on F@H at the moment, if you run it you are probably going to get Covid projects. If the servers are slow in giving out WU don't panic. They have had a huge donation of computing power from a cloud provider that is sucking up vast amounts of WU, 6000 gpu's worth!:eek::eek::cool:

Just to give you some idea, F@H usually issues ~4k WU per hour, its currently issuing over 35k.

Last edited:
Can I / Should I run both? Is it different enough work?

I doubt they are wasting resources by overlapping the science but I've not read that much into it. I do know that Rosetta has already started getting results from our work as linked above.

COvid 19 work has the highest priority on F@H at the moment, if you run it you are probably going to get Covid projects. If the servers are slow in giving out WU don't panic. They have had a huge donation of computing power from a cloud provider that is sucking up vast amounts of WU, 6000 gpu's worth!:eek::eek::cool:

Just to give you some idea, F@H usually issues ~4k WU per hour, its currently issuing over 35k.
Screenshot_20200314-083349.png

hey Gil, if you run rosetta is your whole effort going to C19?

No, but you cannot single it out either. Just something to work on while FAH is out of work...

The PC community has been kicking the sh!t out of the WUs and servers. They cannot issue WU fast enough. Personally I have not folded in ages. I figured I would give my Ryzen 2600 a workout. Its a slow go but you will get work.

I'm doing this too, heard about it elsewhere, only reason I popped back to this forum was I figured I'd get the HardOCP team number if I'm doing F@H.

I'm doing this too, heard about it elsewhere, only reason I popped back to this forum was I figured I'd get the HardOCP team number if I'm doing F@H.

Team number is 33. You probably have a passkey in an old email if you have done F@H work in the past.

Yeah I was using BOINC with R@H. I don't know but it was not using my GPU just CPU. However, I am figuring everything is getting hit up big time. The F@H forum was saying how much of an outreach has taken place in the last 5 or so days. I was actually thinking about using some extra coin for an upgrade to the computer (X570/ 3800X combo) for more computing power but the local MC is now temporary closed here in Northern NJ. So that's not an option now...

Yeah I was using BOINC with R@H. I don't know but it was not using my GPU just CPU. However, I am figuring everything is getting hit up big time. The F@H forum was saying how much of an outreach has taken place in the last 5 or so days. I was actually thinking about using some extra coin for an upgrade to the computer (X570/ 3800X combo) for more computing power but the local MC is now temporary closed here in Northern NJ. So that's not an option now...

Rosetta doesn't use GPU. There are numerous projects that do, but I don't think there are any for Covid besides F@H.

Rosetta doesn't use GPU. There are numerous projects that do, but I don't think there are any for Covid besides F@H.

Ok That explains it. I knew F@H was using the GPU for computations when it can get them. I should look into projects that will grab GPU idle time. As for Covid 19 on F@H, I got 3 WU and it cranked them out like it was nothing. However, the servers are a bit overwhelm right now. I am letting the system work it out.

Ok That explains it. I knew F@H was using the GPU for computations when it can get them. I should look into projects that will grab GPU idle time. As for Covid 19 on F@H, I got 3 WU and it cranked them out like it was nothing. However, the servers are a bit overwhelm right now. I am letting the system work it out.

F@H isn't accustomed to this type of workload, but my understanding from the slack channel is they are increasing that exponentially.

Alright First Timer here, Up and running CPU, nothing for GPU yet, im assuming this is normal currently? Setup with team 33, do i need a passkey still?

Alright First Timer here, Up and running CPU, nothing for GPU yet, im assuming this is normal currently? Setup with team 33, do i need a passkey still?
You "should" request a passkey. You will earn more points by doing so. It is not required though. And yes, right now they are having supply and demand issues with the work units. Also, don't be surprised if the passkey gets flagged as SPAM. Google and Yahoo have both been reported as flagging it.

finally, a way to feel like I am doing something

going to swallow my pride, get over myself, and install FAH for the first time in years...then open the windows and doors

^^ Yeah That ^^ I'm not paying the electric bill now so will have to be careful, but

kurtzmoto.jpg

I have not gotten Covid19 WU lately for my GPU. However, between Boinc and F@H my CPU and GPU have been getting supplied with work. My hope is the components are being put to go use. We as citizens of the US and beyond are able to put our excess cycles to good use and find the break through(s) needed for this current pandemic.

Rosetta@home has already shown results for it's efforts early on. I have a link in one of the other threads above. Keep crunching/folding as there is a lot of attention being placed on this by everyone right now.

Hey.... Man it's been a while. Just wanted to drop in and say thanks to all of you guys..... Still at it and selflessly doing the right thing. Life has changed for me significantly since I was active here, and unfortunately I can't contribute to the cause anymore. But I miss you fuckers....

Tamales and beer, and Fold On!

Last edited:
Even if you cannot contribute, feel free to chime in. We also have a Slack channel now. If you just want to hang out, stop on by.

Performed a little upgrade this afternoon. Mohr Cohrs! More Threads! I did it right before the lock down and also it kind of fell into my hands quickly. It was a tale of fate as my wife asked me if her monitor would work with her new computer for work. About 2 months ago my wife's employer replaced her laptop. She now has a HDMI port. The monitor she had used for years, did not. DVi and the last time she used the monitor it was VGA! So I have no idea what to do with it per se. Probably find a DVI to HDMI cable for a second monitor. So a replacement was needed at the 11th hour. No one had a reasonably priced one locally. So I took a ride to the Micro Center in Yonkers, NY for a monitor and picked up a 3700X for the rig while I was there. I will have to update the rig specs since I built my 2600 last year I think. Anyway, here is the basics.

Asus ROG B450-F Gaming BIOS 3003
AMD R7 3700X stock clocks and cooler
GSkill 16GB CL16
MSI RX580 8GB gfx card
Samsung 970 Evo M.2
Toshiba 4TB storage drive

Pics for the people...

B450 AMD R5 2600 stock all around cooler and settings.

B450R52600_DC.jpg

New Set up
Same B450 MB R7 3700X Just stock settings with PBO and Stock cooler. I realized I didn't have the virtualization on at the time. So I had to reboot and tweak.

B450R73700X_DC.jpg

I noticed 1 of 2 things. Either the PBO setting run the chip hotter when it comes to wattage however I wonder if the 3700X is really a 65 watt part ;) The stock Prism cooler is a bit loud but it has been keeping the CPU cool for the most part if it is running the PBO. Once I figured this system is stable for the long haul, I have another surprise. I picked up an X570 MB while there just in case the B450 didn't play nice. I will give it a few days before making a decision on whether or not to return it or if I can return it with the whole virus going around. We will see.

Mohr cohrs for the cure.

Last edited:
Well greetings from the front lines from this slacker. Hospital biz out here in Central California is starting to ramp up. MRI is still busy for whatever reason. Anyway I'm gonna jump back in the crunching game with my recently acquired 3800x and my old 970 GPU(maybe SWMBO will approve of a new one). Stay safe out there, this stuff is for real.

one question that been lingering around my head during these time. Didn't Rosetta found a formula for the virus already? So what's up with these F@Home stuffs?
I mean i'm all in for science. But someone trying to take advantage of it then no i'm out.

Back