Facing Strong Backlash, Yelp For People App Vanishes

HardOCP News

[H] News
This whole thing could be a hoax? Damn it, I was looking forward to feverishly checking my rating all day, every day. Okay, not really. :D

The online presence of the widely lampooned purported app Peeple, which apparently allows people to rate individuals, has been pulled from the Internet. As of Monday, its website has been removed, as have its Facebook and Twitter accounts. Meanwhile, the company’s Instagram account has been set to private as of Sunday.

Bound to happen :) . It would have spiralled out of control anyway :) .

I wonder why. Probably too many of the usual barrage of death threats. Or maybe some script kiddie group took their stuff out. Either way good riddance imo.

I am not surprised. In theory sounded like a good idea until you actually thought about it in depth. Hopefully they come up with some other idea for their business.

I'm not surprised. As I said in the other thread, I started working on an app like it years ago. I had the domains, and everything already bought and had started working in the back end databases. Then I realized it would likely turn into a massive backlash like this one.

It's really a shame, it would be pretty damn amazing to be able to have a better idea of someone before a date. I just can't logistically think if any way to prevent it from turning into a shit fest.

I wish we had a subforum like that here! Someone should make a "Yelp for [H]'ers!"

The two women behind this app were utterly clueless with delusions of overnight app millionaire grandeur.

The best was one of them asking "Does anyone know how to stop certain people from posting on a company Facebook page?" Lmao.

There would have been no problem with the idea, had it been opt-in.

The fact that they wanted to scrape your name and picture off of Facebook, and then let anyone who knows your phone number or email review you on a page you had no control over taking "reviews" down, without you ever even creating an account...

Sounds like it would have been a bullying, harassment, revenge seekers dream to me, especially since so many aspects of people are inherently subjective.

Hoax or not, I knew it would never go anywhere though, based on how Lulu was essentially killed off, and how LinkedIN lost their lawsuit over email harassment recently.

People are surprisingly apathetic about privacy up to a point. Cross that line, and you incur the wrath of the masses.

Maybe they thought it would be profitable despite being a terrible idea. I'm beginning to think that it might be, based on this reaction.

I think they missed the market. There's potential for an Opt-In. I'd say it'd have to be limited to positive comments only. Kinda like modern forums that have the "rep-meter" based off the thanks you get. The higher your rep-meter, the better. I think any other open comment structure is asking for libel suits. Or something like the software platforms that allow you to assign a certain amount of daily points to good feature suggestions (back the feature).

After listening to more stuff about this, I am convinced that the App never existed. This was purely a stunt, like clockboy and balloonboy.

I would guess that this was a stunt to get people to watch her YouTube channel.

But I guess we will see in November.....

Even if it only allowed positive reviews..

it would then get people saying

"but why am i only a 4 and he is a 5, i thought i was your best friend!"

And then their idea to let "negative reviews" have 48 hours to be posted and reviewed..

Stupid idea.....

Even if it only allowed positive reviews..

it would then get people saying

"but why am i only a 4 and he is a 5, i thought i was your best friend!"

And then their idea to let "negative reviews" have 48 hours to be posted and reviewed..

Stupid idea.....

yeah, even with the negative reviews removed and only allowing positive reviews, and their now allowing you to opt out. They still are not providing a useful service. If anything it is more worthless now than before, and that is saying something. Moving the scale from 1 - 5 where 3 is ok to 1 - 5 where 1 is ok doesn't really solve anything. you still rate people you don't like 1 start, rate people you really like 5 stars and everyone else falls in between.

This reminds me of the debate about condom sizes a year or two ago. Many guys are wearing the wrong sized condom and as a result they aren't getting the protection from them that they are expecting. The reason is that few guys want to walk up to the counter with small or medium. They want to think of themselves as having massive cock that is going to break a woman in half, so most buy extra large or magnums even if they are loose and fall off because they don't want to admit they are not huge. So the solution was going to be to change all the sizes to be something like size 1 - 5 or something like that so that you aren't buying small, you are buying 1. However to me that doesn't make sense, I never understood how that would fix anything. If you don't want to go up there with size small, how is going up with size 1 any better. The person still knows that is the smallest size. Kind of the same here, if you move the scale to get rid of horrible and make that now be ok. So what, people will still rate people 1 start. That still comes off as a bad person. Don't matter if bad means they rape puppies or they are lazy and don't do anything. Either way they are getting 1 star and people know that is the lowest you can be rated.

And they can try to say positive only reviews, but how do they plan on enforcing that? Their thought about how the internet is full of great and wonderful people who naturally want to be nice and say great things is a drug induced dream. The internet breads hatred and despair, they have already seen this from facebook by wanting to remove all negative comments being sent to them. No matter how they try to spin this app, it is shit.

Back