Facial Recognition Coming to a Concert Near You

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Ticketmaster wants to try out facial recognition at some live events to see if it will help with admissions and access to restricted areas. Also, if you have a payment option attached to your Ticketmaster account they can use facial recognition to speed up payment for concessions. However, by them collecting your bio information they are potentially creating another database of information for big brother to use. As long as this is opt-in only then I'm good with it, however, if it's opt-out I'll just have to give up going to concerts.

Blink Identity’s platform basically allows a venue to identify people using their facial biometrics without requiring them to stop and stand in front of a lens. This is a potential game-changer that elevates it above many of the consumer-focused facial recognition technology that exists today. Blink Identity claims it can capture people walking past at full speed and can handle more than 60 people each minute.

Simple fix, just don't go to any of these events.

However, most people won't care. They will give without a 2nd thought, and then wonder how law enforcement found them.

NFC payment is fast enough.

Send a text with a security code for identification, or through an app. E-mail, text, and app for three separate codes wouldn't take that long, either.

They will give without a 2nd thought, and then wonder how law enforcement found them.

If law enforcement is actively looking for someone I'm thinking most people would like law enforcement to find them.

Just another way to take advantage of drunk people at concerts. It's how a Doctor wakes up after a bender with a $50,000 charge on his credit card after getting lit in a strip club.

When I go out, I take cash and leave my plastic and other payment methods at home.

If law enforcement is actively looking for someone I'm thinking most people would like law enforcement to find them.

I don't have a problem with that. The more stupid people we get off the streets the better. :p

I hate concerts. They are crowded, sound quality usually sucks, and I get pissed when the artists have the audience sing. Did I pay for the audience to sing? No!
Actually, most of the groups I like are retiring or dead anyway.

So does this prevent you from selling/giving your ticket if something comes up and you can't go?
The Ticketmaster markup is out and out highway robbery. When I started going to concerts, tickets for major acts were typically $10. Then Ticketmaster took over and prices immediately went to $15, and quickly eclipsed $20. Now I can't even afford the nosebleed section for 3rd rate bands.

Now this is some creepy tech. Given how cutthroat the advertising industry is, it won't be hard for technology like this to scrape public profiles like facebook or instagram and tie together their locations and activities with marketing promotions. It will also essentially be a way to track 'citizens' movement without the need to lock onto their cellphone fingerprint. I can see this rolling out in London as one of the first cities to completely cover its footprint with not only cctv cameras but facial recognition.

Back