Faceplate Face-Off @ [H] Console

HardOCP News

[H] News
Faceplate Face-Off: An Xbox 360 faceplate is just a faceplate, right? Nothing but a $20 piece of plastic that spices up the looks of your console. If you subscribe to that school of thought you’d be wrong. We take a look at 7 faceplates and what you get for your hard earned money. The results might surprise you.

An Xbox 360 faceplate is just a faceplate, right? Nothing but a $20 piece of plastic that spices up the looks of your console. If you subscribe to that school of thought you’d be wrong. We take a look at 7 faceplates and what you get for your hard earned money. The results might surprise you.

Please read our review and discuss your thoughts here. Thanks!

Nice to see a "different" review on something rarely mentioned. I planned on getting a faceplate and it's helpful to know that the Pelican ones are junk.

Well... it doesn't surprise me about the Pelican faceplates. I have a couple of their controllers and they feel cheap as crap. Considering how comparitively inexpensive Pelican products are, it's not too surprising.

Being able to change out the Core white DVD cover is also nifty.

But I dunno, I didn't think the article was too interesting otherwise. Swapping faceplates on a system that explicitly supports it just doesn't seem very [H]ard to me. That one you guys did with the PSP was a lot cooler.

There's also the Nyko Gameface option for the customizable. It's kinda cheap but they give you a ton of sheets with it to print on.

I'm sticking with my Gears of War one for now. :)

I know some stuff may not seem [H]...but letting your readers get hosed buying crap products isn't very [H] either ;)

Besides, that chrome 360 faceplate was just something we couldn't pass up and it is FINALLY a faceplate that helps all those Core owners out there shed the stigma of the "core" :D.

Normal faceplates do nothing to mask the fact that you have a core system. This was not only the first chrome faceplate but also the first to offer a DVD drive cover too.

(and yes, Kyle's PSP faceplate mod kicked mucho ass too...)

Anyone know how does the Silver faceplate match up to other Audio/Video Components in color?

Steve said:
I know some stuff may not seem [H]...but letting your readers get hosed buying crap products isn't very [H] either ;)
True enough!
John D said:
Anyone know how does the Silver faceplate match up to other Audio/Video Components in color?
Yeah, I have the silver faceplate on my 360. The system is standing next to my silver Polk Audio monitors, as well as my 2005FPW with silver base... and it doesn't match. It's not something you'll notice at first glance, but if you take a look at the quality of the silver coloring, it is a lot "granier" on the 360 faceplate.

That said, I would still recommend it over the standard white plate, but not if you're a total perfectionist. You couldn't go wrong if you bought it at a local Gamestop, and compared it to your AV equipment before opening the packaging... that way you could return it if you weren't satisfied.

Click for fullsized... ( and yes the mic is turned off :eek: )

An Xbox 360 faceplate is just a faceplate, right? Nothing but a $20 piece of plastic that spices up the looks of your console. If you subscribe to that school of thought you’d be wrong. We take a look at 7 faceplates and what you get for your hard earned money. The results might surprise you.

I got laid for having my chrome plated XBOX360. The girls love the bling!

Now that would be a surprising result.

All joking aside, nice faceoff.

They Nyko Gameface, is pretty cheesy. side tabs stick out from the faceplate and the paper is flat, when glossy would have looked better. Also the paper they give you didn't quite really seem to fit perfectly. It's too bad that Pelican is the company that offers the make your own faceplate (design on web, and they ship you the faceplate). Hopefully a better quality manufacturer will come out with something similar. Right now I'll stick with my spiderweb decals from decalgirl.com

This is a good article. I read the whole thing and I don't even own an XBOX 360!

Im getting an x360 in a couple of weeks and its nice to know what is out there. Thanks for the article.

Thanks for the arty guys!! I'm tired of looking at the whole white thing. Gonna check and see decalgirls selection right now. I'd like to skin it fully chrome or black.

So are the panels on the xbox 360 metal or plastic? (this is me not being a console owner). If they're metal, I wouldn't mind buying one just to chrome it all out. Would be pretty cool. Or if that's already been done, chrome it and then paint over it with a transparent candy color.

w00t! Cobalt Nexus all the way!

Decal Girl is awesome, they have great service and they make great products. After the review of the Decal Girl skins for the 360 I went and got myself a full Cobalt Nexus skin. It looks incredible and I agree that their quality is superb.

Although I almost wish I had waited to get the 50$ complete black changeover kit, now THAT looks cool. Too bad it would void my warranty which is not something I am willing to do right now.

Steve said:
Inner case = Metal

Outter case = plastic

You can see a complete tear down of the case here

But you can still get the case chromed with vacuum metalizing.

Chromed plastic just aint the same steve! Then again, the faceplate is chromed plastic so it'd match I guess. I'll bet finding a guy to do that in my area would be slim. I have a hard enough time finding a guy to chrome aluminum.

The thing I don't like about these faceplates is that even when you change the front, the rest of the body is still white... Looks stupid.

Yeah, I agree...would def rather have one of the full on skinning kits. But which one? Does anyone have any HiRes pics of these skins?

What's with the core hating? :p

the all white keeps it looking uniform, the chrome bezel thingy for the premium just looks tacky.

fizzelopeguss said:
What's with the core hating? :p

the all white keeps it looking uniform, the chrome bezel thingy for the premium just looks tacky.

You may think it looks better, but it immediately brands you as a cheapskate or a noob be it the case or not. :p :D

I placed an order with decalgirl last week and finally got around to skinning my Xbox 360 and use the plate they provide with the kit, but I just found out this past Wednesday night that it doesn't work with my Logitech remote. I pulled the face plate off and compared it to original I had in the box (purchased the MS Silver face plate to blend in with my home entertainment system) and looked at the IR port up to the light...the decalgirl face plate barely let any light though compared to the MS faceplate. I swapped around the faceplates and the vinyl I had on it and my remote worked fine.

Something to consider if you use your remote with your Xbox360 for DVD playback.

Back