Facebook’s Jaw-Dropping Social VR Demo Really Is The Future

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know if this Oculus social VR demo is "the future" but it is pretty damn cool. The demo started out like any other cheesy presentation until they got to the part where they were interacting with the pictures. Watch the video below and you'll know what I mean.

That's cool. It's not sufficiently cool for me to bite but it's getting there.

What happened after they put the photo in the FB bin? Did it mistake the tie for a dildo and ban the account for life with a temporal shift?

Haven't people been paying attention? You wear this thing for more than 30 minutes and you start getting sick. Also, just what Facebook addicts need. more reason to Facebook. Put your phones away and talk to real people.

Looked like stills from Youtube 360° videos. They need to do it in real time.

Example of what I mean.

I'm calling it now; Facebook to looking at a long-term endgame here!

I can see sooner rather than later deals with Fisher Price or Little Tikes are going to come out with a toddler VR headsets complete with optional pacifier (because why not).

In a generation or two kids will be confused as hell as to what real means and what virtual means.

I'm calling it now; Facebook to looking at a long-term endgame here!

I can see sooner rather than later deals with Fisher Price or Little Tikes are going to come out with a toddler VR headsets complete with optional pacifier (because why not).

In a generation or two kids will be confused as hell as to what real means and what virtual means.

The end game?

Reality is boring. Reality is dumb. Give us money and enjoy facebook-ality. Invite all your friends to join you!

People who can't cope with the real world, living in a virtual fantasy, looking at kitten pictures.

holy baby Jesus........save me.

The end game?

Reality is boring. Reality is dumb. Give us money and enjoy facebook-ality. Invite all your friends to join you!

Hmm, virtual reality needs real money you get as virtual bank credits called direct deposits now.

Hmm, real reality is really getting a bad wrap, needs more marketing!

Until they can utilized a higher resolution and refresh rates with near-zero lag VR is always going to make people sick to the stomachs. I personally can't even watch someone else playing a first-person game for more than 5 minutes before feeling queazy.

Facebook sucks and I detest people that waste their lives on it.

I don't know if this Oculus social VR demo is "the future" but it is pretty damn cool. The demo started out like any other cheesy presentation until they got to the part where they were interacting with the pictures. Watch the video below and you'll know what I mean.
Being able to tour a location you have never been to is kind of cool. Taking of selfies of a virtual you at a virtual representation of a place you have never been to is just sad.

Haven't people been paying attention? You wear this thing for more than 30 minutes and you start getting sick. Also, just what Facebook addicts need. more reason to Facebook. Put your phones away and talk to real people.

I'm not sure where you're getting that info but the nausea experience in VR is highly variable from person to person. There are plenty of people that can wear it for hours without any feelings of sickness. A developer of one of the games was in VR space for 15 hours straight with no ill effects.

The end game?

It's not more or less real than these forums or that BBS you hung out on in high school and it's probably more real than your friends in high school ;)

Says the one posting on an internet bulletin board.

680.jpg

Will need to be wireless, and nearly lagless before its mainstream. Also half the weight.

Will need to be wireless, and nearly lagless before its mainstream. Also half the weight.

Wireless, possibly. Lagless? These devices are actually quicker to display an image to your eyes than the highest-end gaming monitors. And the Occulus has not had ANY complaints about weight: the device braces itself against your head securely, and is no heavier than a high-quality set of earphones.

You sound like you've never used one these devices.

Not everyone lives close enough to each other to interact with each other on any level closer than a phone call. A lot of people have friends and family that live in other states and countries. This is a way to bring them closer together. Surely you can see some value in that.

Also, the 30 minute thing is false.

Until they can utilized a higher resolution and refresh rates with near-zero lag VR is always going to make people sick to the stomachs. I personally can't even watch someone else playing a first-person game for more than 5 minutes before feeling queazy.

Resolution or the lag (which is already super low) generally have nothing to do with getting sick with in VR. For most people, it involves locomotion, when they are moving in the game but not in real life. This is a non issue with the Vive and any room scale or standing content. For seated experiences, most devs are going to avoid releasing games that will give people motion issues.

If you still get motion sickness with the Vive and room scale content you are really in the minority. I haven't seen any complaints online and I've also demoed my unit to a little over a dozen people so far and all of them had a great experience. None tried VR before either.

It's not more or less real than these forums or that BBS you hung out on in high school and it's probably more real than your friends in high school ;)

I don't come here for social validation. BBS's weren't for socializing either - although there was some of that. I still have one life-long brother/friend from high school. I didn't go to high school to make friends by the way.

Do social in real life. You know, with actual people.

Looks pretty cool. Haters are just people who are stuck in their ways. Not saying their ways are wrong but the future is more social interaction online and less in real life. Think about all the time you waste getting somewhere. Flying in a plane, driving in traffic, etc. If you can instant teleport somewhere virtually and get 90% of the experience of being there than sign me up. Especially when it's way cheaper than real travel. Additionally, I can experience places I would never be able to go. Think everest, or bottom of the ocean or mars..

Now the risk is this replaces all real life social interaction for some. But it's no different than anything else. Pain killers are fine for most for recovering from injury, others abuse them and get addicted.

Bring on the VR/AR I say. Hopefully it will allow me to avoid my 1.5hr/day commute to work and I can spend more time with my family.

. Think everest, or bottom of the ocean or mars...

Can you feel the bitter cold and thin air at the top of Everest? I was lucky enough to do some snorkeling earlier this year in Belize. The water and waves surrounding your body, the smell of the air with the salt and humidity, the occasional twinge of fear as you see something gray and formless dart around just outside your vision. The deep and primal realization that as a human being you are not adapted whatsover to this environment?

Cant get that with VR.

It's a thin shadow of the actual experience - like reading a book.

Better than nothing, but far worse than reality.

Looks pretty cool. Haters are just people who are stuck in their ways. Not saying their ways are wrong but the future is more social interaction online and less in real life. Think about all the time you waste getting somewhere. Flying in a plane, driving in traffic, etc. If you can instant teleport somewhere virtually and get 90% of the experience of being there than sign me up. Especially when it's way cheaper than real travel. Additionally, I can experience places I would never be able to go. Think everest, or bottom of the ocean or mars..

Now the risk is this replaces all real life social interaction for some. But it's no different than anything else. Pain killers are fine for most for recovering from injury, others abuse them and get addicted.

Bring on the VR/AR I say. Hopefully it will allow me to avoid my 1.5hr/day commute to work and I can spend more time with my family.

90%? You can't get 90% on just sight and sound. More like 40%. Until VR can affect all 5 senses you will never be fully immersed.

Can you feel the bitter cold and thin air at the top of Everest? I was lucky enough to do some snorkeling earlier this year in Belize. The water and waves surrounding your body, the smell of the air with the salt and humidity, the occasional twinge of fear as you see something gray and formless dart around just outside your vision. The deep and primal realization that as a human being you are not adapted whatsover to this environment?

Cant get that with VR.

You could fairly easily recreate temperature and things like wind with current tech. Smell is something much more difficult and haptic feedback has more work to do to replace real touch. This is first gen. My comment was about where it could go. Also many people do not have the means to go snorkeling in belize. I'm not in that group but with small kids I sure as hell don't have the availability to do it. VR gives you access to experiences you might not be able to get otherwise. If you can get access to the real thing I'm sure it will be superior, but I would "sample" a lot more virtual experiences than I would ever do in real life.

I think you guys are too stuck on better vs good enough. VR will be good enough for a lot of experiences. If it's 10% of the cost for good enough, will that many people spend 10x as much for the real thing? Sounds like you would, but others might think twice. Once again this is all future looking not what's here now. Rift and Vive are nowhere near what needs to be a realistic VR experience. However lets think about the first gen computer or monitor and where we are now 30years later.. I'm still buying first gen though because I'm passionate about tech.

Fair enough. But given the choice between real and VR, always choose real when you can.

Someone has a REALLY, REALLY different definition of draw dropping than I do.

Virtual stickers made of shitty whiteboard sketches and ca. 1998 static 360 images ala realtor.com are not what I'd call jaw dropping.

Cant get that with VR.

There is a vast majority of the world who will never have the opportunity, either for socioeconomic reasons or physical / age related disabilities to experience either of those locations in reality. I would gander that startling number of Americans have never even seen the ocean. VR helps bring those experiences to those where it is not feasible. until they add smellovision we have to settle for sound and sight.

Have you ever been knocked out for over a week by food poisoning after exploring remote temples up the sides of mountains in Indonesia? The reassuring coolness of the tiles on one side of my face, the oppressively wet, hot air and beading cold sweat on the other as I lay on the bathroom floor, the occasional twinge of fear not knowing which end it was going to come out of next.

Can't get that with VR, thank goodness

Have you ever been knocked out for over a week by food poisoning after exploring remote temples up the sides of mountains in Indonesia? The reassuring coolness of the tiles on one side of my face, the oppressively wet, hot air and beading cold sweat on the other as I lay on the bathroom floor, the occasional twinge of fear not knowing which end it was going to come out of next.

Can't get that with VR, thank goodness

Crybaby better stay at home with mommy then.

when i put on vr over 10 minutes,i will get dizzy.what should i do?

Not bother with it. It's going to mess with your equilibrium. It's not a very smart thing to invest in. Very limited use.

Back