Facebook: We 'Really Regret' Our Secret-Test Misfire

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook says it really regrets secretly using members as guinea pigs. Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

"So we clearly communicated really badly about this, and that we really regret," Sandberg told the Indian television station NDTV while in New Delhi. "We do research in an ongoing way, in a very privacy-protected way, to improve our service, and this was done with that goal. I think we are in communication with regulators all over the world and this will be OK. And we will continue to make sure users understand that we care about their privacy. We care about their experience, and we want to do everything we can to give them the best experience we can."

"We really regret actually being dumb enough to admit it and getting caught."

Fixed that..

Well, honestly, it could have gone on purely for market research and they wouldn't have had to disclose anything given the way they interpreted their claims. Now, if it had leaked out after that, they would most likely be in far more trouble than they are now. Which begs the question...perhaps they allowed it to be published academically and let it naturally be leaked in order to gauge reaction in a more organic way. Don't get me wrong I know everybody loves to jump on news like this and overreact but if you stop and think about it, the disclosure was contradictory by nature, and that tends to make me suspicious of what they were really studying.

I would think Google has been doing far, far worse for far longer than Facebook, but anyone using either company's services is just asking for it and deserves any bad things that come from being little walking money plants for them.

They regret being caught, which is a typical reaction of a psychopath. If they regretted screwing with hundreds of thousands of people they'd just not do it.

Wonder if she's also sorry that the "experiment" was funded by DOD / Pentagon?

Cornell Prof Jeffrey T. Hancock behind FaceBook's Pentagon Minerva PsyOps "Emotional Contagion;" Now covering Their Tracks?

"However, an even more creepy connection between the Facebook experiment and the Pentagon has emerged after it was revealed that the original press release from Cornell highlighting the study included a passage at the bottom which read, “The study was funded in part by the James S. McDonnell Foundation and the Army Research Office.”"

I'm surprised universities were involved. It's unethical to experiment on people without their knowledge. Especially with psychological tests.

mmmm nope, they really don't regret it. This is why you hire someone to handle PR to do all the BSing. :D

Will bring up, as I always do in these big data social media posts, but particularly now with DOD funding - they're looking to create a real life version of pyscho-history, Asimov's fictional scientific field of being able to predict and partially control the actions of very large populations of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohistory_(fictional)

What do you think FB is for?

It's to do AgitProp on the idiots who don't realize they're being manipulated.

Identify the "key players" that echo this crap to their friends, compromise those, move on.

The Revolution will not even make Fb, lol.

How the hell does Facebook get away with tricking people into thinking it's a social media site when it's an insidious portal for personal data collection for profit.

Will bring up, as I always do in these big data social media posts, but particularly now with DOD funding - they're looking to create a real life version of pyscho-history, Asimov's fictional scientific field of being able to predict and partially control the actions of very large populations of people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychohistory_(fictional)

Well, though I don't think its always a great idea, I think it's pretty much necessary to engage in large scale thought engineering in order to keep modern, well-connected societies from thinking about and eventually doing things that aren't good for civic order and stability. If the US government is working on using Facebook and other major internet companies to lead that effort and develop the methods and means, I'm happy about it. It'll make things easier for a lot of people that have to work on societal engineering the hard way and it can't come soon enough with all the grumbling and dumb rambling from terrorist-like political parties like the Tea Party or irrational ideologies like libertarianism that promote short-sighted, thoughtless reactionary responses to minor discomforts they're ultimately responsible for having created to begin with.

When people get big dollars the head swells, the dick curls, and suddenly they're pigs. A period of pain ands poverty are in order here.

How the hell does Facebook get away with tricking people into thinking it's a social media site when it's an insidious portal for personal data collection for profit.

Commercials were very average guys or girls are either talking to unrealistically out-of-their-league hot models or commercials showing hot models (male or female) using the product and appearing to have fun doing so. In other words, standard marketing ploys. If you build an online website, that has a massive collection of hot female or male pictures, they will come. Whether it be flicker, instagram, facebook, myspace, etc they all used the idea/hope or wishful thinking that you could connect or establish relationships with these men or women show in profiles.

Commercials were very average guys or girls are either talking to unrealistically out-of-their-league hot models or commercials showing hot models (male or female) using the product and appearing to have fun doing so. In other words, standard marketing ploys. If you build an online website, that has a massive collection of hot female or male pictures, they will come. Whether it be flicker, instagram, facebook, myspace, etc they all used the idea/hope or wishful thinking that you could connect or establish relationships with these men or women show in profiles.

If you are into reddit, you may like the following:

http://www.reddit.com/r/theoryofpropaganda/

Back