Facebook Wants You To Post More About Yourself

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It seems that less and less people are talking about themselves on Facebook. Is this a sign of declining interest in the social network?

Facebook Inc. is working to combat a decline in people sharing original, personal content, the fuel that helps power the money machine at the heart of its social network, according to people familiar with the matter. Overall sharing has remained "strong," according to Facebook. However, people have been less willing to post updates about their lives as their lists of friends grow, the people said.

FB is like a "social diary book".

This is the reason why I rarely post anything now on FB.

Honestly, the only reason I had an account with them at all was to deal with a few businesses that thought creating a Facebook page was a replacement for having an actual website. Another reason was to "like" pages where a company was giving something away in exchange for page likes... which unfortunately, is banned now.

The way I see it, Facebook is almost like its own ecosystem... kind of like being on CompuServe or AOL and only occasionally reaching out to the actual Internet. People on Facebook mostly use Facebook for everything... for chat, for groups, for business, etc. Sure, they use the rest of the Internet sometimes, but so did AOL users. Some people stick to Facebook and Twitter and won't click external links because they're smart enough to worry about viruses/malware, but not smart enough to know exactly how to protect themselves, so they attempt to minimize risk by sticking to major sites and interacting only with people they know.

Last edited:
I'll give it about 5 more years. Facebook will be heading the way of Myspace & others.... once the idea becomes the institution, its all downhill. I think FB has already seen its peak.

I thought it would be due to more scumbag behind the scenes data mining companies getting in on the ad action is why they want more data.

"We noticed that you have not updated your profile to include your social security number, date of birth, mother's maidain name, income, fingerprint/retina scans, colonic map, criminal records, traffic violations yet. Please update your account to stay in touch with your friends! Thank you and have a nice day!"

big-brother-amateur.png

Be very careful what you write. More people in Europe have been arrested for complaining mass immigration and terrorist incidents, then people responsible.
Just understand who your overlord is and keep your head down.

Be very careful what you write. More people in Europe have been arrested for complaining mass immigration and terrorist incidents, then people responsible.
Just understand who your overlord is and keep your head down.

tumblr_inline_o4tpknahAl1rvhbe8_500.gif

That kind of attitude is what we don't need in this country sir.

I've already told them what app games I play, isn't that ENOUGH?! Well... the ones that require a log in that I use facebook log in because I'm too lazy to make another account for.

They should start by eliminating viral video, meme, and news story posts. Scrolling through my Facebook timeline and seeing stuff I already know about from other places on the internet is pretty meaningless. I use the "block content from ____" button constantly but stuff still leaks through. (I just read the article and they say this is the sort of posts dominating Facebook recently.)

Lately I've also seen my timeline get dominated by friends liking/commenting on posts of people with public profiles (or set to friends-of-friends) that they know, but I am not friends with. This isn't relevant to me most of the time so why am I seeing it. With the billions of dollars they have at their disposal you'd think they'd be able to figure this out.

Last edited:
Sounds like people are starting to realize that their online narcicism has consequences in the real world and that posting about every little menial uninteresting detail that happened in your life is not a very smart thing to do.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Sounds like people are starting to realize that their online narcicism has consequences in the real world and that posting about every little menial uninteresting detail that happened in your life is not a very smart thing to do.
HAHAHAHAHAHA, your expectation of the average joe is too high. That said, some of the stuff they post and their consequences were completely imbalanced... but that's the PC world of today.

Or maybe the PC freaks ruined it by trying to ruin every person that has a different viewpoint as theirs.

Oh.... And what kind of attitude is that sir?

any attitude opposing the expansion of the state and its welfare and security apparatus, which is apparently bigotry. You will lose your job if you advocate for anything short of complete abdication of sovereignty. Go search up Rotherham, England, if you don't believe me.

any attitude opposing the expansion of the state and its welfare and security apparatus, which is apparently bigotry. You will lose your job if you advocate for anything short of complete abdication of sovereignty. Go search up Rotherham, England, if you don't believe me.

Hmmm... I think Krenum and its cultural Marxist ideals was trying to oppress this upon me via its retarded meme. Funny thing is it chose a meme from Dr. Strange Love. If Kremum understood the movie, it would never would have used it.
Oppressive leftists tend to have a sense of self loathing and want to spread that to others. Should I post a silly meme of this? Nahhh.

I'll give it about 5 more years. Facebook will be heading the way of Myspace & others.... once the idea becomes the institution, its all downhill. I think FB has already seen its peak.

Oh please please let this be the case...I have boycotted since day one, knew the evil that was being created. Unfortunately, there are too many sheep out there.

for the most part, nobody cares, then the ones who do care, may like or not like you, like the ones who cares may only like it to gossip about you.

Honestly, the only reason I had an account with them at all was to deal with a few businesses that thought creating a Facebook page was a replacement for having an actual website. Another reason was to "like" pages where a company was giving something away in exchange for page likes... which unfortunately, is banned now.
Any business that thinks a facebook page replaces a proper web page gets no business from me. I don't even want to deal with them.

Back