Facebook Wants To Charge $1M For A Video Ad?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy moly, $1 million?!? Isn't that what the Super Bowl charges for ad placement? :eek:

Citing intel from one "executive briefed on the product," Ad Age reported that the video ads would carry a price tag upwards of $1 million, run for no longer than 15 seconds, and be scheduled so that no Facebook user sees more than three such ads per day.

If only someone had invented a technology that would block adverts.

If only people didn't watch adverts or pay attention to them.

If only companies weren't stupid and didn't go for crap like this.

Apparently Superbowl (oops, is the NFL going to sue me for saying that?) ad prices this year were just under four million. Advertising sure is big business. I wonder where all of that money comes from.

Apparently Superbowl (oops, is the NFL going to sue me for saying that?) ad prices this year were just under four million. Advertising sure is big business. I wonder where all of that money comes from.
No, because it's Super Bowl and not Superbowl. ;)

15 seconds is way WAY too long. People will start getting pissed off in no time.

The key to making people actually look at ads, is displaying them in such a way that it does not significantly delay people from getting to their content.

With a 15 second forced video ad, people are just going to start hating whatever company is being advertised.

And super bowl adds are 30 seconds each, with a guaranteed audience of 10's of millions (if not hundreds), and it's the one time of year people are actually looking forward to TV ads.

I still don't get advertising. After learning that Judge Judy gets paid something like $125k per episode, I wondered how it is possible that advertising (during the day none the less) can possibly support that and the associated production costs.

I still don't get advertising. After learning that Judge Judy gets paid something like $125k per episode, I wondered how it is possible that advertising (during the day none the less) can possibly support that and the associated production costs.

Syndication. It's not just going to be shown once, or on that channel or in the US.

advertisers still don't realize people don't look at ads on farcebook ?

Might as well give me the $1 million. I could do more with that than a stupid ad can.

Facebook is going to go down in flames and all our personal info on there is going to go to the highest bidder (even if you thought you deleted your account).

Let me guess, the ads also force themselves and come on full blast, so I can get more damage to my ears when it plays out of the blue, at 120db into my headphones.

Yeah, if this happens I will either find a way to block it, or stop using Facebook.

Silent, banner ads are one thing, and I believe in supporting webpages through their ad revenue.

Video's with sound, that interrupt whatever else you are doing are just plain obnoxious. I will not put up with them at all, in any way shape or form.

Zarathustra[H];1039805258 said:
Silent, banner ads are one thing, and I believe in supporting webpages through their ad revenue.

Same here. I don't mind banner ads. I'll click on them occasionally, to help out a site that I frequent. But, video ads that just start playing while I'm working or listening to music SUCK. Oddly, I think it was Pandora (maybe Slacker) that had a video ad that played over the music that was already playing. Annoying. That site no longer has ads via Ad Blocker. Same thing will happen to Facebook. It doesn't work. It annoys users. The ads will get blocked.

I work with digital billboards so to me the price doesn't seem that high for the exposure they will get. Except for the fact add block doesn't remove billboards next to the freeway. :)

I work with digital billboards so to me the price doesn't seem that high for the exposure they will get. Except for the fact add block doesn't remove billboards next to the freeway. :)

they-live-billboards-messages-john-carpenter.jpg

:p

I have to say this is a stupid idea. I already now have to surf the internet with my speakers muted and only unmute them when i actually want to watch something because there are sites with stupid autoplay videos or embeded video ads all over the place.

If only someone had invented a technology that would block adverts.

If only people didn't watch adverts or pay attention to them.

If only companies weren't stupid and didn't go for crap like this.

then there would not be a lot of resources on the internet... like this forum for example...

Back