Facebook Wants Messages in TV Ads That Force Your Phone to Record Audio

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Facebook speaks out of both sides of their mouth it seems. For the longest time they have said they don't turn on your mic and yet they just received a patent for software that turns on your mic when certain TV ads broadcast an inaudible signal. It appears this is to find out what you/re watching so they can target more ads at you. However, this is just a recent patent and doesn't mean they are going to do it or are doing it, but do you really want to be associated with a company that has something like this in mind?

That’s what Facebook says in its patent, anyway. There is no mention of spying on our private life, invading our privacy, recording our intimate conversations and forcing advertising into the heart of our homes whatsoever.

Make sure you never install the Facebook app on your phone and everybody is good to go. BTW i finally got my wife to remove the facebook app from her phone.....i scored a win there, but she still uses facebook on the web.

Facebook speaks out of both sides of their mouth it seems. For the longest time they have said they don't turn on your mic and yet they just received a patent for software that turns on your mic when certain TV ads broadcast an inaudible signal. It appears this is to find out what you/re watching so they can target more ads at you. However, this is just a recent patent and doesn't mean they are going to do it or are doing it, but do you really want to be associated with a company that has something like this in mind?

That’s what Facebook says in its patent, anyway. There is no mention of spying on our private life, invading our privacy, recording our intimate conversations and forcing advertising into the heart of our homes whatsoever.

Yup, that's why Zuck is such a two faced douche and a liar. He tries to protect his own identity and sue others that leak his photos and info and yet this is what he does to others.

Maybe Burger King should sue Facebook for stealing their idea. The FB patent doesn't seem much different then broadcasting a TV commercial that tells Alexa to look search for Burger King.

Heh, not going to work on me. We've still got a landline so my cell phone get turned off when I get home. Most of the time I also leave it in the garage with my motorcycle jacket. Phones in general are a distraction (yes, I'm old!).

So, the mic only records sounds inaudible to the human ear? riggghhht.

The Mic is always listening. Once it hears the "inaudible morse code just our of range of human hearing" sound from a commercial, supposedly it'll "start recording" all sounds until the commercial is over.

Though, as the youtube video I linked proves they've always been recording. This is just to patent it and sue those who also do it.

I would never give an app microphone permissions unless it absolutely needed it...

But FB absolutely needs that permission in order to better understand you. Surely you want to be understood. Algorithms don't lie, bruh

When will this shit end? How much more money can they make off our data? They just keep gathering data from every part of our life. When is it finnaly enough? They pushed so far now that people just completely filter out ads. Government needs to finnaly work for the people and put a end to all the data collection. See how fast these places will go out of buissness.

Last edited:
When will this shit end? How much more money can they make off our data? They just keep gathering data from every part of our life. When is it finnaly enough? They pushed so far now that people just completely filter out ads.

Yeah, Good old Teddy Roosevelt had the right idea with Trust Busting. Given the potential bad side of human nature, you need checks and balances.

I never used Facebook, and I don't like the way Yelp wants access to your contacts in order to sign up. We're not customers...we're a commodity.

I unfortunately do have Facebook installed for a few random things, however I will drop it completely if this shit goes ahead

C'mon - Zuck has that face that everyone just wants to punch. You can't blame him too much for being an arrogant dickhead when people never liked him in the first place. (I deleted the FB app from my phone a while back...no. I still have an FB account as I have a lot of contacts using it.)

I would never give an app microphone permissions unless it absolutely needed it...

This. Problem is that the ignorant masses either won't or don't know how to implement this. Lemmings or frogs? I can't decide which ones the ignorant masses remind me more of.

Lemmings, unless they come from Norway. Those little bastards are mean.

Make sure you never install the Facebook app on your phone and everybody is good to go. BTW i finally got my wife to remove the facebook app from her phone.....i scored a win there, but she still uses facebook on the web.

There is this you can use as a substitute and much nicer.

Is anyone really shocked? I am come on.

Its just a matter of time until someone abuses it...

Mic has to be on first for it it hear the audible signal from the ad playing on the TV.
Mic is always on on modern phones. that is how Siri and Google use the hands free commands.

So, the mic only records sounds inaudible to the human ear? riggghhht.
I understand what the technology is designed to do. My point was that you won't be able to hear the triggering sound, so you won't know it's happening and therefore won't be reacting to it (they will hear me yelling "fucking hell" or "god damned sound").

Slightly off topic, but in addition to recording audio I'm almost certain they're using the front facing camera to track eye movements to determine the effectiveness of ads.

I uninstalled that shit months ago and have only logged on from my desktop a hand full of times. Deleting the account has been on my todo list for a while, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Back