Facebook "View As" Hack Affects over 90 Million Accounts

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by cageymaru, Sep 28, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Facebook has acknowledged being hacked on Tuesday, September 25th and the security issue directly affected almost 50 million accounts and another 40 million indirectly. The "View As" feature that Facebook implemented in July 2017 is the source of the security issue. The "View As" feature allows users to see what their own profile looks like to someone else. Hackers used this to steal Facebook access tokens which they used to take over accounts belonging to other members of the service. Think of "access tokens" as "digital keys" that allow a person to remain logged into the service without having to re-enter their password when they use the app.

Law enforcement has been contacted and access to "View As" functionality has been disabled until a more secure implementation can be created. Those affected have been notified at the top of their Facebook News Feed and Facebook's security team is working diligently to find out who and from where the attack originated. If they find more affected accounts then they will reset the security tokens for those also. Thanks DejaWiz !

This attack exploited the complex interaction of multiple issues in our code. It stemmed from a change we made to our video uploading feature in July 2017, which impacted "View As." The attackers not only needed to find this vulnerability and use it to get an access token, they then had to pivot from that account to others to steal more tokens. There's no need for anyone to change their passwords. But people who are having trouble logging back into Facebook -- for example because they’ve forgotten their password --should visit our Help Center.

DejaWiz likes this.
  2. HorseproofBacon

HorseproofBacon Limp Gawd

Was wondering why I got logged out twice today. Changed password anyway, even though they said there was no need.

steakman1971 and AceGoober like this.
  3. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

So....Facebook's security team working diligently since July 2017. Nothing to worry about then.

AceGoober and cageymaru like this.
  4. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

This is one of the most powerful companies on earth, folks.

AceGoober likes this.
  5. LostMF1

LostMF1 n00bie

6. LigTasm

LigTasm [H]ardness Supreme

So is facebook pretending security matters while selling your data on the side? Are they just upset over the lost profits?

mashie, qb4ever, steakman1971 and 2 others like this.
  7. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

8. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

The programmers are only human... give them a break! Everyone makes mistakes...

9. Kwaz

Kwaz Whine & Cheezy

ff5.gif

LostMF1 likes this.
  10. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

With any luck, mine gets stolen and I won't have to go through the lost password process to kill the damn thing. Haven't used it in so long, no clue what the password is.

11. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

there was a digital token exploit a few years back. I can't remember what program I used, but if you went to an open wifi, like a hotel, the program could grab tokens from people that were browsing facebook.
    Once you had the token, you were basically in that persons account, could post, add/remove friends, etc..

12. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

I cannot, because the stakes are too high. These companies have way to much power for the "benefit" they give to society. If they were curing cancer, I would accept mistakes. They're just making the world dumber.

JStamsek likes this.
  13. JStamsek

JStamsek Douche Canoe

Have you ever been a victim of identity theft?

14. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

15. ol1bit

ol1bit [H]ard|Gawd

All Facebook is anymore is a political vent application. I do use it to argue with people though. sigh...

16. Bobert

Bobert Limp Gawd

Mark cares about your privacy

original.jpg

17. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

You mean bookface SOLD 90 million accounts of data.

18. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardForum Junkie

It's ok, I have 2FA .... Err, wait.

Facebook is on a roll lately.

19. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

lol same here. I hope they find my nudie pics! :cautious::shifty: