Facebook Unveils the Oculus Rift S

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
At GDC, Facebook unveiled their next PC virtual reality headset. Among other things, the Oculus Rift S features a "higher pixel density" and "improved optics," but doesn't divulge many technical details. According to UploadVR, the new headset now uses a single 2560x1440 LCD instead of dual PenTile 2160x1200 OLED displays. And instead of requiring external sensors, the new Rift uses built-in cameras for tracking. It also features "enhanced" comfort, integrated audio, a better passthrough feature to keep you from bumping into walls, as well as compatibility with the same game library as the previous Rift, along with the same hardware requirements. Facebook says that the Rift S is launching in Spring 2019 for $399 USD.

Check out the launch video here.

Oculus Rift S is our most advanced PC-powered headset. Take on VR's best games with improved resolution and comfortable new design. No external sensors. No complicated set up. Just hands-on action and interaction. Step into the game and the future of PC VR. Coming Spring 2019.

I read the Ars write up about this. I was hoping it would be a headset upgrade only but it includes new controllers as well.

Not sure how I feel about the lack of an AMOLED or the 80hz but it didn't seem to detract all that much from the overall experience. Twice the resolution is a nice bump too. I'll wait and see.

I still need to figure out how to comfortably use my headset with glasses.

I like a lot about the new design, especially the improved ergonomics and faster, simpler setup. Only big disappointment for me is the lack of a wireless option, if it was an add-on option like the VIVE Pro I'd be in for sure. I'll likely keep waiting and see which hits first, new controllers for VIVE or a workable wireless option for the Rift S. I've also got some concerns around possible hand tracking occlusion issues, but they seemed pretty minor in the Ars writeup.

I just got my rift 2 months ago, and I'm not sure how I feel about this announcement now. Lol.

Seriously, though, my biggest concern is taking away the sensor based tracking. While it is more of a pain to set up, it's also much better overall for tracking. I'll be interested to see reviews on the camera based tracking once consumer headsets start releasing. I like the overall design of the Rift S, and I especially like the price. As someone with a higher IPD, I'll be interested to see how the digital IPD solution, as well.

Also, hopefully they'll keep using the Oculus referral program, and extend it to the new headset. That 10% off was the major seller for me on the OG Rift.

Not a fan of closed vendor environments, and the Occulus Rift sure seems to be one. I'm more interested in hardware that I can use with whatever OS I want, with whatever game/app I want, and not have to worry about compatibility or vendor.

Probably everyone who already owns a Rift.........and is ready for Rift 2.0. I'm in.

^^^This is the major reason. Those of us with the original Rift have a fair amount of $ invested in software titles in the Oculus store. Assuming this device can use the same account, I will most likely be getting this as well.

I am pretty happy with the rift eco system, but i was looking for a big resolution upgrade. This should have less screen door effect but what about the god rays?

So it's got a 2560x1440 screen for both eyes - so 1280 x 1440 per eye. It's better than the Vive Pro. HPs headset has a 2160 x 2120 per eye.

I've got the original rift but I'd really like to use it for more than just a fad which will be when the PPI becomes large enough to read text. Mine's collecting dust somewhere.

is it just me.. or does the HP reverb and Rifts-S look very similar?

I read the Ars write up about this. I was hoping it would be a headset upgrade only but it includes new controllers as well.

Not sure how I feel about the lack of an AMOLED or the 80hz but it didn't seem to detract all that much from the overall experience. Twice the resolution is a nice bump too. I'll wait and see.

They wouldnt sell it if it sucked.

They wouldnt sell it if it sucked.

I'm not worried if it will suck. It looks like a solid headset. I'm more concerned about the fact that this is a part that they can manufacture at a lower cost than the previous Rift and' it's existence is to replace the old SKU rather than it being a a true Rift 2. I guess that's why they are going with Rift S since it's less a generational leap and more just small improvements.

I might be better off with a third sensor for $60 than to upgrade to this whole new headset.

Only 42% more dots, LCD and 80Hz, hmmm.
And no re-use of last gen sensors, I hope its at least as good.
If they have made the IPD wide enough, fixed the screen door and focus issues + streaking it might be worth a look.
I'm not sure how it keeps the same minimum PC spec, will it need warp to pull that off?

My hope is this will help drive down the cost of the Vive Pro as that's the one upgrade I haven't done on my Vive.

Anything that pushes this tech forward is good IMO.

42% more dots??? Lmao that alone is worth the upgrade. Still PC connected so it'll look even better.

I'm gonna buy it and sell my rift. With this new S I can VR in any room I want without the need for sensors

I'm on the fence on this one.... My biggest complaint of my Rift is the screen door effect. It's noticeable enough to be an issue when I am using a flight sim, and the resolution isn't quite enough to keep the gauges sharp enough when flying. Both this and the new HP headset announced appeal to me for the increased resolution.

I have a 3rd party prescription insert for my vision. Wearing glasses with the headset was uncomfortable enough to make it not worth doing VR. Having the right lenses installed all the time made it as simple as taking my glasses off and putting the headset on. If I can use the same insert with the Rift-S I would lean towards it. I would need to find a different solution for the HP. But if I can't use them with the Rift-S, I am leaning towards the HP setup. Pretty much every VR app and game I run goes through Steam VR or is natively supported through the App (like X-Plane). I don't particularly like the Occulos software, and having to load it in addition to the SteamVR software seems excessive. So, a headset that works natively on Steam VR is appealing to me.

LMAO.

Vive \ Rift Snobs: "WMR headsets suck, you can't have proper tracking without external sensors. Total garbage product, completely unplayable."

Oculus: "Introducing our new, most advanced headset yet, featuring near identical to all the generic WMR system specs. No need for the hassle of external sensors!"

The only meaningful difference I can see between this set and all the WMRs is that these won't be on clearance for $150 every few months. lol

I'm not worried if it will suck. It looks like a solid headset. I'm more concerned about the fact that this is a part that they can manufacture at a lower cost than the previous Rift and' it's existence is to replace the old SKU rather than it being a a true Rift 2. I guess that's why they are going with Rift S since it's less a generational leap and more just small improvements.

I might be better off with a third sensor for $60 than to upgrade to this whole new headset.

The Rift S is to the original Rift as the iPhone #S is to the iPhone #. It's largely the same as the previous model with some slight enhancements (higher resolution, no need for external sensors) with some cost cutting measures (LCD panel, no hardware IPD adjustment). If they could get the price of this headset below $300 by Christmas it would kill the competition, which I think is their goal.

Based on what Abrash has said at OC4 and 5 I don't think we'll be seeing a true next gen "Rift 2" kit until around 2022.

LMAO.

Vive \ Rift Snobs: "WMR headsets suck, you can't have proper tracking without external sensors. Total garbage product, completely unplayable."

Oculus: "Introducing our new headset, featuring near identical to all the generic WMR system specs. No need for the hassle of external sensors!"

The Rift S has a much larger tracked area than the WMR headsets. 5 sensors vs WMR's 2.

42% more dots??? Lmao that alone is worth the upgrade. Still PC connected so it'll look even better.

I'm gonna buy it and sell my rift. With this new S I can VR in any room I want without the need for sensors

YES....WELL...NO...I mean, remember...the sensors are just now all mounted on your face :)

But you're 100% correct,I think this is where you were going......now your VR space is anywhere you choose, without a tedious set-up process and having to configure VR for "a specific room". I could easily move my VR experience outdoors, for example, in minutes, or into a garage if I needed more open space to play Gorn without putting my fist through my drop-ceiling.

Right now that's a hassle and a half. With this device, all you need is power and your KBM/Box with the rift attached. That is a big deal, truly, in terms of being flexible.

Garage Gorn will be a thing.....

Even though I picked up a rift recently I can see myself buying a rift s and give the rift to the kids or friend for discount, or even make it the go to demo device.

But I want to see how well the no external sensor setup works before pulling the trigger.

Looks like a decent setup. I still haven't entered the VR world.
I'm waiting on a few things: Steam announcement (rumor of their own hardware), Vive updates, and my system is on the edge of being VR capable.

HARD pass for me on the Rift S[hit] as a potential upgrade from a Rift. At best, it is a side grade for Rift CV1 owners with a marginal resolution bump and a whole bunch of cons tacked on (80Hz, loss of separate right/left screens, loss of OLED, loss of good tracking, no physical IPD, loss of good headphones, WMR like controllers, etc.)

This is simply being driven as a marketing/profit move by Facebook and brings very little to the table as to advancing VR tech.

Really hoping Gabe and Valve start pushing out some news soon as the market is now really primed for a Valve HMD/Knuckles release to swoop in and make a big splash.

valve.jpg

Last edited:
Not a fan of closed vendor environments, and the Occulus Rift sure seems to be one. I'm more interested in hardware that I can use with whatever OS I want, with whatever game/app I want, and not have to worry about compatibility or vendor.

Well, as far as original Rift is concerned it is anything but closed. I mean it does have its own closed Oculus store but it also works just fine with SteamVR. There are some games that are designed around Vive wands (for example, cocking the hammer of revolver by sliding the touch controller of a Vive wand) but other games that do not require the specific quirks of Vive wands work just fine with Oculus + Touch controllers.

Dang, I love my HTC Vive, but am curious how this will work and compare to my old hardware.

IMO this has no business being more than $349 as it is a slight downgrade in some respects. I am likely buying one later though and in fact I already put my hardly used Rift on craigslist tonight.

PROS:
nearly eliminates god rays
better resolution and 3 subpixels instead of 2
the 1 foot longer cable will be just right for my setup
display port connection as many newer cards only have one HDMI
eliminates 3 aggravating cables and hogging up the USB ports
no need for those unsightly sensors in my game room
simple setup when using another pc

CONS:
possibly worse audio than the current Rift
possibly a tiny bit worse tracking
worse black levels due to LCD

its been 3 years since cv1 and thats what they have to show for ?

I have high hopes for vr , really hope that it wont be another passing fad like 3D TV were (too bad btw , with more r&d could have been great)

IMO this has no business being more than $349 as it is a slight downgrade in some respects. I am likely buying one later though and in fact I already put my hardly used Rift on craigslist tonight.

PROS:
nearly eliminates god rays
better resolution and 3 subpixels instead of 2
the 1 foot longer cable will be just right for my setup
display port connection as many newer cards only have one HDMI
eliminates 3 aggravating cables and hogging up the USB ports
no need for those unsightly sensors in my game room
simple setup when using another pc

CONS:
possibly worse audio than the current Rift
possibly a tiny bit worse tracking
worse black levels due to LCD

To be honest, Rift cv1 did not have that good blacks either. The blackest black in games is just very dark grey which makes me question why did they even bother to use Oled then.

It's not a bad headset just not much of an upgrade for current Rift/Vive owners and it's just a little too expensive, should have been $349.

If you are looking to buy your first VR headset it's definitely worth considering. When user reviews come out we will get a better idea of how good or bad it is. Sometimes the specs on paper don't tell the whole story. The hardware journalists who tried the Rift S were very positive about it.

Personally, I wasn't expecting a true gen 2 headset, but, I was hoping for a higher resolution headset. I expected the resolution of the Rift S to be at least the same as the Quest. That would have been a decent upgrade over the Rift.

its been 3 years since cv1 and thats what they have to show for ?

I have high hopes for vr , really hope that it wont be another passing fad like 3D TV were (too bad btw , with more r&d could have been great)

This headset isn't for those who already have a Rift. This is for those who didn't buy the Rift because of its drawbacks (namely placing the sensors and USB cords). It's also expected that its price will drop considerably by the Christmas shopping season.

Yesterday, someone appeared on r/Oculus claiming to work for Oculus and said the true successor to the Rift will be released next year. He wouldn't give us details about the new headset other than it being "better than the original Rift in every conceivable way" and while he didn't provide any hard proof of working for Oculus everything he said did align with what some of the known insiders already knew.

LMAO.

Oculus: "Introducing our new, most advanced headset yet, featuring near identical to all the generic WMR system specs. No need for the hassle of external sensors!"

The only meaningful difference I can see between this set and all the WMRs is that these won't be on clearance for $150 every few months. lol
Ya I quite happy with my Samsung Odyssey+ purchase @ $299. Better screen, higher rez, better FOV, amd so far only HMD with anti-screendoor-effect. Can't complain it has been awesome. I am guessing the Rift S will have often sales @ $349 or even $299! It is a cheaper unit made to get them market share. Good strategy I think.

LMAO.

The big difference is the amount of cameras built in. I tried the Acer wmr when it came out and it was largely fine BUT the lack of side and behind your head tracking was very noticable in certain games. It was one of the biggest reasons I passed on the wmr sets and went with the rift. The 5 cameras on the rift s look to fix that limitation.

I'll probably get one...But it's lower res than the Vive Pro, Odyssey+ and HP Reverb. The first two are 1440x1600 per eye and the Reverb is 2160x2160 per eye with rgb stripe, so it should all but completely get rid of screen door. The Odyssey+ with it's anti-sde filter already does for the most part. Disappointed that we're getting a basically low end display, but happy with the tracking setup. After getting the Odyssey+, I don't think I'd go back to external tracking, the only complaint with it was the range of tracking and not the actual tracking quality itself (which is excellent), and the Rift setup should fix that completely. I'll just have to see if the reduced image quality will be worth the trade off. It wasn't worth it anymore for the Cv1 as the image quality was too much of a downgrade, but this may just be enough of a res bump to make it worth it.

I'll grab one when it goes on sale, it will be perfect for my laptop lol. Would be awesome for me and my son to be able to VR together, one on my laptop/rift s and one on my desktop/rift

I hope it's more comfortable for we fatheads with glasses. I had to sell my Rift because of the pain, discomfort, and the third-party lens add-in wouldn't work with my prescription.

This headset isn't for those who already have a Rift. This is for those who didn't buy the Rift because of its drawbacks (namely placing the sensors and USB cords). It's also expected that its price will drop considerably by the Christmas shopping season.

Yesterday, someone appeared on r/Oculus claiming to work for Oculus and said the true successor to the Rift will be released next year. He wouldn't give us details about the new headset other than it being "better than the original Rift in every conceivable way" and while he didn't provide any hard proof of working for Oculus everything he said did align with what some of the known insiders already knew.

Meh, everytime someone appears somewhere claiming something it's never true.

If you had an actual career would you risk it unless you could make thousands of $ (if then?)

I mean I can go into the very same subreddit and say same inane bullshit in the hopes some idiot will PM me his mom's credit card number but why bother

Back