Facebook To Buy Instagram For $1B

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook is buying for $1 billion? Am I missing something? How the hell is Instagram worth a billion dollars?

Facebook will pay $1 billion in cash and stock for Instagram, a 2-year-old photo-sharing application developer, in its largest-ever acquisition just months before the No. 1 social media website is expected to go public.

Instagram cashed out (ie. took the money and ran) and Facebook was basically buying patents. What good is developing the app yourself if you'll get sued later.

crazy -- 2 years of life doing what you love doing and suddenly you are a billionaire

I want to know . . how long until Facebook becomes Fadbook and goes the way of the wind?

Facebook isn't going any where man...it's like youtube now. Can't see why one would call it a Fad.

How much do people have to share with one another? I've never heard of instagram but it sounds like it's only useful for horny guys who want to morph the breasts bigger on a girl they surreptitiously took a photo of at the binge drinking bar the night before.

I expect a new flood of whining iSheep tweets about Instagram being flooded by poor Facebook users :p.

I expect a new flood of whining iSheep tweets about Instagram being flooded by poor Facebook users :p.

Instagram is on both iOS & Android, and Facebook said they do not want to merge the two websites. They view Instagram as its own entity with its own social network, they are just buying it for patents and to boost themselves up a little before they go public.

If I used Instagram, I'd be tempted to close my account because of Facebook. I hate Facebook. But it sounds like they're keeping it separate for now.

Recently I've learned that the program also hosts pictures so maybe it takes into account its hardware as well as patents, employees and... I have no idea.

In other news: FUDGE! I want instagram to die a horrible death. I'm not a pro, I'm not even an amature, I am just a guy with a DSLR and having had everything from crap webcams, to crap film cameras and now a kick butt DSLR I have felt the need and the wonder of great picture quality and now ever jerk and jerket likes to screw up the crap they take with their camera phones and think its art.

By the looks of it, Facebook's management has been blinded by their recent exaggerated estimated valuation ($100 billion?!?), so they approached this from the "throw money at them" standpoint, assuming that $1 billion is just a drop in the bucket to them. We'll see.

Back