Facebook Teen’s Father Shows Some Tough Love

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The video has already received about 3M views and hundreds, if not thousands of comments on his particular brand of parenting. Regardless of how he gets results, you can bet he does gets results. Hell hath no fury like an IT professional scorned. R.I.P. poor little lappy. :D

As a wise old man said to me once (aka my dad) Act like a piece shit...... get treated like a piece of shit.

My objection is that he is criticizing and punishing his daughter for doing exactly what he is doing. He's lowered himself to her level, and has thus lost the high ground.

So rather than address the issues, he further compounded them.

My parents also viewed children as slaves, their words not mine, and it doesn't end well. Sometimes things are a bit more complex than what one party understands. Any time you have to punish someone to get a desired response, you failed.

He's also publicly (to the tune of TENS OF MILLIONS people) embarrassed his daughter for something that should've been done privately.

This is a giant fucking parenting fail, and anyone who fails to see the point I made above is also a failure of a parent.

Regardless of how he gets results, you can bet he does gets results. Hell hath no fury like an IT professional scorned.

Yes, the result's he'll get I am sure are the results he wants. Child being around the house bored to fucking tears with no laptop starts causing mischief and mayhem more-so than before, sleeping around with teenage boys (because before computers/tv came out in small towns with nothing to do, teenagers just made out. Yes, its terrible but true. If you give two hornmonally driven teenagers nothing to do in the middle of nowhere -- something will happen but not the 'results' this father is looking for)

It's a shame he's such a poor communicator really. She's acting out for sure and punishing a kid for acting out is not a terrible idea. The question is -- why -- is she acting out? Is she getting bullied at school so she is trying to transfer it by bullying her parents/the cleaning lady? Does she feel that father doesn't love her because he's a bit of a self-important, seemingly arrogant jerk and acts out in order to get disciplined because the child's mistakenly associating being disciplined by her parents as a sign that they care about her?

IE the 'If I am treated like crap -- then they must care enough to treat me like crap' syndrome that tons of women get into. In which case, her future is going to include strings of terrible guys to piss off the dad and get reassurance via the degredation.

If anything, destroying this laptop will not suddenly fix all the problems in their household, re-establish that loving bond between father and daughter, and cause her daughter to act out less. If he really thought that would be the result, it just goes to show how little he knows. If destroying technology fixes all problems, they might as well go adopt the Omish lifestyle.

He's also publicly (to the tune of TENS OF MILLIONS people) embarrassed his daughter for something that should've been done privately.

This is a giant fucking parenting fail, and anyone who fails to see the point I made above is also a failure of a parent.

There are kids in this world that wouldn't stop listening or feel regret until shame shine upon themselves.

They treated their parents with such a disrespect, especially with a 16 years old, they deserve to be like this.

As a wise old man said to me once (aka my dad) Act like a piece shit...... get treated like a piece of shit.

Touche. Destroying her laptop out of spite over a 'ohh no facebook post' expressing/venting her frustration was acting like a pos and she intern will continue to treat her father like a pos. Thus the cycle continues and the father just made his own problems worse.

I need a new laptop, what a waste. Why can't people just be happy together so innocent laptops don't have to die.

I commend the father for sticking to his word -- "do it again and it'll be worse", which it most certainly was. I find this to be a lacking trait in parents today. Too many are softies.

Though I don't believe this to be a positive form of parenting -- if done in private I feel it would have been much more effective. To come out and publicly, and shit this is REAL public, embarrass your daughter will do more harm than good.

Shooting the laptop with a freaking gun, really? What a NRA nut. This kind of drama teaches the wrong kind of lesson.
I don't even think that giving away the laptop to someone else would have been a better lesson, but that or a thousand other actions would certainly have been better than this shooting.

"And I was really close that day to putting a bullet... through your laptop." ROFL

Saw the laptop and was like... "Oh shiiiiiiit!" then came the exploding hollow points.

Not that I agree with what parenting style was shown you can't necessarily knock him for what he did. Maybe she was a bitch, all we get to see is his response. Re-bonding with the kid would have probably been better.

Also it's "Amish" not "Omish" :D

Let see I was:
Spanked, slap, fed stale dog food, spanked in public( around her age), hand placed on a warming stove, locked out of the house, had my toys thrown in the garbage, drank my own chemical concoctions, soap in the mouth, something w/ dog crap(can't remember that one).

Poor kids, they have it so rough these days.

Shooting the laptop with a freaking gun, really? What a NRA nut. This kind of drama teaches the wrong kind of lesson.
I don't even think that giving away the laptop to someone else would have been a better lesson, but that or a thousand other actions would certainly have been better than this shooting.

He probably plays too many violent video games too! :rolleyes:

Yes, the result's he'll get I am sure are the results he wants. Child being around the house bored to fucking tears with no laptop starts causing mischief and mayhem more-so than before, sleeping around with teenage boys (because before computers/tv came out in small towns with nothing to do, teenagers just made out. Yes, its terrible but true. If you give two hornmonally driven teenagers nothing to do in the middle of nowhere -- something will happen but not the 'results' this father is looking for)

It's a shame he's such a poor communicator really. She's acting out for sure and punishing a kid for acting out is not a terrible idea. The question is -- why -- is she acting out? Is she getting bullied at school so she is trying to transfer it by bullying her parents/the cleaning lady? Does she feel that father doesn't love her because he's a bit of a self-important, seemingly arrogant jerk and acts out in order to get disciplined because the child's mistakenly associating being disciplined by her parents as a sign that they care about her?

IE the 'If I am treated like crap -- then they must care enough to treat me like crap' syndrome that tons of women get into. In which case, her future is going to include strings of terrible guys to piss off the dad and get reassurance via the degredation.

If anything, destroying this laptop will not suddenly fix all the problems in their household, re-establish that loving bond between father and daughter, and cause her daughter to act out less. If he really thought that would be the result, it just goes to show how little he knows. If destroying technology fixes all problems, they might as well go adopt the Omish lifestyle.

Oh god, every single one of you people sound like Dr. Phil. He's showing her that he is her provider and that her bratty self entitlement is his own doing, so if he chooses to rectify her act of spoiled, bratty attitude by destroying something that HE paid for? More fucking power to him.

I bet you people don't condone spanking, either? Yet, I guarantee 95% of you were spanked as children. Remember, spanking isn't beating.

A child being bored to tears, oh noes. Maybe she may appreciate certain privileges in the future, when she has to pay for her own shit.

Touche. Destroying her laptop out of spite over a 'ohh no facebook post' expressing/venting her frustration was acting like a pos and she intern will continue to treat her father like a pos. Thus the cycle continues and the father just made his own problems worse.

It's written "she in turn" as in "one good turn deserves another"
Pride cometh before the fall. The girl has to get humble and be grateful for every little thing she has. A comon failing for adolescents is to think there is no such thing as gravity, but that the earth sucks. Lack of gratitude is an immature reaction to personal ignorance of life's reality. So many have life's terms dictated so much more severely that it is foolish to be ungrateful and the discipline this girl will endure can only help her grow if she accepts this. Otherwise the road is much harsher. Speaking from experience.

There are kids in this world that wouldn't stop listening or feel regret until shame shine upon themselves.

They treated their parents with such a disrespect, especially with a 16 years old, they deserve to be like this.

I can't help but think that these kids are acting with such disrespect due to the wonderful role models their parents have set. This father, basically, taught his daughter today that if your angry at someone, it's ok to destroy their property even if it might say negatively effect their school-work if someone said something bad about you.

So what, the child grows up and anytime someone gossips about her, she destroys their property? That child sounds like a real-messed up kid. The fact that the father is basically acting with the emotional maturity of a high school bully mentality doesn't fill me with faith that he's a great role-model for this child in the first place. I'm not surprised with that kind of role-modelling and parenting that his daughter's acting out.

Things will not be getting better for this 'parent' in the near future either. You're going to have a bored teenager getting into mischief closer to 16/7 in the offline world. The huge amount of 'mischief' she was doing before was 'OMG -- Posting on Facebook' which for a lot of young teens is the equivilent of our generations 'OMG -- Writing in a diary how angry they are at their parents'.

I was a little let down when I saw this video. My fiance showed me it and said this guy fucks up his kids laptop and all I see are some bullet holes, I was a little let down. He shoulda went all out and took a sledgehammer to that bitch! Would have been much better to see tons of little pieces flying around than a couple little holes...

He takes "sticking to his guns" to a whole new level.

But seriously.

1. Just take it away or sell it if he wants it gone permanently. By shooting it, he's acting rashly, violently, and teaching her to destroy things to get back at people. JUVENILLE behaviour.

2. Why post it to her facebook? He's acting just like her, which is where I'm sure she got it in the first place. I'm sure he's made a practice of trying to embarrass her in public or in front of her friends as part of her punishments, so she was trying to do the same with her post on facebook. (apple doesn't fall far from the tree)

He's acting like a child, not a parent.

The results he will get from this are:

Her hating him, and rebelling even more. B/c basically he's just picking a fight with her, not acting like a mature adult correcting her. He's acting like a child hitting her back for hitting him. He's teaching her to attack the ones you love, and hit them where it hurts. Destroy their prized posessions as a retaliation.

This will end badly.... waiting for the video posted from her.

"I shot my dad for shooting my laptop. Here's one bullet in your knee for shooting my laptop, one in your other knee for posting the video on my facebook." :eek:

She will be sleeping around, and keying the cars of her many boyfriends/babies' daddies, etc...

Jerry Springer..... we have some new guests coming your way.

Oh god, every single one of you people sound like Dr. Phil. He's showing her that he is her provider and that her bratty self entitlement is his own doing, so if he chooses to rectify her act of spoiled, bratty attitude by destroying something that HE paid for? More fucking power to him.

Unfortunately we don't really know the other side of the story. I know people (now adults) who don't speak to their parents because their parents were extremely entitled - they felt like their kids should be grateful for every little thing they did and forever be slaves to them.

You brought the child into this world. Nobody forced you to have sex and have a child. As a parent and provider you deserve respect and gratitude, but you are obligated to provide food, shelter, and treat kids like human beings. If you didn't want to provide for your kids maybe you should have kept your pants on.

Oh my Lord, cue the armchair psychiatrists. :rolleyes:

You brought the child into this world. Nobody forced you to have sex and have a child. As a parent and provider you deserve respect and gratitude, but you are obligated to provide food, shelter, and treat kids like human beings. If you didn't want to provide for your kids maybe you should have kept your pants on.

From what we know, she lives in a house and is expected to wake up, go to school, and do a few chores like clean the kitchen when she gets home. How you can say he doesn't "provide" for her is absolutely ludicrous, as she has a nice laptop and other electronics that he personally bought for her in response to her aforementioned responsibilities.

He told her not to do something again, but she did it anyway, so he did what he said he was going to do and take her laptop away (that HE bought) and put a bullet(s) through it. Now she has to buy her own electronics. Oh the humanity. :rolleyes:

That is so wrong on so many levels... and I pity that poor child having to deal with such parenting.

Bravo poppy, bravo. Screw you pansies, she got off light.

Acting up is one thing. Actively lying, and disrespecting me. Bitch better get ready. Me, I would have taken my kids PC, her TV, her smart phone, and sold them on craigslist.

In the end, meh, he is free to parent as he likes within the confines of the law. At least he is attempting to parent. Which is more than I can say for so many out their.

Buncha crybabies in this thread. This girl put her dirty laundry in a public FB post. What's wrong with making her see for herself just how embarassing it is when it's being done to her?

Social networking is not a toy. It can and will be used against you by anyone who wants some dirt on you. Used properly, it can get you a foot in the door on things. Used for more malicious purposes, you can really do some damage to a person's image and their social standing with people they actually have to talk to face to face. That's the whole point of this shit.

I bet you people don't condone spanking, either? Yet, I guarantee 95% of you were spanked as children. Remember, spanking isn't beating.

A child being bored to tears, oh noes. Maybe she may appreciate certain privileges in the future, when she has to pay for her own shit.

+1
part of the lesson hes teaching her is air your dirty laundry on the internet and expect it to happen to you.
Cause meet effect

If his daughter was prepared to put up a post blatantly trying to claim how awful her parents are on the internet (the moment anything is on the internet, it is available to everyone that uses it either directly or indirectly); then I feel him performing a rebuttal the same way is warranted. Hers just didn't go viral, his did.

At least he's using some of the publicity from the video towards increased donations to the Muscular Distrophy Association.

Bravo poppy, bravo. Screw you pansies, she got off light.

Acting up is one thing. Actively lying, and disrespecting me. Bitch better get ready. Me, I would have taken my kids PC, her TV, her smart phone, and sold them on craigslist.

In the end, meh, he is free to parent as he likes within the confines of the law. At least he is attempting to parent. Which is more than I can say for so many out their.

Thank you! It's not a facebook post, it's the disrepsect and lies in the facebook post. Just because it used a different medium than say a speech, or letter, doesn't mean it's suddenly worst or better.

From what we know, she lives in a house and is expected to wake up, go to school, and do a few chores like clean the kitchen when she gets home. How you can say he doesn't "provide" for her is absolutely ludicrous, as she has a nice laptop and other electronics that he personally bought for her in response to her aforementioned responsibilities.

That's his side of the story. As I said, I've seen this from both sides with friends. I know somebody whose hands/arms were burned (repeatedly) because his father forced him to change the car in his (the father's car) when the engine was still really hot. Father's view is "I don't make my child do much and I punish them accordingly when they disobey." To him his kid's complaints were just whining and he should be punished for that. He just left out the "my kids hand's were burned" when he tells the story of how ungrateful his child is.

Yeah, that guy hasn't talked to his dad in years and is never going to.

Read his facebook page. I think he's a fair dad. He shared details from talking with his daughter and so on.

Back