Facebook Suing Social Network Site For Teachers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook is suing a website for teachers called TeachBook over the “book” portion of the name. Obviously the two are so similar that Facebook had no other choice. :rolleyes:

“Misappropriating the distinctive book portion of Facebook’s trademark, defendant has created its own competing online networking community in a blatant attempt to become a Facebook for teachers,” (.pdf) according to a filing in San Francisco federal court.

Once it starts it will never end. Why aren't they suing F**kbook I keep getting spam emails about?

Next up, in order:

audiobook.com
bluebook.com
book.com
casebook.com
cashbook.com
checkbook.com
codebook.com
cookbook.com
datebook.com
guidebook.com
handbook.com
logbook.com
matchbook.com
notebook.com
passbook.com
playbook.com
pocketbook.com
schoolbook.com
scrapbook.com
sketchbook.com
songbook.com
storybook.com
stylebook.com
textbook.com
workbook.com
yearbook.com

followed by these [URL="vhttp://www.statsinfinity.com/word/BOOK/1.html]199110 domains[/URL]

Next they'll be suing Fark for using 'Fa', Google for using 'oo' and the A-Team.

Isnt the key here that the service TeachBook is becoming a social network, which competes with the social network Facebook? I believe that if TeachBook was a different service other than "social networking" Facebook would have less of a ground to sue on.

-Cool-

So, every time someone goes to the library and says the word "book" the Zucker-Dude wants a payment or something?

This guy is just over the top.

They can sue for anything with the word book in it?

Yes, they absolutely can.

Whether or not they can win is another story.

I find it hard to believe that a court would side with Facebook on this one considering how long it has been that "Teach" and "Book" have been associated with each other. But, that's just me. Facebook will probably win sadly.

Teachbook.com just got a whole lot of publicity... I just hope they win and Facebook has to pay the legal fees.

Yes it's a social network but the "competing" part is crap, if you ask me. It's a specialized web site for teachers. It might even improve our education system. If Business wins over Education... we all lose.

Next up, in order:

audiobook.com
bluebook.com
book.com
casebook.com
cashbook.com
checkbook.com
codebook.com
cookbook.com
datebook.com
guidebook.com
handbook.com
logbook.com
matchbook.com
notebook.com
passbook.com
playbook.com
pocketbook.com
schoolbook.com
scrapbook.com
sketchbook.com
songbook.com
storybook.com
stylebook.com
textbook.com
workbook.com
yearbook.com

They're not social networking sites.

What a way to make yourself look like a total juice bag, sue a bunch of teachers.

I refuse to sign up for facebook.

What a way to make yourself look like a total juice bag, sue a bunch of teachers.

I refuse to sign up for facebook.

I should become a teacher so I can infringe on copyrights and trademarks without impunity. Suck it RIAA!

anything can become a social networking site if it supports "comments" and the developers opt to tie that into forums and then profiles and micro-blogs. Most forum software does that today.

[H]ardBook.com

I'd definitely go there.

Sounds like a naught place to me.

I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Would the "teachbook" domain exist if it weren't for "facebook"? I'm going to have to go with a probably not on that one. That doesn't mean they have a legal case but I think it's pretty friggin obvious why they picked the name they did.

I think Facebook has a legitimate complaint here.

If I created a company called "Macrosoft" and sold my operating system called "Apertures," Microsoft would sue me and probably win for attempting to rip off their trademarks by similarity.

TeachBook is making a social networking site, probably based on the Facebook model, and they're stealing the idea for the name from Facebook. TeachBook wouldn't be nearly as notable a name if Facebook hadn't been such a huge success and garnered such a name reputation, which is the point of a trademark, so Facebook has to attempt to defend what it sees as incursions upon its trademark.

Yet another frivolous lawsuit. :rolleyes:

This, in a nutshell, is what's wrong w/ the USA. :mad:

Next up, in order:

audiobook.com
bluebook.com
book.com
casebook.com
cashbook.com
checkbook.com
codebook.com
cookbook.com
datebook.com
guidebook.com
handbook.com
logbook.com
matchbook.com
notebook.com
passbook.com
playbook.com
pocketbook.com
schoolbook.com
scrapbook.com
sketchbook.com
songbook.com
storybook.com
stylebook.com
textbook.com
workbook.com
yearbook.com

You forgot Bookbook.com. That will really fuck them up.

I propose "crookbook.com", a social network for everyone who steals Facebook's trademark.

facebook has a point.. teachbook is pretty much copying facebook

Yeah, it's not that it's just another site with "-book" in the name. It's a social networking site with "-book" in the name.

Back