Facebook Slapped With Racial Discrimination Suit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook sure seems to be having a hard time understanding that whole "discrimination is a bad thing" lately. Employees at the company's North Carolina data center are claiming that Facebook didn't respond promptly to repeated complaints of harassment and are asking for $25,000 in compensatory and punitive damages each.

Facebook was struck with a racial discrimination lawsuit after two black employees at the social network's North Carolina data center alleged the company didn't respond promptly to repeated complaints of harassment. The suit, filed Tuesday in US District Court for the Northern District of California, alleges Facebook allowed "retaliation against the employees reporting discrimination to fester and continue" at the facility despite their continued complaints.

I have reported some rather nasty harassment on Facebook posts in the past just to see a response saying that the comments don't violate their policies. Starting to think they should either start enforcing the policies or change them.

Some of his complaint seems baseless, example:

In November,2012, Mr. Gary was hired by Facebook as a Facilities Maintenance technician and paid $20.05 per hour.

Throughout the second half of 2013 and 2014, Facebook hired 2 several new white employees who were placed in the same position or positions highly similar to that held by Mr. Gary .... these white employees were given starting pay between 22.00 and 24.00 per hour

Maybe they just negotiated better? I know I get paid more than most of my peers that were hired at the same time and are the same race/gender as I am. They took the first offer, I negotiated. That's not proof of my employer being racist, that's me being smart. Also, the workers this guy is complaining about were hired in later years than he was, maybe they raised the minimum starting wage for the year, that's how lots of large corporations do things.

I have reported some rather nasty harassment on Facebook posts in the past just to see a response saying that the comments don't violate their policies. Starting to think they should either start enforcing the policies or change them.
Or people can stop being whiny bitches.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Some of his complaint seems baseless, example:

In November,2012, Mr. Gary was hired by Facebook as a Facilities Maintenance technician and paid $20.05 per hour.

Throughout the second half of 2013 and 2014, Facebook hired 2 several new white employees who were placed in the same position or positions highly similar to that held by Mr. Gary .... these white employees were given starting pay between 22.00 and 24.00 per hour

Maybe they just negotiated better? I know I get paid more than most of my peers that were hired at the same time and are the same race/gender as I am. They took the first offer, I negotiated. That's not proof of my employer being racist, that's me being smart. Also, the workers this guy is complaining about were hired in later years than he was, maybe they raised the minimum starting wage for the year, that's how lots of large corporations do things.
Bitching about making $20/hour in North Carolina, a state with one of the lowest costs of living in the country, was your first mistake. The second was not taking into account any annual merit increases to your base salary over the years. If they offer the standard annual 5% for exceptional performance, he would be at $22.10 in 2014 (assuming he didn't qualify his first year for starting so late).

I know I get paid more than most of my peers that were hired at the same time and are the same race/gender as I am.

That's not proof of my employer being racist, that's me being smart.
Hopefully this isn't the type of "reasoning" you utilize while on the clock.

Back