Facebook Says Probe Found No Evidence Of Bias

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook announced today that it has completed a thorough investigation of itself and found no evidence of wrongdoing. Ever. For anything. Why is the letter written by Facebook's lawyer? Who cares? They conducted a thorough one week investigation and exonerated themselves and that's all that matters. :rolleyes:

Our investigation has revealed no evidence of systematic political bias in the selection or prominence of stories included in the Trending Topics feature. Our data analysis indicated that conservative and liberal topics are approved as trending topics at virtually identical rates. We were also unable to substantiate any of the specific allegations of politically-motivated suppression of particular subjects or sources. In fact, we confirmed that most of the subjects mentioned in media reports were included as trending topics on multiple occasions.

This thing is a bit silly to me. I'm not a big Facebook user but my wife is and she never looks at the trending feed. I'm guessing the overwhelming about news and other that people get from Facebook are going to come from what friends are sharing.

If I owned a company, conducted my own audit, of course I'm not going to find any wrong doings. Some of it is just human nature - not necessarily intentionally trying to do anything wrong. They should just fess up and admit that humans work there. Humans have bias.

Then what about this? Even if you're an ultra-liberal, it's pretty hard to deny that there's some monkey business going on there, intentional or not.

No officer, this is not beer in this bottle between my legs. And as your commanding officer, I recommend you have some.

Then what about this? Even if you're an ultra-liberal, it's pretty hard to deny that there's some monkey business going on there, intentional or not.

Name a social media that isn't full of lefties. A majority of people who post on these always have to have a "cause". That's why I don't use them.

Not really sure what the issue is here. This is clearly an anti-abortion video and there's nothing inherently wrong about that. These people don't believe in abortion. If someone wants to translate that into something else, that's their own bias at play.

Last edited:
Facebook has admitted to unintentional liberal bias in the trending feed to Dana Perino and other conservatives who were invited to their headquarters to meet about the allegations. What they have denied is the idea that this bias was intentionally promoted by management, the most damning of the allegations by the unknown whistle-blowing contractor.

Zuck is not stupid, he knows that if Facebook develops a reputation for bias one way or another it will alienate a large number of people. Everything Facebook is saying or doing will confirm that its official policy is it will be a neutral party, but that does not mean that someone working there hasn't or won't seek to use the platform to promote their personal agenda.

Joseph

Aggregating Facebook content trends aren't going to reveal some new super special "everyone is right" news trend. Social media is an endless collection of dog piles.

You don't have to censor an echo chamber to see an overwhelming trend, there's no variety in the noise.

Even the anonymous source admitted that it wasn't a directive from on high if I recall correctly. It all seemed to boil down to how the individuals felt about various stories and truly seemed to be a per-person decision. I know that they had to do an "investigation" to keep the investors happy but other than that it seems much ado about nothing.

Name a social media that isn't full of lefties. A majority of people who post on these always have to have a "cause". That's why I don't use them.
Socially left, sure. Economically, not really. They tend to tow the line in making sure things are pro business as possible. I mean how many tech companies do we hear about pushing H-1B visas so they can pay workers less? Or hey, how about Apple, Google, & friends found guilty of colluding to keep wages down among workers? I'd be surprised if Facebook is much different. Socially left on stuff that doesn't actually matter.

I'm not suggesting one ideology is right or wrong (they are both right and wrong in certain circumstances), I believe liberal ideologies are typically better accepted among mass audiences so they typically trend more. 75 years ago it would probably be the other way around.

I rarely even look at FB these days, maybe when the wife says there is something family related I should look at.

But as far as politically biased I had a link where it was more or less just meta data and not so much politically biased that was reputable when the story first came out.

I'm not going to dig for it, just seems like the usual internet spam to begin with to me.

A non story that has gained traction.

Back