Facebook Repeatedly Trending Fake News Since Firing Human Editors

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why is Facebook still trending fake news stories? Who cares, blame the algorithms! Then fire someone on the team that created the algorithm and then decline to comment about anything on the record. TA-DA! The system is working as Facebook intended. ;)

As part of a larger audit of Facebook’s Trending topics, the Intersect logged every news story that trended across four accounts during the workdays from Aug. 31 to Sept. 22. During that time, we uncovered five trending stories that were indisputably fake and three that were profoundly inaccurate. On top of that, we found that news releases, blog posts from sites such as Medium and links to online stores such as iTunes regularly trended.

Maybe this can be cover for the politician of their choice.
Ironically, this was implemented because there were accusations of political bias by the human moderator crew. Facebook predictable overreacted to it, and now, trending news is picked by AI, which can't tell the fake from the real.

Let me guess, anything that originated from drudgereport.com is "fake" news. And seeing how that's what usually trending, it's probably up there quite a bit. No worries, they will shut it down shortly anyway. /sigh

I get sick of hearing what my friends saw on the news was FROM THE FACEBOOK. I always tell them to check on the internet or google it instead of THAT.

Hmmm.

We already have kinda-believable call bots. How hard could it be to make an algorithm that spits out native ads?

We already know that fake news sells in the tech community. Why not everywhere else?

People actually get news from fakebook?, no wonder donald won the republican primary. Tis a sad world we live in.

Indeed. For a lot of people Facebook *is* the internet.

Reactions: rat
like this
This is Eliza Cassan reporting live from Picus

Indeed. For a lot of people Facebook *is* the internet.

Sadly this is true for some of my friends who got on the internet in the mid 90's.

If you read news using Facebook you're a retard to begin with. So it makes zero difference if the news is real or not.

I dont know all the anti-democrat hate here, if you use facebook this is the crap I see:
a. racist fake new stories
b. conservative fake news stories which doesn't make conservatives look well or ignorant memes linked to a less than credible news site
c. stupid fake news to shock you about kids
d. stupid fake news against cops... which is just dumb

Its all fake news stories to shock/scare people and from fake news sites.

I have yet to see a democrat or republican news article that has been from a non-fake news site on my feed. I would say 99% of the articles I do see are from idiots who fall for shock stories and probably have 9000 pieces of malware on their mobile.

Also when did the republican party become a bunch of whiny pansies? That is very weird as well on facebook, forums and everywhere else. I don't recall that in the bush era. Constantly "whoa is me" and "feel bad for us" and "everyone is out to get us" crap mentality. Man up, be a good person and quit being a big baby.

On FB, one can print news stating a new law was put in place to require all motorcycles have four (4) wheels to save lives and people will believe it.

On FB, one can print news stating a new law was put in place to require all motorcycles have four (4) wheels to save lives and people will believe it.

I have stopped reading a majority of news sites that have the stupid fake scam news on their own sites as ads or fake ads that are like "wisconsin drivers are freaking out about this new rule".

Any news site that uses these fake ads are becoming a joke which is a majority of them who just pay for AP news articles anyway.

Maybe this can be cover for the politician of their choice.
What I don't get about this comment is... well all of it. I assume you are implying that the politician of their choice is Shillary, and therefore you are probably a republican. But don't most republicans believe that businesses should be more free to act as they see fit, and even to be politically active (Citizen's United was arguably a republican effort if you look at how the judges chose). Then you are disgusted with companies acting politically when it's in opposition to your beliefs, seems sorta strange to me.

I keep seeing a ton of "Trending" news from places like Breitbart popping up on Facebook. If they are trying to push a liberal agenda, they are not doing a very good job.

If you read news using Facebook you're a retard to begin with. So it makes zero difference if the news is real or not.

It's just an aggregate for other news sources. Facebook themselves don't actually post any news, it all comes from third parties.

It's just an aggregate for other news sources. Facebook themselves don't actually post any news, it all comes from third parties.

Well duh. As shown Facebook has control over what news you get fed and there is zero checks for source credibility. That along all the other scum that is Facebook should make anyone steer away from such source.

It's really disgusting how feeble minded and short sighted people are in general.

Well duh. As shown Facebook has control over what news you get fed and there is zero checks for source credibility. That along all the other scum that is Facebook should make anyone steer away from such source.

It's really disgusting how feeble minded and short sighted people are in general.

My point is that you have to vet your sources when you read news regardless of where it comes from. Facebook is not inherently worse than any other news aggregate from what I have seen. Other than, of course, these fake news articles that are easily exposed.

My point is that you have to vet your sources when you read news regardless of where it comes from. Facebook is not inherently worse than any other news aggregate from what I have seen. Other than, of course, these fake news articles that are easily exposed.

Oh how wrong you are. Facebook and other giant corporations are the worst source because they have the knowledge and resources to shape your information feed and thereby place you in a bubble of a modified truth. If there was anything dumber than posting your private information on Facebook, it's reading news from their 'feed'.

Oh how wrong you are. Facebook and other giant corporations are the worst source because they have the knowledge and resources to shape your information feed and thereby place you in a bubble of a modified truth. If there was anything dumber than posting your private information on Facebook, it's reading news from their 'feed'.

So you're saying they have the resources to actually change the information on completely separate websites to skew news articles? Wow, never knew that, thanks for your valuable insight... :rolleyes:

People actually get news from fakebook?, no wonder donald won the republican primary. Tis a sad world we live in.
Actually Trump won the primary because the media gave him over $2 billion in free airwaves promoting the shit out of him. Now that he won the nomination, they're not giving him anything that's positive for him.

I dont know all the anti-democrat hate here, if you use facebook this is the crap I see:
b. conservative fake news stories which doesn't make conservatives look well or ignorant memes linked to a less than credible news site

Its all fake news stories to shock/scare people and from fake news sites.

I have yet to see a democrat or republican news article that has been from a non-fake news site on my feed. I would say 99% of the articles I do see are from idiots who fall for shock stories and probably have 9000 pieces of malware on their mobile.

Also when did the republican party become a bunch of whiny pansies? That is very weird as well on facebook, forums and everywhere else. I don't recall that in the bush era. Constantly "whoa is me" and "feel bad for us" and "everyone is out to get us" crap mentality. Man up, be a good person and quit being a big baby.

Doesn't matter. If they see anything "negative" it is the lefts fault. It's a product of the candidate. Facts are gone, left in it's wake is sensationalist bullshit with pandering to a specific group of people... who unfortunately are extremely vocal because they think everyone cares. And are ALWAYS on the internet. Which is concerning.

Almost daily the guy I work with is telling me about something that is ridiculously false, and I have to tell him it's not true.

Ditto. If when I first search for info about an article and the first three links have something to do with satire or 'fake story' is in the titles, it is a bad sign lol.

So you're saying they have the resources to actually change the information on completely separate websites to skew news articles? Wow, never knew that, thanks for your valuable insight... :rolleyes:

First: A lot of it is in the heading. Second: They are not changing the articles, it's which articles they choose. It has been proven a bias is in play, beginning with human mods and now inherent in the algorithm. Google, Facebook and others have a revolving door at the WH, and by extension into the Clinton campaign. If you don't think they are spinning EVERYTHING or at least attempting to, you are woefully ignorant. The list grows every day of items coming out; journalists who have thrown in the towel completely for their ideology, collusion between the DOJ and CF/Clinton campaign, the only thing I'm not seeing are actual smoking guns for the bodies they find related to all of this. It will happen, I guarantee it.

And to the person who said conservatives are whiners. Since when is this whining? These are FACTS. I know the left hates facts, as they cannot dispute them using crazed adoration and unhinged emotion. People willing to overlook the mountains of corruption from this administration have no place in America, they are actively participating in the downfall of the greatest nation in the universe.

First: A lot of it is in the heading. Second: They are not changing the articles, it's which articles they choose. It has been proven a bias is in play, beginning with human mods and now inherent in the algorithm. Google, Facebook and others have a revolving door at the WH, and by extension into the Clinton campaign. If you don't think they are spinning EVERYTHING or at least attempting to, you are woefully ignorant. The list grows every day of items coming out; journalists who have thrown in the towel completely for their ideology, collusion between the DOJ and CF/Clinton campaign, the only thing I'm not seeing are actual smoking guns for the bodies they find related to all of this. It will happen, I guarantee it.

And to the person who said conservatives are whiners. Since when is this whining? These are FACTS. I know the left hates facts, as they cannot dispute them using crazed adoration and unhinged emotion. People willing to overlook the mountains of corruption from this administration have no place in America, they are actively participating in the downfall of the greatest nation in the universe.

Careful, your bias is showing.

Reactions: rat
like this

^ Great examples of the fake shit that people believe that trends. Overwhelmingly the Trump supporters I see commenting have a much, much lower burden of proof for fear mongering bullshit than they do for hard evidence against what they believe. Eg, Anti Vaxxers, "thugs", Drug War statistics, lies about how they're coming to take all your guns away, Sandy Hook was a hoax, etc.

Back