Facebook Releases New Messenger Kids App

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Facebook released their new Messenger Kids app today that they say is a safe and easy way for kids to video chat and message with their family and friends. This app can be controlled from the parents Facebook account so that should give it the added security that's needed. I like the thought behind the app and hope it's successful.

To give kids and parents a fun, safer solution, we built Messenger Kids, a standalone app that lives on kids’ tablets or smartphones but can be controlled from a parent’s Facebook account. Whether it’s using video chat to talk to grandparents, staying in touch with cousins who live far away, or sending mom a decorated photo while she’s working late to say hi, Messenger Kids opens up a new world of online communication to families. This preview is available on the App Store for iPad, iPod touch and iPhone.

I have a 9 and 11 year old. They are not allowed to use social media yet. I might take a look at what they are offering here, but am skeptical to say the least.
My home network is locked down pretty tight. I know they will go to friend's houses and access some of the stuff - but I'm doing what I can on my end. I just don't think they are ready and would rather them do something more constructive with their time.
When I was younger, my parents had no clue what I was doing on my computer. I did a lot of things I should not have with my modem. It was mostly piracy and maybe some hacking (if you want to call it that). I met some bad people - had access to drugs from a few older dudes who ran bulletin boards. At least I was smart enough to skip that part. Anyway, nice try but no thanks.

Absolute not. Even worse since it's from Facebook.

Guess they are having problems attracting new zombies, so they want to start the brainwashing earlier.

Facebook doesn't give a shit about privacy, just getting everyone onboard. Fuck Facebook.

Back