Facebook Refuses to Take Down Tribute Page to Killer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook has upset a group of people by refusing to remove a tribute page dedicated to a guy that maimed and killed innocent people. What do you think, is Facebook right or wrong in this situation?

"I cannot understand any wave, however small, of public sympathy for this man. There should be sympathy for his victims and the havoc he wreaked in that community. There should be no sympathy for him,'' some members of the British Parliament are suggesting that Facebook should remove the Moat fan page.

Sounds like Facebook is doing the right thing. Good for them.

Should Facebook remove things that are offensive solely because of the idea behind them? Should they remove every anti-Israel, anti-Palestinian, white supremacist, black supremacist, or every web page degrading to women? No, it's the internet. Let it be free.

Free speech is the greatest and worst thing we have. Protecting from the latter causes the loss of the former.

I don't get it, how do people think this guy is a hero? They remove bong smoking baby page but they keep tribute to cold blooded killer? wtf

Free speech is the greatest and worst thing we have. Protecting from the latter causes the loss of the former.

x2

Good for facebook for not catoring to these groups. They have every right in the world to support this scum bag, no matter how wrong they are.

it's called freedom of speech, no matter how F'd up your viewpoint is, you're able to express it without the government stepping in and shutting you up....

maybe you should look it up sometime......

its facebook....

if we have to read about some moron's childs every bowel movement, then let some nut jobs do this...

Even though I don't agree with it, as soon as we give up our rights, we give up our freedom.

The problem is they are not actually protecting freedom of speech...

They have removed politically/religiously objectionable material before.

The latest example was the 'Draw Mohammad day!' group on Facebook. That was removed by Facebook.

This was done because Facebook was blocked by the Pakistani government in response to the group.

The funny thing to me about the Mohammad group, is the reason according to the Koran that drawing Mohammad is forbidden is image worship... Trust me these were not images anyone would worship...

If anything this just shows Facebook just allows this sort of thing out of laziness... They'll hold to not doing anything until it becomes a bigger hassle then just removing the group.

Hate to say it but its free speech at its worst. But if this group gets there way and force them to take it down than your giving groups the precident forcing Facebook to take down other pages for being offensive.

There is no freedom of speech on someone's property, in this case, Facebook's servers. They can and will do what they want how they want. If they want to take down a page, it's their choice. If they want to keep a page up of a baby killer, it's their choice.

Oh, and Free Hat.

Yep, freedom of speech is a tradeoff, just like everything else in the world.

The sad sad fact of the matter is this: Face book is picking this high profile fight while shutting down whatever else they want to. They are trying to look like supporters of free speech in doing this. But they are NOT. It is a private industry. The only thing free about going there is the time you give them to look at the advertisements that they sell.

I agree with Facebook's stance in this matter. They should leave the page alone. If people want to distastefully praise a murderer, then the onus is on them, not Facebook. Leaving the page intact is the fair thing to do, IMO.

Doesn't this sound like that person who took photos of that famous womans house and put it on a website that noone saw. Then when he was told to take it down because they might, it got lots of public attention, so everyone did... Damnit whats the names...

The sad sad fact of the matter is this: Face book is picking this high profile fight while shutting down whatever else they want to. They are trying to look like supporters of free speech in doing this. But they are NOT. It is a private industry. The only thing free about going there is the time you give them to look at the advertisements that they sell.

This.

Facebook doesnt give 2 shits, they will hop to whatever side they think will get them more hits.

Hate to say it but its free speech at its worst. But if this group gets there way and force them to take it down than your giving groups the precident forcing Facebook to take down other pages for being offensive.
Precedent already set.

Yep.

Just because I don't agree with the view doesn't mean the people shouldn't be allowed to express their view. I don't want facebook to turn into the censorship police.

Raoul Moat needed psychiatric help, and he killed one person after telling the prison guards he was going to when he gets out. He shot 2 others and threatened the police, one murder others "attempted".

The guy needed help, and should of got it but people were blind and didn't see it coming.

I say keep the page, some people have their opinions, so long as their opinions are not a danger to others i don't see why the page shouldn't be kept.

Doesn't this sound like that person who took photos of that famous womans house and put it on a website that noone saw. Then when he was told to take it down because they might, it got lots of public attention, so everyone did... Damnit whats the names...
Or the one where that woman let her child run naked around her front lawn and Google Streetcar caught it and she made a big fuss about it to the news instead of getting Google to take it down?

Or the one where that woman let her child run naked around her front lawn and Google Streetcar caught it and she made a big fuss about it to the news instead of getting Google to take it down?

No! the famus woman, in LA...damn google! wikipedia

Found it!

Streisand Effect

"The Streisand effect is a primarily online phenomenon in which an attempt to censor or remove a piece of information has the unintended consequence of causing the information to be publicized widely and to a greater extent than would have occurred if no censorship had been attempted. It is named after American entertainer Barbra Streisand, following a 2003 incident in which her attempts to suppress photographs of her residence inadvertently generated further publicity.

As early as 1993, John Gilmore observed that "the Net treats censorship as damage and routes around it." Examples of such attempts include censoring a photograph, a number, a file, or a website (for example via a cease-and-desist letter). Instead of being suppressed, the information receives extensive publicity, often being widely mirrored across the Internet or distributed on file-sharing networks.

This phenomenon is the Internet equivalent of the earlier-known effect of a listing on the Index of Prohibited Books. The Index was discontinued in 1966, but in its time, it would act as a reading list for what were, or would become, best sellers, and Papal condemnation was seen as a welcome endorsement
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I had no idea about it, and would never have seen it without these news stories about getting it removed...

The problem is they are not actually protecting freedom of speech...

They have removed politically/religiously objectionable material before.

The latest example was the 'Draw Mohammad day!' group on Facebook. That was removed by Facebook.

If anything this just shows Facebook just allows this sort of thing out of laziness... They'll hold to not doing anything until it becomes a bigger hassle then just removing the group.

Yeah, Facebook is certainly no champion of free speech. They only leave something up if they think it's less trouble than taking it down. If Britain threatened them like Pakistan's government did would they take the page down then or does that 'I'll do violence' only work when it comes to Mohammad?

Wrong thread. The Obama bashing thread is to you left. The Bush bashing thread is down the hall. The Steve Jobs bashing thread is upstairs. And the Steve of [H] worshiping thread is downstairs.

Wrong thread. The Obama bashing thread is to you left. The Bush bashing thread is down the hall. The Steve Jobs bashing thread is upstairs. And the Steve of [H] worshiping thread is downstairs.

Do you think Steve likes Barbra Streisand???

LMAO, it was just a joke- meant to be taken lightly.
But the comments are golden, :p

Yeah Facebook is pretty fucked up when it reccomends that I "reconnect with" my friend who died a few years back. Thank you stupid website for reminding me

Well no shit it's freedom of speech. I'm talking about those morons. People that praise this guy are effed up. Not that this is news. The whole world is crazy. :|

Well no shit it's freedom of speech. I'm talking about those morons. People that praise this guy are effed up. Not that this is news. The whole world is crazy. :|

Most of those people are probably either trolling and doing it ironically, or they are angry with their own version of a police state and lashing out in a provocative way to express themselves.

Yeah Facebook is pretty fucked up when it reccomends that I "reconnect with" my friend who died a few years back. Thank you stupid website for reminding me
Until they put in a date of death field, this is going to happen.

There's an option for you to not have them recommend a person anymore. I did it with my ex so I never had to see her face again.

x2

Good for facebook for not catoring to these groups. They have every right in the world to support this scum bag, no matter how wrong they are.

That's my take on it. You either accept free speech completely or not at all. You don't get to pick and choose what it acceptable and what isn't.

There's an option for you to not have them recommend a person anymore. I did it with my ex so I never had to see her face again.
The reconnect notifications are different. And much creepier: "You haven't talked to XXXX in awhile..." or something like.

Back