Facebook Puts A Price On Suburban Living For Employees

HardOCP News

[H] News
Awesome benefit for Facebook employees or evil plot by the social network to accelerate the gentrification of nearby lower-income communities?

To qualify for the payment, which the social networking firm started offering in the last 12 months, according to current and former Facebook workers, employees must buy or rent a home within 10 miles (16 km) of the Facebook campus at One Hacker Way, a desolate strip of road overlooking a marsh about 30 miles (48 km) south of San Francisco. Some Facebook employees with families to support could earn a one-off payment of $15,000 or more for housing costs.

Not convinced that Palo Alto has every been lower-income.

Also, poor people are poor by choice.

Love the people I work with Monday - Friday.

Don't want to see them Saturday or Sunday.

I need some space from work. Phone, etc has me tied in plenty, I don't need to physically live close to the place also.

A long way from the glory days, now somewhere down around 20th highest murder count per population. Behind Detroit, Baltimore, Compton, Newark, St. Louis and more.

Stupid people are stupid by choice.

Exactly!
Unless someone is bona fide mentally disabled stupid people are stupid by choice.

Everyone has the same potential, some people choose to reach it while others are not willing to do what it takes to get that done. It's all about choice.

Exactly!
Unless someone is bona fide mentally disabled stupid people are stupid by choice.

Everyone has the same potential, some people choose to reach it while others are not willing to do what it takes to get that done. It's all about choice.

So: Lets say you are a 100% equal person, but you happen to be black, and you happen to be born in 1794, and happen to be born in the southern US.

Explain away that poverty by choice.

The point? Other people's choices and constructs have more of an influence on your life than your own choices and constructs. The child of a multi-millionaire CEO will never have to worry about poverty, despite never earning a dollar of their fortune, and never being given the choice to be born into the family. Can a person work their way out of poverty? YES. Is hard work and a level head guaranteed to cure you of poverty? No. Poverty is not a choice.

So: Lets say you are a 100% equal person, but you happen to be black, and you happen to be born in 1794, and happen to be born in the southern US.

Explain away that poverty by choice.

The point? Other people's choices and constructs have more of an influence on your life than your own choices and constructs. The child of a multi-millionaire CEO will never have to worry about poverty, despite never earning a dollar of their fortune, and never being given the choice to be born into the family. Can a person work their way out of poverty? YES. Is hard work and a level head guaranteed to cure you of poverty? No. Poverty is not a choice.

2015 vs 19xx

Big difference and not comparable.

Also, not being in poverty is not the same as not being wealthy. You can live a comfortable life and not be wealthy.

2015 vs 19xx

Big difference and not comparable.

Also, not being in poverty is not the same as not being wealthy. You can live a comfortable life and not be wealthy.

Not comparable, How so? It shows that social constructs can influence, will influence, and have influenced someone's social status far more than their own choices ever could. If someone works hard to escape poverty, they may be able to. If they have a disability, or their parents couldn't afford their tertiary education OR they live in an area where there are other aspects of the person's background that give them less rights or less social capitol...

There are so many aspects society that control your life more than you do. The smart people know how best to leverage these aspects, but being smart can only help you recognise an opportunity when it presents itself, it cant manufacture opportunity.

Exactly!

Oh, how simple your view of things is!

I guess if real world facts don't suit you, you can always fabricate some that fit and support your ideas. "Ignorance is bliss" was yesterday. "Fantasy is bliss", that's the new norm.

Not comparable, How so? It shows that social constructs can influence, will influence, and have influenced someone's social status far more than their own choices ever could. If someone works hard to escape poverty, they may be able to. If they have a disability, or their parents couldn't afford their tertiary education OR they live in an area where there are other aspects of the person's background that give them less rights or less social capitol...

There are so many aspects society that control your life more than you do. The smart people know how best to leverage these aspects, but being smart can only help you recognise an opportunity when it presents itself, it cant manufacture opportunity.

Excuses, excuses. If you want to work hard enough anyone can work their way out of poverty. Anyone. If you have things working against you and because of that you need 2 jobs? Then work 2 jobs. If you want things, go for it. If you don't want to work hard enough for something then you don't want it.

Not convinced that Palo Alto has every been lower-income.

Also, poor people are poor by choice.

I know your trolling, but it's important for everyone to understand that money (not capitalism) creates poverty. The by product of this poverty is that SOME people will be rich.

Rich people are rich because they have lots of money. Money gets it's value by being a limited resource. Hence, in order for money to have value, there MUST be a small percentage of people in the economic system that have a large percentage of the money.

That's it, that's the only way money can get value. If everyone had $50, then $50 would be worth nothing. If everyone had $1, and one guy had $50....suddenly $50 is rich. What changed?

Even if EVERY person in this country had a Ph.D, we would still have large scale poverty.....as long as we have money.

Try and think about a way in which everyone could be wealthy and money still work. You can't.

Excuses, excuses. If you want to work hard enough anyone can work their way out of poverty. Anyone.

Read my post above, this is not true. It is virtuous. But it is impossible. For you to be wealthy, somebody, somewhere has to be poor.

Spoken like someone who refuses to acknowledge the role that luck has played in their life.

Exactly!

Nope! Not genetically. Let alone socially! For instance - just one example - if you're stuck in a low performing school, where funding has been gradually slashed, your chances will be diminished. Also, can't afford to go to college despite good grades? Sorry, pal! Full scholarships are far and few between.

Of course, there will always be outliers, exceptional individuals, who would succeed despite the odds. But today, such outliers are the unicorns in the forest.

While it is true, that there is choice, that choice is limited. A lot of people have had a lot of choices made for themselves, and by the time you're old enough it is too late in the game for sheer will to reverse years of obstacles set before you. Most people will not be able to cut it.
The fact, that social class/income class has nothing to do with success or the measure thereof that you will reach in your professional life, is delusion at best, or at worst, a blatant lie.

Excuses, excuses. If you want to work hard enough anyone can work their way out of poverty. Anyone. If you have things working against you and because of that you need 2 jobs? Then work 2 jobs. If you want things, go for it. If you don't want to work hard enough for something then you don't want it.

Simply not true. This would be true in a 'Perfect System' but such a system does not and will never exist. Some people work 2 jobs and drive for Uber, but still don't have the ability to pay off medical debt, child support, or funeral costs, etc. Not to mention, the #1 most common way (and VASTLY most common, not just a slight majority) to earn enough money to be above the poverty line is to be born to a family that isn't below the poverty line.

It's easy to dismiss these things as excuses if you have yet to encounter an aspect of life that deliberately works against your progression. It definitely makes people sleep easier believing they live in a world that has no such thing as unwilling poverty. But the truth is that even in a highly progressive, western capitalist society, MOST poverty is inescapable. Trust me when I say: I've seen some people who made a lot of BAD choices and ended up destroying their social positions, living in poverty and ignoring all opportunities to escape it. These kind of people exist, but they are not the picture of the whole nation's poor.

The problem is you're oblivious about the condition of the job market. More and more, the jobs that are available are the lower paying jobs, with inflexible work hours, where employers/managers require you to be available at minutes' notice, work extended hours, only to be kicked out if you dare to call in sick. Also, good luck trying to find that 2nd job, that ties in well with your 1st job's schedule. And by the way, if you have family, you might as well just tell them to go screw themselves if they expect you to be around a little.

Nope! Not genetically. Let alone socially! For instance - just one example - if you're stuck in a low performing school, where funding has been gradually slashed, your chances will be diminished. Also, can't afford to go to college despite good grades? Sorry, pal! Full scholarships are far and few between.

Of course, there will always be outliers, exceptional individuals, who would succeed despite the odds. But today, such outliers are the unicorns in the forest.

While it is true, that there is choice, that choice is limited. A lot of people have had a lot of choices made for themselves, and by the time you're old enough it is too late in the game for sheer will to reverse years of obstacles set before you. Most people will not be able to cut it.
The fact, that social class/income class has nothing to do with success or the measure thereof that you will reach in your professional life, is delusion at best, or at worst, a blatant lie.

I grew up in a backwater town in Nova Scotia, Canada. My high school had 6 grades and only 180 kids. We didn't get computer classes or law or world history. We didn't even do semesters. Our resource teacher didn't suggest any vocational schools or trade schools.. she was hell bent on Community College. It was as backwoods as you can get and the people in that town reeked of worthlessness.

I grew up there.

When I graduated I went to CC. My parents didn't have any money so I got a student loan for my first year. During that year and the remaining three I worked at McDonalds at night and went to school during the day. I worked 84 hours a week and school so I wouldn't have to take a student loan out each year... so I wouldn't have to live in debt for the next decade.

Now, 14 years after graduating High School, I have 2 Diplomas and have spent 10 years in the military supporting my country. I have 5 kids and own my own house.

Do you know why? Because its possible. If you want it bad enough you will work for it.

I grew up in a backwater town in Nova Scotia, Canada. My high school had 6 grades and only 180 kids. We didn't get computer classes or law or world history. We didn't even do semesters. Our resource teacher didn't suggest any vocational schools or trade schools.. she was hell bent on Community College. It was as backwoods as you can get and the people in that town reeked of worthlessness.

I grew up there.

When I graduated I went to CC. My parents didn't have any money so I got a student loan for my first year. During that year and the remaining three I worked at McDonalds at night and went to school during the day. I worked 84 hours a week and school so I wouldn't have to take a student loan out each year... so I wouldn't have to live in debt for the next decade.

Now, 14 years after graduating High School, I have 2 Diplomas and have spent 10 years in the military supporting my country. I have 5 kids and own my own house.

Do you know why? Because its possible. If you want it bad enough you will work for it.

You managed to squeeze 2 diplomas in 4 years at the CC, and then spent 10 years in the military? Does the military pay that well in Canada? That is interesting... and might I say out of the ordinary.

9/11 happened while I was in school. I wanted to quit and join as soon as it happened.. but I opted to complete my schooling first. The military is like no other job out there. Its incredibly rewarding and you will never work another job that has the same comradery. Its worth the potential loss in pay.

Complete ignorance in that statement.

Ignorance is 'innocent'.

Everyone is ignorant; I know zip about rocket science and brain surgery... I am therefore ignorant in those respective areas.

What the other guy was voicing was arrogance and contempt.

9/11 happened while I was in school. I wanted to quit and join as soon as it happened.. but I opted to complete my schooling first. The military is like no other job out there. Its incredibly rewarding and you will never work another job that has the same comradery. Its worth the potential loss in pay.

It allowed you to start and family, and to buy a house.
Clearly, your military career benefited you, and 10 years at that. But, it doesn't benefit everyone the same way. Nor does the civilian life benefit people the same way or provide avenues of similar worth.
And while veterans usually do when they return to the civilian life, it's not a given for all either. Despite the 'same' opportunities.

I grew up there.

I have a similar story to tell, and it amazing all the times I omit all the help I recieved when I tell it.

Did you have two working parents? Who bought you clothes, kept you healthy, taught you English? Was crime a big issue in your area? Were you or your family ever affected by crime? Who bought you clothes to go to job interviews? Did you buy your fist car? When you left town, where did you stay? Did you pay for your accommodation during school? did you have any outstanding medical bills, child support payments, or any other kinds of debt when you were paying off your school fees? While in the military, did you pay for accommodation, medical fees, food?

There are a TON of unknowns in your story. Did you work hard? Yes. Did you progress your life and status? YES! Would everyone have the same opportunity to do so? No.

As I stated above, I also worked DAMN hard to be where I am today, and I work hard to keep moving up. But I am never going to kid myself into believing its all and only because of my hard work. If my friend hadn't of offered to house my new wife and I in their guest room for close to a year, I would not have been able to save up for a house deposit. If my Wife's parents hadn't helped her with university costs, she wouldn't have had the career she now flourishes in. If My dad wasn't able to afford a computer in the 90s, I wouldn't be a 3D artist now.

Don't deceive yourself by thinking for a second you had complete and total control over EVERY opportunity that presented itself in your life. You were just smart enough and determined enough to take advantage of these opportunities.

15k? With housing costs of 1 mil plus... drop in a bucket.

5 months rent for a decent 1 bedroom

I have a similar story to tell, and it amazing all the times I omit all the help I recieved when I tell it.

Did you have two working parents? Who bought you clothes, kept you healthy, taught you English? Was crime a big issue in your area? Were you or your family ever affected by crime? Who bought you clothes to go to job interviews? Did you buy your fist car? When you left town, where did you stay? Did you pay for your accommodation during school? did you have any outstanding medical bills, child support payments, or any other kinds of debt when you were paying off your school fees? While in the military, did you pay for accommodation, medical fees, food?

There are a TON of unknowns in your story. Did you work hard? Yes. Did you progress your life and status? YES! Would everyone have the same opportunity to do so? No.

As I stated above, I also worked DAMN hard to be where I am today, and I work hard to keep moving up. But I am never going to kid myself into believing its all and only because of my hard work. If my friend hadn't of offered to house my new wife and I in their guest room for close to a year, I would not have been able to save up for a house deposit. If my Wife's parents hadn't helped her with university costs, she wouldn't have had the career she now flourishes in. If My dad wasn't able to afford a computer in the 90s, I wouldn't be a 3D artist now.

Don't deceive yourself by thinking for a second you had complete and total control over EVERY opportunity that presented itself in your life. You were just smart enough and determined enough to take advantage of these opportunities.

My parents spent my entire childhood doing drugs. They never once worked. They were on welfare for the entire time I lived there. When I moved out I paid for my living accommodation. I paid for my first car. I bought my clothes for my interview.

Growing up the food bank provided my food. The clothes came from the local thrift store for $5 a garbage bag.

If you WANT something, you go and get it. I didn't omit anything besides having an ex wife I pay $10000 a year to for child support. So if anything that's on the "against me" side.

I didn't leave out the help. Its people like you that think its impossible to do things without it. And think that because we didn't answer your questions before you asked them that we are ommitting things or people that DID help us. Stop thinking you need others to get you where you want to be because its going to be a sad day for you when you need to do it all yourself.

My parents spent my entire childhood doing drugs. They never once worked. They were on welfare for the entire time I lived there. When I moved out I paid for my living accommodation. I paid for my first car. I bought my clothes for my interview.

Growing up the food bank provided my food. The clothes came from the local thrift store for $5 a garbage bag.

If you WANT something, you go and get it. I didn't omit anything besides having an ex wife I pay $10000 a year to for child support. So if anything that's on the "against me" side.

I didn't leave out the help. Its people like you that think its impossible to do things without it. And think that because we didn't answer your questions before you asked them that we are ommitting things or people that DID help us. Stop thinking you need others to get you where you want to be because its going to be a sad day for you when you need to do it all yourself.

I'm not trying to say that you didn't work hard, and you definitely have determination. But you do admit to your family receiving governmental help (mine did too) early on, and relying on (in some part) the charity of others. If someone with less determination were in the same situation as you, they would not have made it to where you are: but you had opportunities. You have an able body and you speak English. You didn't have any debt throughout schooling or any dependants (elderly or young), if I'm not mistaken. These are all thing that would have drastically altered how your life would have turned out, and a lot of that has to do with constructs of society. I haven't really got into race either, mostly because in North American countries, lawful racial segregation is abolished. But less than a century ago, there were strict and enforced laws that saw to directly limit the freedoms of people of certain racial backgrounds. A child born today does not have anywhere near the same fears in this regard as children born 50 years ago, but none-the-less, the effects of these once lawful constructs remain. I'm as white as could be, so I don't like to tell myself I know what it is like to grow up as a minority. Racism exists, it is less prevalent today than it was yesterday, but it exists. It goes both ways, to be fair: I don't believe in the term 'reverse racism' because its all just racism. But stereotypes linger in our society and the effect race has on employment can be severe in some areas. Does that mean it is impossible to get hired if you are one race over another? No, but it does mean that certain attributes of society make certain actions more difficult for certain people than others.

Someone may be in the same social position as you, but they did not work anywhere near as hard nor did they encounter the same limitations as you did. They would find ways to feel just as justified in their status as you feel justified in yours, claiming to have worked just as hard. And someone above us all would say that your lack of the outright wealth similar to what they posses is due to laziness and lack of determination. Someone who is a millionaire by birthright may feel just as justified in their social position as you feel justified in yours, and claimed to have earned their life just as fiercely as you claim to have earned your life.

The point? Its REALLY easy to look down on someone who hasn't done what you have, despite differing circumstances. Try to see the circumstances working in your favour.

The feedback here clearly delineates posters between those who will do what it takes and those who will come up with all kinds of excuses why they won't do what it takes.

To clarify; I am not looking down on poor people, but I also don't pity them, because they made their choices and they are not willing to do what it takes to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

This is the country of opportunity. Leave the ghetto (and everyone you know!) behind, buy a $16 Greyhound ticket to any farming state, start working as a farmhand for cash. Go from there.

Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent....

I am not with the religious crowd, but truer words that Joel Olsteen's "The Right People" Episode #646 have never been spoken https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/WatchOnline.aspx

Surround yourself with the right people!

Exactly!

Um... no. I'm by no means a social champion, but people are born with different abilities and backgrounds.

Does everyone have potential? Sure. Do they all have the same potential? No. Example: If you are a midget, born with one leg and one arm, you are not going to be an NFL quarterback. You still have the potential to be something else awesome.

The feedback here clearly delineates posters between those who will do what it takes and those who will come up with all kinds of excuses why they won't do what it takes.

To clarify; I am not looking down on poor people, but I also don't pity them, because they made their choices and they are not willing to do what it takes to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

This is the country of opportunity. Leave the ghetto (and everyone you know!) behind, buy a $16 Greyhound ticket to any farming state, start working as a farmhand for cash. Go from there.

I am not with the religious crowd, but truer words that Joel Olsteen's "The Right People" Episode #646 have never been spoken https://www.joelosteen.com/Pages/WatchOnline.aspx

Surround yourself with the right people!
Basically.

I had a psych teacher for Stress and Coping who once told me that you can either choose to externalize all your problems and blame others for your actions or you can internalize those problems, accept that you have control over your own destiny and do something about your life.

For the record, he blew his head off with a shotgun shortly after, so maybe that's why I remember that... Don't blame yourself too much!

I am poor, and I didn't choose to be poor, in fact, I'd like to be well off since there are things I'd like to own and things that I would like to do, but I got dealt a shitty hand, have Ankylosiing Spondylitus and it just fucked up my body.
I just had my hips replaced 3 weeks ago so I should be able to walk again in a few months, hopefully.

I haven't been able to work for the past 18 months so I am pretty poor. I started a gofundme compaign to help me out, https://www.gofundme.com/fmdcfgxf
Every little bit helps.

Exactly!

I think you're confusing stupid with ignorant, which itself is an ignorant thing to do and willfully being ignorant is properly labeled as "stupid."

But the "poor people are poor by choice" thing, oh boy, you'll never live that one down. ;)

I think you're confusing people who are poor because they don't want to get off their ass and work v. people who genuinely have situations they are unable to cope with. But hey, if you believe the latter doesn't exist, by all means, elaborate: Child poverty in the USA is about 22%. About 20% of all children in the USA live in a food insecure household and don't get enough to eat. Since you're advocating they are poor by choice, what decisions can a 6 year old make to not be poor and have enough to eat by the time he's 7? Assume he's in an impoverished area like Detroit or Baltimore where child protection services are already overworked and just the fact that he's not being beaten means he's not a priority case.

(no edit) Actually I realized the better question is what decisions did the child make to choose to be poor and not have enough to eat in the first place? I'm definitely confused on that one.

(no edit) Actually I realized the better question is what decisions did the child make to choose to be poor and not have enough to eat in the first place? I'm definitely confused on that one.

This is a ridiculous argument. You and I both know that he is referring to a capable adult. If you are a capable adult of sound mind and body, poverty is indeed 100% avoidable. Does that also mean you'll be wealthy? No, it doesn't. The line isnt drawn between poverty and wealthy. There are many areas between the two.

With a handle like yours how can anyone take you for anything other than a prejudice piece of shit?

Back