Facebook Pulls VR First-Person Shooter from Conservative Political Conference

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Facebook was forced to shelve the demo for Epic Games’ futuristic combat-simulation “Bullet Train” at CPAC in Maryland this week after social media got wind of it. Critics say that it was in pretty bad taste, in light of recent events.

Hugo Barra, Facebook’s VP of virtual reality, said in a statement, “There is a standard set of experiences included in the Oculus demos we feature at public events. A few of the action games can include violence. In light of the recent events in Florida and out of respect for the victims and their families, we have removed them from this demo. We regret that we failed to do so in the first place.”

Let's conflate real violence with make believe violence. Great move FB.

Well, Trump said on video (had to add that in, as some special people claim he never says things after he says it) it's the internets, movies, and games fault that we're the only nation with an epidemic of mass shootings, and the way we fix that is by having a ratings system for movies and games... (You know, like the one we've had for years) So it must be true.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...out-impact-of-violent-movies-says-we-may-have

Well, Trump said on video (had to add that in, as some special people claim he never says things after he says it) it's the internets, movies, and games fault that we're the only nation with an epidemic of mass shootings, and the way we fix that is by having a ratings system for movies and games... (You know, like the one we've had for years) So it must be true.

http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...out-impact-of-violent-movies-says-we-may-have

Hard to say if they affect kids or not, they did not me but in Columbine case it did if I remember right. Games and movies are though a lot more violent and realistic than when I grew up in the 80's. I would say social media is partly to blame and parenting, having a strong household is important. Bottom line, the FBI and local law enforcement missed ALL of the signs, this kid even called the cops on HIMSELF.

Hard to say if they affect kids or not, they did not me but in Columbine case it did if I remember right. Games and movies are though a lot more violent and realistic than when I grew up in the 80's. I would say social media is partly to blame and parenting, having a strong household is important. Bottom line, the FBI and local law enforcement missed ALL of the signs, this kid even called the cops on HIMSELF.

the problem with your statement is that you are twisting many things together to try to form your argument. A crazy person gets ahold of a knife and stabs 10 people. Did getting ahold of a knife make him go crazy and did the knife force him to stab people? Or was he crazy to start with and the knife was just the method selected to show their craziness? The problem is that just because A equal B doesn't always mean B equal A. Case in point all squares are rectangles, however not all rectangles are squares. The simple fact that a crazy person plays video games doesn't mean that they were 100% sane and that video games (or movies) are the sole cause of their issues.

there is also many studies that show that video games helps with venting anger more than they cause it. The exceptions are going to be those that are already mentally unhinged. Which the games and movies don't cause. No more than rap music causes your akin to turn black.

THIS is why you don't let facebook run a VR platform. I don't need politics in my VR. Time to replay postal 2 I guess.

As much as I dislike Facebook, they didn't pull the game from their platform. They only are no longer showing it as a demo at a political conference.

As much as I dislike Facebook, they didn't pull the game from their platform. They only are no longer showing it as a demo at a political conference.

You mean they only decided that their liberal pansy asses couldn't stomach the idea of someone viewing it at an entirely unrelated event...because it might hurt someones feelings?

Games and movies are though a lot more violent and realistic than when I grew up in the 80's.

Games? Yes. Movies? I don't know about that. The 80's violence was way more over the top and realistic looking than today's crappy CGI movies. Just look at the classic Robocop. I rest my case.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
When virtually all kids play video games and watch violent TV and movies and only a tiny, tiny percentage become violent criminals the only possible conclusion is that it's the media - not some sort of mental health issue in a handfull of people.

Games? Yes. Movies? I don't know about that. The 80's violence was way more over the top and realistic looking than today's crappy CGI movies. Just look at the classic Robocop. I rest my case.

Games? Not so much. http://www.tamiu.edu/newsinfo/7-08-10/article5.shtml There are other studies out there that show similar.

No what we have is a casual disregard for life period. It doesnt have anything to do with movies/games/music/books. Those are not the source of the problem - they are an outlet and reflect the current thinking of society which is that life doesnt matter as much as it used to.

Was it said that the kid even played violent video games? Given his predicament in life I seriously doubt he even played.

I thought the same thing. Horror movies used to be slasher films, now they are more thriller. Action films used to be some guy with a machine gun, now they are just beat them up films. Look at Rambo vs Jason Bourne. Even series that have been out for years have went from R to PG-13. Yippee ki yay mother fucker has been missing from the last few movies due to it being toned down. New Rocky movies are nothing like original. New Robocop was tame compared to the first.

Games? Not so much. http://www.tamiu.edu/newsinfo/7-08-10/article5.shtml There are other studies out there that show similar.

No what we have is a casual disregard for life period. It doesnt have anything to do with movies/games/music/books. Those are not the source of the problem - they are an outlet and reflect the current thinking of society which is that life doesnt matter as much as it used to.
Oh I wasn't blaming violent games or movies for that matter at all on this tragedy. I was just agreeing that games today are more graphic and violent compared to the 8\16-bit generation of games.

Definitely a mental health issue. I don't blame a tool. It's always the person behind it who is fully responsible and should be held accountable.

Reactions: kju1
like this
I'm sick of blame being tossed out like candy. It starts at home folks. Parenting these days is far and few between. It makes me sick to my stomach when I hear kids either cussing or being cussed at as young ages. A GOOD parent should never cuss or allow cussing by their children. A parent should instill good values with their kid and the community should reinforce those values. (e.g. treat people like you want to be treated, don't steal, don't be a jack a##, etc..)

Instead, we have a bunch of degenerates, bible/god have been removed, you can't discipline your children because they may be taken away, and liberal/progressive ideologies are shoved down our throats.

I'm sick of blame being tossed out like candy. It starts at home folks. Parenting these days is far and few between. It makes me sick to my stomach when I hear kids either cussing or being cussed at as young ages. A GOOD parent should never cuss or allow cussing by their children. A parent should instill good values with their kid and the community should reinforce those values. (e.g. treat people like you want to be treated, don't steal, don't be a jack a##, etc..)

Instead, we have a bunch of degenerates, bible/god have been removed, you can't discipline your children because they may be taken away, and liberal/progressive ideologies are shoved down our throats.

I saw a kid in the grocery store today that was slamming one of the freezer doors shut repeatedly because she was throwing a tantrum about not getting any ice cream. I walked over to the mom and said "Dont you think you should stop your child from damaging store property?" The mom told me to "Fuck off" (her exact words). To which the kid started screaming those exact words as she slammed the door. I pointed it out to store management who just shrugged and said "what do you expect us to do about it?"

Crazy shit...

North America will be Lord of the Flies in under 2 generations (from stupidity more than anything else):

https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/23/a-high-school-student-faces-expulsion-fo
A High School Student Faces Expulsion for Noticing the Square Root Symbol Looks Like a Gun
No adults seem embarrassed by this reaction. They should be.

Scott Shackford|Feb. 23, 2018 12:10 pm

squareroot_856x642.jpg

A Louisiana high school student was banned from school and had his home searched by deputies entirely because he made a joke out loud in a math class that the square root symbol looks like a gun

Hard to say if they affect kids or not, they did not me but in Columbine case it did if I remember right. .
Yeah, no. The prime offender in the columbine case was a straight up psychopath. Go look it up. Nothing "made" him into a killler. He WAS a killer.

Please, you say this like it's all bad. Degenerates have been around forever and, if anything, it's getting better on a whole last I looked into the general status of things in this country. Even smoking cigarettes is at a all time low.

Bible and God being removed is a fucking Godsend. Nothing like keeping ancient traditions and "morals" from such a fucked up book and just plain wrong ideology and truth. It's more likely more damaging than anything and there's CLEARLY better ways to do things than religion.

Disciplining your children you can still get away with. People act like no one hits or is strict with their kids anymore. Plus, let's face it, if your kid has been raised WELL and you aren't a DEGENERATE you shouldn't HAVE to take your "discipline" to that level they get taken away in the first place! Wtf are you doing???

Liberal/Progressive ideologies vary wide and far and having them is not a bad thing at all. You act like ALL the things they do is dumb and then want to sit here and, what, act like the Right/Conservatives are DOING BETTER?! LMAO!!! Please.

So yeah, what exactly is your point with all that?

I'm sorry, do conservatives not playing video games ? I'm here to tell you, contrary to whatever you may think, yes, WE DO.
And that's why you go to political conventions, to play videogames? Was there a Playstation VR booth there too?

I'm sorry, do conservatives not playing video games ? I'm here to tell you, contrary to whatever you may think, yes, WE DO.

It is more of that is an odd place to have a video game demonstration. Do you also expect there to be a mini carnival there also with rides, games and farm animals? Do you expect NASA to be there showing off some new space technology? A political party convention just seems like a very odd place for a game developer or console maker to be showcasing a new game.

In all honesty, maybe in another election cycle or two.

haha, honestly I had the same thought going through my head as typing that. At first I had typed circus then realized that describes most political parties now so changed up my wording some.

It is more of that is an odd place to have a video game demonstration. Do you also expect there to be a mini carnival there also with rides, games and farm animals? Do you expect NASA to be there showing off some new space technology? A political party convention just seems like a very odd place for a game developer or console maker to be showcasing a new game.

or maybe its not? Maybe they just really know their target audience?

Back