Facebook Posts to Start Showing Up in Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is going to seriously piss some people off. The question is, are they going to be mad enough to quit Facebook? Heh...I doubt it.

The company, as part of an effort dubbed “sponsored stories,” plans to allow advertisers to buy and republish Facebook messages that users voluntarily post about brands — such as a check-in at a local coffee shop or a product on a shopping site for which a user clicks the site’s “like” button. The sponsored stories are exact copies of the likes, comments and location check-ins that users post to their own walls and show up in their friends’ home page news feeds. The difference is that sponsored posts will get plucked out and posted again on the top right-hand column of the home page next to other ads.

Hopefully it's random and my post of: "Got the new iPhone and it %#&&# sucks!!" shows up in the ad, hehe.

I'm not a fan of this, but at least it looks like they will be adhering to the privacy settings that each user sets in Facebook.

[UPS] Sorce;1036759367 said:
I'm not a fan of this, but at least it looks like they will be adhering to the privacy settings that each user sets in Facebook.

Its Facebook, they dont give a shit about what the users want because the users will wtill continue to frequent the site and they know it. I have almost nothing posted on my wall so I don't give a shit. I only have it to keep up with family happenings.

Not that different from the wordhijacking going on on the [H], atleast same ballpark.

...wait, alot of ppl did[/] get upset about that. :p

The way I see it, the companies that I bother to "Like" or mention in my posts are free advertising to my friends already. If I'm not willing to evangelize for a company, I'm not going to Like it, or check in (I don't do that anyway.) The only mention that a company I'm *NOT* willing to advertise for might get is a negative mention. If Best Buy wants to use my "Just argued with a Best Buy rep for half an hour" status in an ad, be my guest! If Starbucks wants to use "Won a Starbucks gift card - having a diabetic-attack-in-a-cup" in an ad, go right ahead!

I'd like to see this happen, I'd like to see FB users try to get lawsuits running, I'd like to see them backfire with big "Read the fine print, you dumb sheep" wakeup calls.

that users voluntarily post about brands

So does this mean if i post on my wall Sony is awsome, or does this only mean if i post on say Sony's facebook page, they take that.

one is very different from the other....

But bottom line is, you don't like it, don't use Facebook... they are all about marketing and if you think otherwise, your a tool who needs to go a clue, no one is holding a gun to your head to use their site

Anyone who gets "upset" over this doesn't understand what Facebook really is underneath and why it exists.

I suppose if I actually like something enough to click the "Like" button that having my favor count in an ad wouldn't be a big deal.
It might make me think twice before clicking like, that's about it...

Really, Facebook needs to get their shit together and try to resolve these privacy issues, I wouldn't want my picture to be posted on some ad because I "liked" some Facebook page.

Back