Facebook Now Lets You Broadcast Live Video From a PC

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
In a move that some say is intended to take on Twitch, Facebook is now allowing live video streams from computers. Previously this feature was limited to mobile users. While this feature has been available to Pages for a while, now it has been opened up to all user accounts.

Great, just great. Now I'll have even more live video streams to annoy me in my Facebook feed. To me it takes a special level of exaggerated sense of self to think people actually want to sit on Facebook and watch you play a video game, but I'm just an old grumpy guy I guess.

Users will be able to simply broadcast straight from a built-in webcam. More advanced streamers can use external camera hardware or streaming software to make high-quality broadcasts with multiple cameras, on-screen graphics, and title cards.

By opening up computer-based streaming to everyone, it’s clear that Facebook is hoping to take live videos more seriously by making it possible for all its users to create more professional and robust broadcasts.

I mainly stream to Twitch for the ease of making highlight videos. Facebook doesn't have the same tools so it won't get any use from me.

Wonderful. I don't care. I'm the dude from Generation X. I love tech, but abhor "social media." Most "millennials" can't even spell the word "millenial." For you youngsters, here's an "n." Use it wisely. And get the fuck off my lawn!

I watched a few ppl play the new Mass Effect on twitch. Glad i didnt buy it, really glad i didnt preorder it!

I am too busy playing my own games to care about what other people might think about me playing it.

Somebody here has the quote in their sig "There is a sequel to Idiocracy and we're all living in it."

I can just imagine all of the high quality, educational streams that will be coming from facebook. Hey at least it gets the ol' wife distracted for a few hours huh? That is unless you actually need her to help you with anything.

I watched a few ppl play the new Mass Effect on twitch. Glad i didnt buy it, really glad i didnt preorder it!
First Mass Effect game I didn't pre-order. How did this stuff get through Quality Assurance?

Great, just great. Now I'll have even more live video streams to annoy me in my Facebook feed. To me it takes a special level of exaggerated sense of self to think people actually want to sit on Facebook and watch you play a video game, but I'm just an old grumpy guy I guess.

I wouldn't say old and grumpy. I would say you're just at an age where you can easily see how narcissistic the generation that followed you has become.

See, what happened was, the "me" generation (the baby boomers, who are very self-centered) raised the X generation (basically a bunch of unguided, screwed up people) who, of course, are even more incredibly self-centered.

The X's then decided they're not going to do the same thing to their kids, so they give them unrealistic ideas about themselves because they wouldn't dare give their children a dose of reality because they're too afraid their kids will hate them. They just don't have the self-esteem or emotional fortitude to handle having their kid mad at them. So no matter what, they have the smartest, best looking, most compassionate and decent human being on the entire face of the planet.

Meanwhile, these kids know damn well (even though they don't admit it) that their entire sense of self-worth is based on a lie, so they fight very hard to keep their bubble from bursting. They are fully, yet falsely, convinced that they are the best thing that ever happened to humanity. This is why they're so arrogant and sarcastic.

The result is the most self-centered, narcissistic, false sense of entitlement having, laziest generation in the entire history of the human race. The word modesty will probably get marked as archaic in the dictionary in the not so distant future.

It's not that you're old and grumpy, it's that you still have a bit of sanity left (i.e. an accurate view of reality).

Then again, I live in the Midwest. Cabin fever in the winter time does funny things to people's minds, so maybe it's just that. lol

Come on...who doesn't want to watch me suck ass playing starcraft 2 on my facebook?

Hell, I'm so bad I stick to co-op. :hungover:

There is a good chance, with all the publicity Facebook Live is getting lately, that they may have to discontinue this service.

The optics just aren't good.

Back