Facebook Marketplace Bans Kodi Boxes

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
Adding difficulty in acquiring the popular devices, Facebook has changed the terms of their marketplace to effectively ban sales of streaming media players known for accessing illegal or pirated content. The removal comes on the heels of similar decisions made by eBay and Amazon to block the "fully-loaded" boxes for sale in their respective domains.

Facebook's Commerce Policy now describes "Products or items that facilitate or encourage unauthorised access to digital media" as "prohibited".

As previously reported, these devices in their base form harbor no illegal activity. Yet, the ease of installing plug-ins to access pirated content can be a large factor in purchases. Kodi was not specifically named in these updated terms, nonetheless targeted hardware is powered by the now-controversal software.

so they sell the basic android ones and people load kodi themselves... not that hard

I can understand illegally streaming movies but do these actually access Netflix, HBO, Hulu etc. servers? If so, I don't understand how these things can't be shut down.

I'm not sure what is more disturbing a company without any form of measurable regards for privacy taking a stand on making money on devices which if sold have 0 illegal content. Or that they pretend they have morals?
Why allow PC adds?
Or any computer components for that matter anything can be used to bring illegal content in any form even keyboard or mouse.

There is a Facebook Marketplace? heh, go figure...
But no problem. for every vendor that does takes this high road, there are 5 others that are more than happy to step in and take my money in their place.

So not a problem. Not like folks even know they exist anyway.

I'm not sure what is more disturbing a company without any form of measurable regards for privacy taking a stand on making money on devices which if sold have 0 illegal content. Or that they pretend they have morals?
Why allow PC adds?
Or any computer components for that matter anything can be used to bring illegal content in any form even keyboard or mouse.

facebook thrives on publicity and advertisers. whatever they do these end up being their driving force.

poor kodi though, they really are just perceived as just a illegal content box.

All this talk of kodi really makes me want to go finish setting up my Kodi box for my 4k TV, so so lazy though and Battlegrounds is really really distracting.

I can understand illegally streaming movies but do these actually access Netflix, HBO, Hulu etc. servers? If so, I don't understand how these things can't be shut down.

They're apps you install that link to free pirate streams. There's people out there that capture live TV 24/7 then rebroadcast it online. They make the links available and basically operate off donations and a system of P2P networking. There's also on demand movie streaming which is essentially the same system. It's like torrenting but streaming.

They're apps you install that link to free pirate streams. There's people out there that capture live TV 24/7 then rebroadcast it online. They make the links available and basically operate off donations and a system of P2P networking. There's also on demand movie streaming which is essentially the same system. It's like torrenting but streaming.
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering because who in the world is paying the hosting bill for all of this. I see that P2P lessens the blow by quite a bit.
What came to mind was how much hosting can cost. Pre Steam/Origin, you almost had to pay for a download service just to get patches and demos for games. I remember I used to play Battlefield 1942 and Desert Combat. Each version was 600mb+ and I used to subscribe to paid servers just because getting the mod for free was such a pain in the ass.

Yeah in one swift move, Facebook destroyed Craigslist.

As a dad with a toddler, cheap baby stuff everywhere and very few scams. Try it out if your havent.
Let's be honest, in most places Craigslist didn't need much in the way of competition to get destroyed. Around here CL sucks donkey balls esp. on computer/electronic stuff.

Wouldn't they have to ban Roku devices too since they also have plugins (apps) that do this?

so they sell the basic android ones and people load kodi themselves... not that hard

It's hard for the average person to install the plug-ins and get everything working. I set up one for a friend a couple of months ago using a Raspberry Pi 3.

Wouldn't they have to ban Roku devices too since they also have plugins (apps) that do this?
they are banning sales of units already configured with the pirate software on them, not the sale of the stock devices.

they are banning sales of units already configured with the pirate software on them, not the sale of the stock devices.
They are banning the Android boxes with KODI on them. KODI is not pirate software. But, just like Windows, Linux and MacOS you can get add-ons that let you pirate stuff (OMG! I have KODI running on my PC!!!).

They are trying to get rid of a couple undesirable trees by cutting down the whole forest.

And people actually buy shit from it?

While not necessarily facebook marketplace, there are tons of groups/communities (whatever FB calls them) that sell/trade locally. "momswap" "Cityname_Barter" plus apps like "Let go", etc. I don't use that shit but my gf does, she sold some stuff I was going to otherwise throw directly into trash. ~$100 in pocket and not having to haul it to the dump is a win-win.

While not necessarily facebook marketplace, there are tons of groups/communities (whatever FB calls them) that sell/trade locally. "momswap" "Cityname_Barter" plus apps like "Let go", etc. I don't use that shit but my gf does, she sold some stuff I was going to otherwise throw directly into trash. ~$100 in pocket and not having to haul it to the dump is a win-win.

We have better luck with CL, but we also use those local groups... They can be useful... But so can FS/FT on [H]...

AFAIK they haven't passed any laws making streaming illegal yet, though they are trying to. It isn't like torrenting as you never own any of the content. Gray area for sure, but I don't quite think it's illegal.

AFAIK they haven't passed any laws making streaming illegal yet, though they are trying to. It isn't like torrenting as you never own any of the content. Gray area for sure, but I don't quite think it's illegal.

Piracy is illegal.

Ah okay thanks for the explanation I was never sure hpw they were able to get all the live TV without paying. I am kind of glad FB is banning the sale of these as the peope selling them always seem so scammy and wanted somuch money for them it irked me they were raking in money lying to people (whether outright or by omission) about the free stuff being legal and getting all the things and off piracy. Also knowing that when they get sued the sellers arent going to take any blame though If it really is streaming and not p2p that is not the issue i thought it was as watching illegal streams isnt illegal yet, just providing them.

haha i know a couple guys that try to sell these 30 dollar boxs for 150-300. they sell them on facebook craiglist and word of mouth. its not that hard to configure theres a real market for these its actually quite silly.

Adding difficulty in acquiring the popular devices, Facebook has changed the terms of their marketplace to effectively ban sales of streaming media players known for accessing illegal or pirated content. The removal comes on the heels of similar decisions made by eBay and Amazon to block the "fully-loaded" boxes for sale in their respective domains.

Facebook's Commerce Policy now describes "Products or items that facilitate or encourage unauthorised access to digital media" as "prohibited".

As previously reported, these devices in their base form harbor no illegal activity. Yet, the ease of installing plug-ins to access pirated content can be a large factor in purchases. Kodi was not specifically named in these updated terms, nonetheless targeted hardware is powered by the now-controversal software.

These are still all over Ebay. Mobdro is the app that is doing all the illegal streaming I believe.

Let's be honest, in most places Craigslist didn't need much in the way of competition to get destroyed. Around here CL sucks donkey balls esp. on computer/electronic stuff.

There is a even a section dedicated to services related to donkey ball sucking.....great people!

Right but those scumbags install Kodi of those boxes then claim you can watch ALL DA MOVIEZ then try to make a quick buck. Gives Kodi a bad name.

Is Kodi meant to do something else? If so, they need to work on their messaging.

By streaming it you are downloading it to watch in real time. You're so weasely I'm surprised you aren't a democratic senator.
What a douchey thing to say. I'm surprised you didn't use your go-to insult: snowflake :rolleyes:

All the other nonsense aside, Kodi devs themselves want these crapboxes banned as does anyone who has ever set up a side loaded amazon stick (or sold one to someone for $30 instead of $130 to an incredulous buyer) and then had to field all the "where's the free movies and stuff?" questions.

Is Kodi meant to do something else? If so, they need to work on their messaging.
It was originally a media manager for XBOX (you may remember XBMC). That was later developed into a robust system for HTPCs and ultimately renamed KODI. The official sites are clear it's intended for local content. The developers were/are considering or talking about (I'm not really sure the extent of this since I'm not following dev discussions anymore) implementing DRM. They've always been publicly opposed to pirating content as well as discouraging the AIO packages that make obtaining pirated contented easy as a few clicks.

It was originally a media manager for XBOX (you may remember XBMC). That was later developed into a robust system for HTPCs and ultimately renamed KODI. The official sites are clear it's intended for local content. The developers were/are considering or talking about (I'm not really sure the extent of this since I'm not following dev discussions anymore) implementing DRM. They've always been publicly opposed to pirating content as well as discouraging the AIO packages that make obtaining pirated contented easy as a few clicks.

Ahh ok, XBMC successor. Good to know.

Back