Facebook Launches Their First Home Hardware

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Facebook launched their first 2 home-grown hardware products today. The Portal and Portal+ both feature Alexa integration, 4 beamforming microphones, stereo speakers, and a "Smart Camera" that "uses AI to keep everyone in the frame - panning and zooming automatically no matter where the conversation goes." The base portal goes for $199 and features a 720p display, while the Portal+ goes for $349 and features a tall 1080x1920 display. Facebook themselves aren't totally oblivious to privacy and security concerns, so on top of a software option to disable the camera and microphone array, they include a camera cover with the product.

You can check out the promotional video on the website, and you can see the BBC's less flashy take on the device here.

Facebook doesn't listen to, view or keep the contents of your Portal video calls. Your Portal conversations stay between you and the people you're calling. In addition, video calls on Portal are encrypted, so your calls are always secure.

I mean I use echo and smartthings so i know I have no privacy. But something in my very being can't allow this device in my home at all. Is that just hypocritical of me or is facebook much less trustworthy than amazon?

Facebook launched their first 2 home-grown hardware products today. The Portal and Portal+ both feature Alexa integration, 4 beamforming microphones, stereo speakers, and a "Smart Camera" that "uses AI to keep everyone in the frame - panning and zooming automatically no matter where the conversation goes." The base portal goes for $199 and features a 720p display, while the Portal+ goes for $349 and features a tall 1080x1920 display. Facebook themselves aren't totally oblivious to privacy and security concerns, so on top of a software option to disable the camera and microphone array, they include a camera cover with the product.

You can check out the promotional video on the website, and you can see the BBC's less flashy take on the device here.

Facebook doesn't listen to, view or keep the contents of your Portal video calls. Your Portal conversations stay between you and the people you're calling. In addition, video calls on Portal are encrypted, so your calls are always secure.

How would we find out if they paid VirnetX or not? It would help us figure out how the messaging is actually occuring. Apple had to redesign iMessage to get around the patent.

I mean I use echo and smartthings so i know I have no privacy. But something in my very being can't allow this device in my home at all. Is that just hypocritical of me or is facebook much less trustworthy than amazon?

I don't trust Facebook one bit. They've proven they can't be trusted time and time again. I trust Amazon a bit more, but still not completely. I trust them knowing my musical habits, coming and going at home, etc.. (Echo, SmartThings user as well).

I would not buy any Facebook hardware. Ever. Guaranteed it's a privacy nightmare.

Don't record your video calls. Does record everything else, probably.
And fails hard when the servers go down, or they ban you for being conservative.

Just say no.

Can we get these portals instead?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBjuAct2_FY3r0RitXWZAXD69LiMF_UhuaaBquKgMuiqWsro4INQ.jpg

It's gonna follow you into the bathroom/shower, and send pics of you to Putin and Xi Jinping. Later those compromising pics will be used against you to ensure that you vote the way they want you to.

You don't need a robot to vacuum your floor. You can vacuum better than a robot can. What you need is something to keep you connected to your friends and loved ones (and several thousand people whom you've never met) while you're vacuuming. Facebook has left the soul-extinguishing boundaries of your computing devices and achieved personhood - it's now a member of your home. It'll be part of your life, part of your family, all backed by a corporation that truly wants to know everything about you.

Welcome to the future - it's gonna be great!

It's gonna follow you into the bathroom/shower, and send pics of you to Putin and Xi Jinping. Later those compromising pics will be used against you to ensure that you vote the way they want you to.

The Facebook Showerhead (TM) already uses optical sensors to determine proper water dispersion pattern. They in no way save or use this video/pics.

Yeahhhh.... No.

That's all I nees is my naked ads being recorded by a Facebook device and lost because of a breach.

I would kick my own ass if I bought this

Think I'll pass, just like using your stupid phone app.
Also, please stop asking me if I want to use your app!

I sincerely hope that other Alexa devices won't demand Facebook video, cause there's no way that I'd use anything with Alexa if I must be tied the data to Facebook.

Back