Facebook Launches Panic Button for Child Safety

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like that “panic button” feature we’ve been hearing about for months is finally being implemented by Facebook.

The application, which follows a long campaign by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP), appears on a user's profile page when they add or bookmark it and allows children and teenagers to report suspicious or inappropriate behaviour.

Safety in and of itself is a good intent. Hopefully there are no other intents, like using the app to spy on the user profile to sell data.

They should label the button "Stranger Danger"

I hope this does work

This will not work. Every single time some teenager hears their sworn enemy say something bad about them on Facebook they will start a panic button campaign. Then say it's "bullying". Then all the people working at the Facebook panic office will understand how stupid their site really is.

The tag for the link to this page on the news page is messed up Steve!

URL= http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1532110]Comments[/URL]

Pressure to introduce such measures intensified towards the end of last year after 17-year-old Ashleigh Hall was kidnapped, raped and murdered by a man posing as a teenager whom she had met through Facebook.

So please tell me how that would've stopped that????

So what- you get reported under Fake Alias #1... You then create a new Fake Alias #2. This is nothing but smoke and mirrors and an illusion of security.

Here's an idea... If you want to protect your kids then don't let them access Facebook at all. Install K9 and block social networking sites.

So please tell me how that would've stopped that????

So what- you get reported under Fake Alias #1... You then create a new Fake Alias #2. This is nothing but smoke and mirrors and an illusion of security.

Here's an idea... If you want to protect your kids then don't let them access Facebook at all. Install K9 and block social networking sites.

TexUs, this is the free market's answer to online safety. I thought you of all people would recognize and support this?

TexUs, this is the free market's answer to online safety. I thought you of all people would recognize and support this?

I do. Individual rights tells me that internet isn't a right, especially to underage kids.
This is a parenting thing.

man this is gonna be awesome *changes age to 13, click click click.* Seriously there's law enforcement on facebook now and the control of it is in the hands of teenagers. Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

^^ exactly, it will, people will get it used on them who didnt do a dam thing, but of course, believe the child!

Kids these days know with a pouty face and some tears anyone will believe what they say.

Wonderful, can't wait for all the teens who don't like each other to constantly hit the panic button on pages of people they don't like because that person is going out with whoever they wanted to go out with "first".

^^ exactly, it will, people will get it used on them who didnt do a dam thing, but of course, believe the child!

Kids these days know with a pouty face and some tears anyone will believe what they say.

Oh man, the POSSIBILITIES.....

We've ALREADY seen kids accuse teachers of sexually molesting them, when the teacher gave the kid a bad grade for being a lazy ass and not doing his homework, and even after those allegations were proven to be false, the teacher's rep was forever tarnished as some students STILL didn't trust him. That's how abusive kids are.

Now, just wait till the following happens:

1) Kid befriends an online game GM (of whatever type, MMOFPS, FPS, RPG, whatever).
2) Kid gets caught hacking and gets his account banned.
3) Kid gets mad, loses his account he spent so much (cash shop items) on, rages, decides to get even with the GM, reports the GM for some sort of sexual advances or conduct with the panic button.. His way of getting "even" for cheating.
4) GM, who did nothing wrong, winds up losing his job.

Trust me--Kids *ARE* this abusive, and this CAN, and WILL happen, in one way or another. Yes, true, the bad guys will be reported, but so will some of the good guys too. This *WILL* be abused. You'll even get kids using it on other kids after some guild/clan/game drama happens...

Oh man, the POSSIBILITIES.....

We've ALREADY seen kids accuse teachers of sexually molesting them, when the teacher gave the kid a bad grade for being a lazy ass and not doing his homework, and even after those allegations were proven to be false, the teacher's rep was forever tarnished as some students STILL didn't trust him. That's how abusive kids are.

Now, just wait till the following happens:

1) Kid befriends an online game GM (of whatever type, MMOFPS, FPS, RPG, whatever).
2) Kid gets caught hacking and gets his account banned.
3) Kid gets mad, loses his account he spent so much (cash shop items) on, rages, decides to get even with the GM, reports the GM for some sort of sexual advances or conduct with the panic button.. His way of getting "even" for cheating.
4) GM, who did nothing wrong, winds up losing his job.

Trust me--Kids *ARE* this abusive, and this CAN, and WILL happen, in one way or another. Yes, true, the bad guys will be reported, but so will some of the good guys too. This *WILL* be abused. You'll even get kids using it on other kids after some guild/clan/game drama happens...
Guilty until proven innocent.

Back