Facebook Knows A Whole Lot About Your Offline Life

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is one of those articles that makes you think about how much information there is about you floating around the internet. Easiest cure for all that? Don't use social media. Or Google. Or the internet. ;)

One of us actually tried to do what Facebook suggests. While writing a book about privacy in 2013, reporter Julia Angwin tried to opt out from as many data brokers as she could. Of the 92 brokers she identified that accepted opt-outs, 65 of them required her to submit a form of identification such as a driver’s license. In the end, she could not remove her data from the majority of providers.

I've said it over and over, but your best course is to break Facebook's TOS and use a fake name (optionally one that your friends will recognize) on Facebook. Facebook's recourse is to disable your account, which seeing as you didn't use your name and are dubious about Facebook in the first place, is no big deal. Way better this than to send your social to the data brokers in some doom-to-fail attempt to tell them to not store data about you.

I had a coworker tell me once that I showed up on his "list of people you might know". The only problem was that I had only worked there 2 weeks, we didn't hang out, didn't have any friends in common (even on facebook) and our only digital communication was though phone calls and text messages.

The most likely possibility is that the facebook app on his smartphone recorded all his call and text info, and sent that data back to facebook. If you use the facebook app, then be aware that app is spying on every digital communication you make, even when it has nothing to do with facebook.

I don't use the FB app, or let FB know my phone number, and I rarely post things, but some of the ads I see on there are bordering on creepy.
Things that would normally be completely off the wall for me, if I hadn't just had a conversation about it with someone. I was mildly annoyed by my wife a few weeks ago, and it was showing me divorce attorney ads.

I don't use the FB app, or let FB know my phone number, and I rarely post things, but some of the ads I see on there are bordering on creepy.
Things that would normally be completely off the wall for me, if I hadn't just had a conversation about it with someone. I was mildly annoyed by my wife a few weeks ago, and it was showing me divorce attorney ads.
hmmm..

We may as well strap go pros to our heads and live stream our lives away. I'm sure that would over saturate the internet and make spying actually harder, but whatever no one has any privacy anymore anyhow.

Back