Facebook Is Working On User-Activated Safety Checks

HardOCP News

[H] News
Like user-activated Safety Checks aren't going to be immediately abused. Just think of all the ways Facebook users would use a feature like this that doesn't involve a real disaster.

"If we're building a community product, this is one of the moments of truth for us," Zuckerberg explained. "When Safety Check got started a couple of years ago, it was only for natural disasters. Unfortunately since then we've had to expand it to terrorist attacks too, because that's just been too common over the last few years. The next thing we need to do is make it so that communities can trigger it themselves when there is some disaster."

"Botnet, assemble!"
BotNet Task: "Create disaster"
What shall it be, sir?
"Tornadoes with sharks!"
Done.
Activate SafetyCheck on Facebook for this disaster?
"Yes"
BotNet Task: "Random Facebook posts about Tornado sharks"
Facebook: Trending disasters: "Sharknados!"
Hackers: :punch::vamp::ROFLMAO::dead::stinkyfeet:

I live in South Louisiana, and Facebook kept bothering me to check in so everyone would know I was safe during the flood (I was, BTW). I ignored this badgering, though. Then I got a notification from the Facebook Safety Check that one of my friends was "wondering if you're OK during The Flooding in Louisiana," and urging me to check in. Somehow I doubt that - she lives across the street.

Nice try, FB.

"Botnet, assemble!"
BotNet Task: "Create disaster"
What shall it be, sir?
"Tornadoes with sharks!"
Done.
Activate SafetyCheck on Facebook for this disaster?
"Yes"
BotNet Task: "Random Facebook posts about Tornado sharks"
Facebook: Trending disasters: "Sharknados!"
Hackers: :punch::vamp::ROFLMAO::dead::stinkyfeet:

Don't forget the White Girls with their Starbucks taking selfies and being all #sharknadocheckin or some shit like that...

I live in South Louisiana, and Facebook kept bothering me to check in so everyone would know I was safe during the flood (I was, BTW). I ignored this badgering, though. Then I got a notification from the Facebook Safety Check that one of my friends was "wondering if you're OK during The Flooding in Louisiana," and urging me to check in. Somehow I doubt that - she lives across the street.

Nice try, FB.

She lives across the street and yet you failed to ask her if she actually did this and instead are just assuming and then passing this off as some kind of data point? Lol

She lives across the street and yet you failed to ask her if she actually did this and instead are just assuming and then passing this off as some kind of data point? Lol

Our part of town did not flood, and she knows damned well I'm OK. We waived at each other while checking our mail two days before I got the notification. It doesn't take a genius to see it's an auto-generated ploy by Facebook to lure me into more actively announcing crap about my personal life.

Back