Facebook Is The Leading Cause Of....

HardOCP News

[H] News
The bad news is that Facebook makes you depressed. The good news is that Facebook offers counseling....that is if you live long enough to use the service. :eek:

The researchers surveyed 736 college students and found that, basically, if you quietly stalk your friends on Facebook and then realize that your life doesn’t measure up to theirs, you feel bad about yourself.

Not a single person is their Facebook. Facebook is the crafted image that people create for themselves to show to the world. It doesn't show when they were assholes and didn't tip their waiter, or when they drove on the shoulder zipping to the front of the queue to swing over blocking traffic behind them turning right and almost causing an accident, doesn't show them on the dentist table where they are diagnosed with gingivitis for being nasty and not flossing or using listerine, or that time they cheated on their wife at home with their kid while on a business trip.

And sometimes it doesn't just omit the bad stuff, but flat out lies trying to create an image of being more happy and successful than they really are, especially annoying when they build up huge "friends" networks but if you asked them how many of those people they know their birthdays it might be two of them and fact is they are just acquaintances if that.

Unfortunately, so few people seem to realize this.

I thought it would be...

Facebook is the leading cause of...the realization that all of my friends are really obnoxious narcissists.

The thing that really bothers me about Facebook is its awful image compression.

Not a single person is their Facebook. Facebook is the crafted image that people create for themselves to show to the world.

For the most part. For those (many) idiots who just stream-of-consciousness their status, in terrible grammar, ghetto rages at people, etc, I think it shows their true personality.

Even more so, because if you're dumb enough to post that retarded shit onto Facebook (and public more often than not) you're too dumb to be trusted with anything more than safety scissors and glue sticks. And definitely removed those few people (usually former co-workers, never friend anyone current) who act that way.

It was sort of the opposite for me. I realized how boring and annoying my friends actually are, and it made me depressed.

Ok...which is why I just try to keep a good image on Facebook without giving two shits about it :D

facebook makes me depressed because all sorts of people try to make it work for everything because they don't know any better. The worst has to be facebook groups which are terrible replacements for forums. But sadly outside the tech savvy hobbies a lot of clowns try to force facebook to work well in place of a forum and its hell, makes me want to blow my head off every time I am forced to use it. lol imagine if you want to buy a computer part from the FS/FT part of H except its on face book. You scroll down and the comments stop, then more load, then more load, you get pages and pages down and find something you want then you press back to see something and now you have lost it. The only way back to that item is tons of scrolling rofl. How can people not see how much this sucks? No wonder they are depressed they spend all their time wasting tons of time to do very simple jobs because face book makes everything so difficult. lol about the only good thing about face book is you don't have as many search Nazis, because people know the search sucks and doesn't work and there is no reasoble way to archive and reference good information (or at least all the users don't know how to use it if does exist). People write up huge how toos and instructions on facebook and then it sucks, it doesn't work, people who don't have face book cant find it.

Facebook doesn't cause depression. It attracts depression-prone people who are approval-seeking because they put a super high value on what others think about them and, after they don't get that approval, they become depressed. It would have happened in real life too because they would have been that same kinda defective anyway, but it just looks like Facebook is the cause because social networking attracts the human refuse and trash of society and concentrates it in one place.

But yeah, it's profound that people are a certain way in Facebook because Facebook is involved. :rolleyes:

Facebook doesn't cause depression. It attracts depression-prone people who are approval-seeking because they put a super high value on what others think about them and, after they don't get that approval, they become depressed. It would have happened in real life too because they would have been that same kinda defective anyway, but it just looks like Facebook is the cause because social networking attracts the human refuse and trash of society and concentrates it in one place.

But yeah, it's profound that people are a certain way in Facebook because Facebook is involved. :rolleyes:

Your posts are full of something...shit.

I'm on facebook to occasionally hear about a birth, or death, and the occasional piece of information that might be relevant. Other than that I'm just scrolling past tons of motivational images and pictures of people's kids in overly dramatic posed shots. All of it is designed, as noted by many, to make the person's life seem far more interesting than it actually is. They post pictures of their kids when they're all cleaned up and smiling but not when they're screaming their head off and being a brat. When you actually meet the kid you don't know what you're in for.

Overall, I occasionally get a good laugh when you realize that the people that are constantly involving their kids in their facebook feed are training a whole new generation of narcissists. In a few years those parents will have some really fucked up teenagers to deal with and revenge will be gotten for having to scroll past all those stupid pictures.

These college students in 20 years will realize that nothing is forever. They might think their friends are better today but in the future, they may remain where they are today (stagnated) or end up as bums (or worse).

OMFG world breaking news everyone!!!

Finding out your "friends" (use that term loosely in this case) enjoy their life and even OMFG took pics to proove it happened?!?!? while all you care to do is sit on your ass stacking Facebook...

If it wasn't Facebook, it would have been MySpace, forums, ICQ, AOL IM, whatever you want to use to 'check up on your friends'

Sad Panda is SAD...

How is this news?

It's Facebook. Like murders that used the telephone to coordinate or whatever when the phone was already old news, Facebook is still viewed as a trendy novelty that is deserving of being lumped into "tech news" and that'll prolly be the case for a while longer until it either dies or becomes so integrated into our lives that its as uninteresting as having those velcro thingies on your shoes instead of laces.

Back