Facebook is Full of Trash but Now it's Fun

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am not a big Facebook user but I usually hit it once a day to see if any of my family has done something incredibly stupid...again. I however have not been exposed to these Wish ads, which look incredibly entertaining if nothing else. I have to say, the $1 tongue looks fairly tempting, depending on shipping of course. Wonder if I can get it here by Friday? Unfortunately, not.

Over the past few months, Wish ads have dominated Facebook by hawking bizarre items like hamster leashes, giant human-sized balls of yarn, toenail extenders, mysterious car goo, and a myriad of other strange things for extremely low prices.

Wish is an $8 billion e-commerce company similar to Amazon or Alibaba that “hopes to become the next Walmart.” Its competitive advantage is it offers much lower prices than its competitors by shipping direct from Chinese manufacturers. The only downside is that most items take around 14 days to arrive.

Extraordinarily cheap Chinese junk. You could always get crap like this on eBay or other resellers, for whatever reason I guess this one has become more "popular".

Extraordinarily cheap Chinese junk. You could always get crap like this on eBay or other resellers, for whatever reason I guess this one has become more "popular".

Because it's also a well designed app that a lot of people use... and I'm sure the app developer works with FB and everyone to collect your information to sell it.

I like deal extreme and other similar sites better.

For really cheap fun items that I don't care if they might not be perfect it is a fun place to buy stuff, they have such weird items. I've gotten coasters, an Overwatch DVA mouse and a cool mouse pad.

I've seen the same kind of garbage on Amazon. If you don't care about quality, go for it. All too often, you get what you pay for.

If you don't mind shipping times, aliexpress.com; if you're going to buy cheap chinese stuff might as well get it for cheap. I've gotten some decent fishing supplies, a nice knife set, and a crapload of random junk I probably don't need :)

Just look for an item with reviews and free shipping, though you can also get stuff without reviews (they'll normally sell them for cheaper till they get reviews).

Wish has some cool-looking stuff. It nowhere near high quality, though. I bought some clothing items from them a few years ago, including an assassin's creed outfit-like hoodie, which has actually held up OK over the years. It doesn't really look assassin's creed-ish, though.

You're from Texas are you not Kyle?

If you're anything like Mrs. Twisted you use Facebook to keep a running tally of your family's remaining limbs.

The number of times the count has changed is unsettling....

If you're anything like Mrs. Twisted you use Facebook to keep a running tally of your family's remaining limbs.

Don't forget rattlesnake bites.:woot:

I have a 1911 and an AR15 within reach from where I am sitting right now in case my relatives try to come over.

I don't use facebook but I see their ads on Youtube all the time. Cheap chinese junk for cheap. They make very quick ads that show how to use some weird niche products, like a french fry cutter, or a motorized hair curler...

If you don't mind shipping times, aliexpress.com; if you're going to buy cheap chinese stuff might as well get it for cheap. I've gotten some decent fishing supplies, a nice knife set, and a crapload of random junk I probably don't need :)

Just look for an item with reviews and free shipping, though you can also get stuff without reviews (they'll normally sell them for cheaper till they get reviews).

I love aliexpress. It's better than ebay imo because ebay sellers have mostly figured out ways to scam the system. For example, I was looking for a cheap Fire HD10 case. They put super old cases in there that nobody wants priced at $1.00 and then the HD 10 case at $20. When you sort by price it comes up as $1 but when you click the result and choose the case you want, it jumps to $20. Very annoying. I feel like this happens significantly less on aliexpress. I've gotten some great cheap watches, headphones, a fur lined beanie, etc...

Yeah my wife is guilty of spending hours on Wish.
Every couple of days I will hear the dreaded "I bought you something". She got me a 2Tb flash drive for $10 one time lol. At first I refused to insert it into any of my rigs, then I said what tha fuck and stuck it in a sandbox on one of my laptops. It had a bunch of progs on it with just numbers identifying them, so I reformatted it and transferred 15Gb's worth of movies to it to test it's speed and integrity. It worked great, albeit at a top sustained speed of only 11Mb's a sec lol. Needless to say I'm leery of putting anything of real importance on it , that and my network being on the order of 10x faster then it. I'll just re-gift it to the mother-in-law this Christmas. ;)

Back