Facebook Is Expanding Fact-Checking to Photos and Videos

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a blog post Thursday, Facebook announced their fact checking would no longer be limited to articles: photos and videos will also be scrutinized for inaccuracies going forward. The social media giant will be adding new third-party fact checkers and incorporating technologies such as a machine learning model and optical character recognition to better meet the effort.

Many of our third-party fact-checking partners have expertise evaluating photos and videos and are trained in visual verification techniques, such as reverse image searching and analyzing image metadata, like when and where the photo or video was taken. Fact-checkers are able to assess the truth or falsity of a photo or video by combining these skills with other journalistic practices, like using research from experts, academics or government agencies.

They have given themselves license to grab even more information and retain it for further analysis.
The only way to counter this is to quit using Facebook.
Its not going to get better.

Fakebook-1.jpg

Guess I'm going to have to be extra careful when I'm un-blocked.

So, what? If I post a humourous meme, are they going to either delete my post or are they going to add annotations to my post? Either way, Fuck Facebook.
Could block you from posting if they don't like it.

Facebook have no doubt hired Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf to be their in house fact checker.
lol

That's like the Kodak picture inspector at your home for inspecting the quality of pictures you took and put in albums or on the walls

This reeks of Big Brotherism

they can't even get what they have right...
So now they want to go after meme's

social media is one of the worst things to ever to have happened to the internet. it gave a voice to the village idiot. The local know to ignore that one but now they have a collective voice to push their stupid

US govt: hey FB, we're going to need you guys to fact check posts, and remove hate speech/video posts, and well here's a whole list of stuff we want removed if it's on there.

US govt: oh btw, we want you to come in next week to talk about privacy concerns!!!

They clearly don't know how this works.

US govt: hey FB, we're going to need you guys to fact check posts, and remove hate speech/video posts, and well here's a whole list of stuff we want removed if it's on there.

US govt: oh btw, we want you to come in next week to talk about privacy concerns!!!

They clearly don't know how this works.
What are you going on about?
FB isn't doing this at the behest of the US government.

Back