Facebook Is Beating The FBI At Facial Recognition

HardOCP News

[H] News
All this means is that either Facebook is really good at facial recognition or the FBI really sucks at it. :eek:

Compare that to Facebook's DeepFace system, presented at the IEEE Computer Vision conference earlier this month, and it looks even worse. Give Facebook two pictures, and it can tell you with 97 percent accuracy whether they're the same person, roughly the same accuracy as a human being in the same spot. To be fair, Facebook has a whole network's worth of data on its side, so it ends up comparing each face to a smaller number of possibilities.

Our US Government is so behind in so many ways that this is hardly surprising.

In my contract work with GSA based companies, it is rather obvious that the problem is in operations and management. The Govt. continues to use paper trails, lazy-ass unionized employees who procrastinate everything along the way and a strict protocol adherence that results in ANY major development taking months or even years.

I think the better way to phrase this would be, Facebook "WAS" beating the FBI at facial recognition. Because now the FBI has bought/taken/procured facebooks database upon learning this.

The FBI or Facebook.. does it really matter which is ahead since both actually work together??

from Time Magazine's Mark Zuckerberg Person of the Year 2010 article

Quote:
"The door opened, and a distinguished-looking gray-haired man burst in — it's the only way to describe his entrance — trailed by a couple of deputies. He was both the oldest person in the room by 20 years and the only one wearing a suit. He was in the building, he explained with the delighted air of a man about to secure ironclad bragging rights forever, and he just had to stop in and introduce himself to Zuckerberg: Robert Mueller, director of the FBI"

I'm more disturbed by facial recognition/license tracking when you're out in public. When you post something on the Internet, especially on Facebook, you expect to be cataloged. When walking/driving in public, you're out in public but the expectation that your every move is being tracked is not there (or wasn't there).

Anonymity can be a powerful ally, I'm surprised people throw it away so easily.

Duh.

As for anonymity, it's an artificial construct of modern life. The first 99% of human history had no anonymity. Either everyone knew who you were, or they'd kill you immediately.

Well unfortunately, thanks to J Edgar Hoover, when the FBI facial recognition software runs, all it sees .... Man's Butts.

Back