Facebook, Google Urge Congress To Hand Over Internet Control

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hey, if Facebook and Google say it is okay, then that should be good enough for everyone else, right? Maybe we should just hand over control to Google and Facebook. Now there's an idea! :rolleyes:

However, technology companies including Facebook, Google and Twitter penned an open letter to Congress, urging lawmakers to hand internet domain control to the international community as promised. The final proposal, drafted by "proud and active members of the internet community," goes well beyond the US Commerce Department's original criteria, set in 2014, according to the document. "Furthermore, crucial safeguards are in place to protect human rights, including the freedom of speech," it adds.

Will handing over the controls stop the incessant minting of vanity TLDs to sell off to spammers? Cause that shit is getting very tired. We didn't need .tv, and we REALY didn't need .ninja

Will handing over the controls stop the incessant minting of vanity TLDs to sell off to spammers? Cause that shit is getting very tired. We didn't need .tv, and we REALY didn't need .ninja

So Tuvalu doesn't get it's own TLD like every other country out there?

Frankly, I don't trust big companies like these or any other country in the world to handle issues dealing directly or indirectly with free speech. At least for now, the US is still the bastion when it comes to matters concerning free speech.

Frankly, I don't trust big companies like these or any other country in the world to handle issues dealing directly or indirectly with free speech. At least for now, the US is still the bastion when it comes to matters concerning free speech.
I'd say it's the best of the worst at least.

Hopefully this will stifle the terrible effects of the DMCA.

I'm just waiting for the ensuing comedy when everyone wakes up and finally sees the cage they crawled into involving the internet, politics, liberties, etc. Long ago people needed to be led to their doom by armed guards, today they are fighting each other to be the first in line.

Well, they had to do something since all of the other domains were taken. You practically have to do name####word.com if you want one these days.

A major issue is that once someone relinquishes it, it's automatically grabbed by bots and put on resale. They figure, if someone paid for it once, then it has value.

Back