Facebook, Google Helping To Stop Stimulus Scams

HardOCP News

[H] News
By now most of you have seen all those stupid “free stimulus money!” ads plastered all over the place. Well, Google and Facebook say they will no longer run them and they are now actively helping the FTC track down the scumbags behind these scams.

The FTC is investigating these scams and is reaching out to the private sector for help. Google on Wednesday morning committed to investigating stimulus-related ads that violate its anti-scam policy, and Facebook has pulled ads for stimulus funds from its site, in accordance with a new advertising policy it implemented this week.

Wait a minute! The FTC is the Government, and we all know that the Government is the solution to all our problems. Why the hell are they wasting time dealing with these greedy businesses?

Wait a minute! The FTC is the Government, and we all know that the Government is the solution to all our problems. Why the hell are they wasting time dealing with these greedy businesses?

Pardon me, but...what? :confused:

On a less confusing note, I believe anyone who sells ads should police the content. I'm tired of seeing what looks to be a good deal at first, but turns out to be a scam on investigation.

I rarely pay attention to ads anymore.

Just a Centon! The scamming scammers have scammed the scammed people for long enough! We all know that the FTC is the government, and the goverment that is of the people by the people and for the people is the government. What are they doing dealing with these greedy business that have the need for greed to be greedy? :D

Sorry, I'm working late, and must have drunk one caffinated drink too many.

the government doesn want you spending money on a scam, but instead them to pay for all this money they are printing :)

i also think sites need to be responsible for the ads THEY post, since they allow them to be viewed, to me that means they support X ad-company

the government doesn want you spending money on a scam, but instead them to pay for all this money they are printing :)

i also think sites need to be responsible for the ads THEY post, since they allow them to be viewed, to me that means they support X ad-company

Since we are now back on topic, I agree. I was glad to see that Google has a scam policy. I wonder how much it is enforced when the FTC is NOT investigating someone.

I wonder how may legitamate deals I have passed on because they looked too good.

I even hate the ads of gray legitamacy. You get the product at the price promissed, but now you are enrolled in a "club" at $XX/month because you missed the fine print.

I'll play Captain Obvious here for the few that didn't 'get it'. Our current President seems to feel that private industry has only killed our economy, and thus we need to implement a governmental solution to fix it. Yet in the face of this, the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is relying on data from PRIVATE COMPANIES to assist them in their stopping of the supposed scam. Even though the governmental programs are the scam incarnate. Apparently the irony was lost in my post.

I'll play Captain Obvious here for the few that didn't 'get it'. Our current President seems to feel that private industry has only killed our economy, and thus we need to implement a governmental solution to fix it. Yet in the face of this, the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is relying on data from PRIVATE COMPANIES to assist them in their stopping of the supposed scam. Even though the governmental programs are the scam incarnate. Apparently the irony was lost in my post.

Yeah, I didn't get that from the post. Thanks Captain Obvious! :p

225px-CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

OK, I get it now! :D

Since we are now back on topic, I agree. I was glad to see that Google has a scam policy. I wonder how much it is enforced when the FTC is NOT investigating someone.

Is the FTC really ever *not* investigating someone? :p

What I don't understand is why these deceptive sites haven't been shut down several weeks ago when it was quite obvious they were out to scam people out of their hard earned money. To allow these sites to operate for so long is a flagrant disregard for public safety.

There's nothing new about it,scams involving getting money from government programs have been around a long time,and the government does practically nothing to stop them.One outfit with dozens of mirror companies has been ripping off hundreds of people with government grants scams for years,but nothing concrete has been done to stop them.

What is sad is that some companies will appear as a Google sponsored link when a Google search for "Company Name Scam" returns over half a million hits, with most of the top links being quite relevant.

By now most of you have seen all those stupid “free stimulus money!” ads plastered all over the place. Well, Google and Facebook say they will no longer run them and they are now actively helping the FTC track down the scumbags behind these scams.
so they're gonna hack congress and stop the new stimulus scam from passing?

so they're gonna hack congress and stop the new stimulus scam from passing?

No, but even before the plan was passed (not even 100% official) they had their websites up trying to get peoples hard earned cash. But it's stupid peoples fault if they fall for it.

On a less confusing note, I believe anyone who sells ads should police the content. I'm tired of seeing what looks to be a good deal at first, but turns out to be a scam on investigation.

I rarely pay attention to ads anymore.

+1

I've had to stop looking at ad's since they're so damn annoying/irritating/fucking stupid. My blood pressure has gone down since. I still may get a little irate when I see a stupid ad - I would want nothing more than to take a sledgehammer to the faces of people who make/post/support said ad's.

What I don't understand is why these deceptive sites haven't been shut down several weeks ago when it was quite obvious they were out to scam people out of their hard earned money. To allow these sites to operate for so long is a flagrant disregard for public safety.

Who will shut em down? almost none of them operate with in the U.S and change their sites / hosting companies regularly, same with spammers, seldom do they stay on the same IP for long before they up and spam from somewhere else, outside of X companies law's where they cant be stopped or shut down.

Who will shut em down? almost none of them operate with in the U.S and change their sites / hosting companies regularly, same with spammers, seldom do they stay on the same IP for long before they up and spam from somewhere else, outside of X companies law's where they cant be stopped or shut down.

I think he meant why weren't the ads pulled from Facebook when it was obvious they were a scam.

Back