Facebook Deploying Free WiFi Finder in Mobile App

HardOCP News

[H] News
Assuming this doesn't turn out like most other things Facebook does, this could actually be a handy feature for Facebook users that don't already have a wi-fi finder app installed on their phone.

Facebook is cooking up a new tool that will make it easier for users to find and access free WiFi hotspots. Facebook confirmed the new functionality to Venturebeat, which notes that the functionality is only being deployed in "select countries" to start. The functionality appears to be available for some users right now through the iOS app, and can be found under the "Enable Find Wi-Fi" in the Facebook mobile app menu settings.

Facebook users that don't already have a wi-fi finder app installed on their phone..

Those exist? I mean honestly, anyone that needs to find wifi asap to use facebook, likely already has one of those right? I feel like this is just facebook gathering more data on users (straightens foil hat).

All I heard was, Facebook is developing a new strategy to drain your phone's battery twice as fast with it's wildly popular and completely unnecessary app.

Those exist? I mean honestly, anyone that needs to find wifi asap to use facebook, likely already has one of those right? I feel like this is just facebook gathering more data on users (straightens foil hat).

no, there is no way this is being used to gather any information.

This is not going to end well. Facebook mined my text messages for contacts. They are intrusive to the point of concern.

I don't understand why you need an app for this. I just turn the wifi on my phone on and it tells me if there are any networks available. I must be missing something. Either way im not attached to my phone 24/7 and can wait til I get home to use my wifi there if need be.

Sounds like you enable this 'feature' and your phone scans all open wifi nearby and sends that info with a GPS tag to apple servers, along with the same info from all other users. Then you can see what other open WIFI is nearby your current location.... So pretty much the same thing google got fined for by using their van to scan for wifi networks because they were 'stealing our emailz'....

Back