Facebook Creating App That Tracks You and Your Friends?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Bloomberg, citing anonymous sources, claims Facebook is creating an app that tracks you even when the app isn't running. I don't see this going over well with Facebook users at all. What do you think?

Facebook Inc. (FB) is developing a smartphone application that will track the location of users. The app, scheduled for release by mid-March, is designed to help users find nearby friends and would run even when the program isn’t open on a handset, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t public.

It'll go over just like every other FB 'new feature' backdoor job - the cat and baby pic posters won't notice while anyone more savvy that questions it including blogs and news sites shining a light on it will be told by Facebook's PR "no big deal, nothing to see, here you can opt out of it at any time, just like every other thing we've ever automatically opted you in on, after all FB takes our users privacy very seriously, potato."

I don't see how it will be an issue. If FB users cared about privacy, they wouldn't be using FB at all.

Oh My
tumblr_m06cpaHzbm1r2dkjw.png

Great now the Chinese will know exactly what building to bomb when I'm at work...

well, it is the next logical step

It still doesn't make me actually want to be on Facebook though

I would think with google maps latitude there'd be a patent on this.

Back