Facebook Considered Selling User Data Years Ago

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a report by the Wall Street Journal, Facebook considered directly selling API access to other companies between 2012 and 2014. According to TechCrunch, the WSJ's allegations come from sealed court documents from a lawsuit by app developer Six4Three. By all accounts, Facebook never followed through with the plan, as they've repeatedly stated that Facebook won't sell user data. But news of this discussion comes at a bad time for Facebook, especially with the possibility that high-ranking executives were part of that discussion. Facebook gave TechCrunch the following statement:

As we've said many times, the documents Six4Three gathered for this baseless case are only part of the story and are presented in a way that is very misleading without additional context. Evidence has been sealed by a California court so we are not able to disprove every false accusation. That said, we stand by the platform changes we made in 2015 to stop a person from sharing their friends' data with developers. Any short-term extensions granted during this platform transition were to prevent the changes from breaking user experience. To be clear, Facebook has never sold anyone’s data. Our APIs have always been free of charge and we have never required developers to pay for using them, either directly or by buying advertising.

Uh huh....I call bullshit on FB. All they are saying is they wish they could tell us the "truth" but they cant because the court system wont let them. Sorry I dont buy it.

Six4Three is a "tech company" who's app allowed facebook users to select your friends who's bikini pictures you wanted to find, and it would give you a gallery of all of your friends' bikini pictures.

Yeah.

Six4Three is a "tech company" who's app allowed facebook users to select your friends who's bikini pictures you wanted to find, and it would give you a gallery of all of your friends' bikini pictures.

Yeah.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. That’s just creepy af....

Uh huh....I call bullshit on FB. All they are saying is they wish they could tell us the "truth" but they cant because the court system wont let them. Sorry I dont buy it.
I think what they meant to say is that the legal system won't let them tell the truth because if the truth was seen they would probably be in deeper s**t than they are right now.

Maybe they haven't sold the data set itself, but they sure are raking in billions selling the use of the data to target ads.

1BhQ.gif

Yeah.

Wait. What? Stay out of my bikini pics, that was ONE TIME!

It was a joke!

I lost a bet!

Facebook has never sold anyone’s data. Our APIs have always been free of charge and we have never required developers to pay for using them, either directly or by buying advertising.

So let me get this straight. Facebook never sold my data because they never sold the APIs, but the APIs have always been free to use, therefore they have always given away my data for free.

Oh I get it now. I feel a lot better. /s

So let me get this straight. Facebook never sold my data because they never sold the APIs, but the APIs have always been free to use, therefore they have always given away my data for free.

Oh I get it now. I feel a lot better. /s
I mean, if you want you can make an app that finds bikini pics to find out whether it's true. ;)

Back