Facebook Confirms Outage Amid New Design Rollout

HardOCP News

[H] News
Facebook has suffered an outage! Oh no!!!! Everyone panic! Time magazine, take back Zuckerberg's award! :eek:

"For a brief period of time, some internal prototypes were made public to a number of people externally," a Facebook spokesman said this afternoon when asked for comment. "As a result, we took the site down for a few minutes. It's back up, and we apologize for the inconvenience."

A few minutes?
I think it was more than that. Maybe 2 hrs for some people.

How do you accidentally push internal prototypes to production? I've heard there is a very lax process for QA / production deployment at Facebook. Sounds like amateur hour.

yea who gives a shit about a few minutes.. actually if FB was down for a month i STILL would... not.. give.. a.. fuck

:)

Hey guys this isn't funny! I had no idea how my "friends" were doing in farmville nor what song lyrics they were thinking about for at least an hour. This could have easily gotten way out of hand

Hahahaha reminds me of how people act when this site has been down in the past, lol.

Hahahaha reminds me of how people act when this site has been down in the past, lol.

It's not funny. It only takes mere minutes for some of these folk to begin to lose the will to live and contemplate suicide! :(

One of these days they will push an update that completely destroys the servers and downs the web page forever.

What a blessed day that will be! A man can dream, a man can dream..

Scientists should conduct tests during the next outtage to compare the effects of Facebook withdrawal to withdrawal from cocaine and heroin.

I wonder how many people would flip if Facebook died. I know some people don't even keep local copies of their photos they just move em straight to the Facebooks.

On an unrelated note, my friend's mom calls it "MyFace" and she's on it all the time :D

The entire facebook existence and business drive forward seems to be talking about facebook and making bogus facebook articles, hence to get more people to use facebook.

Useless trash, its only semi-good reason to exist is for selling ads to dummy internet users who click on ads.... and all sites can, and already do that so facebook is a 99.999999% copycat, repetitive uselessness site that just has AWESOME marketing people from Harvard. These marketers that can come up with meaningless news articles such as this one, so everyone gets more informed on what facebook does and how "popular" it is. I wouldn't be surprised if they took the site down for an hour just so they could get NYTimes/CNN/Hardforum/etc to talk about it.

This obvious marketing strategy won't last long though (see all other "popular" social sites before facebook)

Back