Facebook Co-Founder Renounces U.S. Citizenship

HardOCP News

[H] News
I swear, it is a total coincidence that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship just months before raking in $4B. Just because I grew up here, was educated here and made all my money off of a U.S. based company doesn't mean I should stay here and pay taxes. Sheesh.

Saverin, 30, may have made the move for tax reasons, hoping to avoid the highest rates before Facebook goes public. Although born and raised in Brazil before moving to the United States in 1992, he now lives abroad in Singapore.

He was born and raised in Brazil and now lives in Singapore. Not really sure what the big deal is. If I was him, I'd probably do the same thing.

Good on him.

According to Wikipedia Facebook employees 3000+ as of 2011. He does the nation a great service by employing 3000 people and the government wants to reward him by taking his money. I'd say that is very wrong.

Just because he grew up here doesn't mean he owes the government anything. Yes, he was educated in the US, but given the low standard of education the US government offers I would say this was a distinct disadvantage and a waste of many years of his life.

When the government is robbing people of their future by providing such an abysmal standard of education I'd say that paying tax is morally wrong.

Good on him.

According to Wikipedia Facebook employees 3000+ as of 2011. He does the nation a great service by employing 3000 people and the government wants to reward him by taking his money. I'd say that is very wrong.

Just because he grew up here doesn't mean he owes the government anything. Yes, he was educated in the US, but given the low standard of education the US government offers I would say this was a distinct disadvantage and a waste of many years of his life.

When the government is robbing people of their future by providing such an abysmal standard of education I'd say that paying tax is morally wrong.

What?

eh id say freeze his assets till he pays the taxes that are due and the us govt should do this for all the facebook asswipes. i still cant fathom how a company that made 200mil last quarter is going to be worth 100 billion.

i wonder how much each user is worth to facebook and are they going to pay each user for their information they are using and making money off of.

Good on him.

Lol. So deluded. The higher education system is universally recognized as by far the best in the world. This guy Saverin deserves to be executed. He is the EMBODIMENT of the "1%" morons are constantly raving about. Not Mr. Small business rakes in 500k a year. This asshole who wants to avoid paying billions.

Good on him.

So because he made more money in 5ish years than 99% of the people in the united states will their entire life, he shouldn't have to pay taxes? I can see how losing 30% of a couple hundred million or possibly couple billion is punishing him.:rolleyes:

Good on him.

He was born rich and he went to private schools. He came to the USA for safety because his parents were worried about him getting kidnapped. He could have stayed in his own country and gotten killed, but he came here because our government fosters a safe and productive society with a lot of opportunity...especially for someone wealthy like himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wonder how much each user is worth to facebook and are they going to pay each user for their information they are using and making money off of.
Facebook is providing its users with a free and valuable service. I'm uncertain as to why you seem to believe that users are entitled to payment for use of Facebook's service.

Facebook is providing its users with a free and valuable service. I'm uncertain as to why you seem to believe that users are entitled to payment for use of Facebook's service.

You just lost the little credibility you had left, wonderfield.

I'd do the same thing.

I have a co-worker who holds US citizenship, but no longer lives or works in the US, hasn't for decades. Yet, they are still legally required to file yearly taxes with the US government. If he does not oblige, he is lible to be sued by the US government. It makes absolutely no sense.

USA is one of the few countries that charges federal income tax to citizens who live outside the country, I'd do the same damn thing if I were him

Your payment is that you get to use their service. Its a mutual understanding.

I see this thread ending well.

I literally LOL'ed at this. I also agree with you and what this guy did. I would do the same damn thing. Save a billion dollars, sure sign me up and I'll pay 1mil to the accountant that put me on to that nugget of info.

USA is one of the few countries that charges federal income tax to citizens who live outside the country, I'd do the same damn thing if I were him

Just learned this today and I'm in my 20's!

I would do the same if I lived abroad.

Your payment is that you get to use their service. Its a mutual understanding.

true but i am willing to bet their will be numbers on just how much each user is worth to facebook (even the dummy accounts people create for dumb rewards)

Lol.. Pay the taxes and live your life. I assume the govt granted him citizenship and he was educated here -- why not pay it and give something back? You wouldn't even have to try hard to make more since money like that could last a lifetime.

Good on him.

This is exactly the kind of nut-baggery that keeps the republican party operating. To think you should repay the country that provides you the opportunity to make massive amounts of money..... and not put anything back in to the infrastructure that provides the freedoms to do so. Would it hurt the bottom line of the 1%.... NOPE. It is just pure fucking greed. I make $40,000 a year and its enough to live off of after the government strips my paycheck of my taxes...... and taxes my CD earnings. Now if I can pay my taxes why the fuck cant these rich scum?

I would too, why should I share my money with an over-bloated government that has no sense of direction and doesn't encourage it's population to thrive to be healthier, more intelligent or take pride in things?

Most of the people in this country think they are entitled to everything including the kitchen sink even if they choose poor health habits, make poor decisions, ect ect....

I have no problem in paying taxes as long as the government and it's citizens know what the fuck they are doing.

This

Lol. So deluded. The higher education system is universally recognized as by far the best in the world. This guy Saverin deserves to be executed. He is the EMBODIMENT of the "1%" morons are constantly raving about. Not Mr. Small business rakes in 500k a year. This asshole who wants to avoid paying billions.

Executed? Really?:rolleyes:

This is exactly the kind of nut-baggery that keeps the republican party operating. To think you should repay the country that provides you the opportunity to make massive amounts of money..... and not put anything back in to the infrastructure that provides the freedoms to do so. Would it hurt the bottom line of the 1%.... NOPE. It is just pure fucking greed. I make $40,000 a year and its enough to live off of after the government strips my paycheck of my taxes...... and taxes my CD earnings. Now if I can pay my taxes why the fuck cant these rich scum?

Why is this guy any different from foreigners who never obtained US citizenship in the first place and made massive amounts of money from operations in America? At least this guy paid income taxes on half of his wealth.:rolleyes:

I'd do it to. All our shit government representatives will do with the money is give it to their cronies/owners on Wall St, big oil, and/or war machine.

Now if I can pay my taxes why the fuck cant these rich scum?

And this is exactly the kind of nut-baggery that keeps the democrat party operating.

The very fact that people are willing to give up their US citizenship tells you how bad the problem is.

Every year, there is a growing number of people who are denouncing their US citizenship due to the crazy tax laws we have in this country. Why should someone who hasn’t lived in this country for years still have to pay income taxes to the US?

Instead of fixing the problem, the government keeps passing more laws, making the problems even worse. The new reporting requirements for foreign banks are causing the banks to drop their US accounts. US citizens living overseas, are now having problems opening bank accounts at local banks.

I'd do it to. All our shit government representatives will do with the money is give it to their political contributers, big unions, or waste it on green energy programs that don't work.

Fixed that for you....

Well. It's his choice. Honestly, I can rant and rave, and call him all kinds of bad names, but when it comes down to it, at the end of the day.. this guys doesn't even know me, so I'm pretty sure my opinion of him means nothing. What the hell would he care. He's a billionaire.

If I were him, I'd do the same thing but....also buy my own island, make myself king, and be the first citizen of it. Tax rate: ZERO.

Why should someone who hasn’t lived in this country for years still have to pay income taxes to the US?

I don't know... because he fucking made the income in the US with a US company maybe? The fact that he was "paid" with percentages of ownership in the company that essentially has not been charged as income, then oh now pay day comes around and there's an actual value placed on all that income he made he decides to renounce his citizenship because the past few years he wasn't in the country.

The very fact that people are willing to give up their US citizenship tells you how bad the problem is.
Yeah, it shows people will do almost anything to avoid paying income tax.

Its funny that people believe you can heap taxes on top people and they won't change their behavior.

The rich can afford to dodge taxes, the middle class and poor, not so much. So when governments try to ream the rich (or the "1%" as they get called), they get almost nothing out of it and turn to the next 74% and take it from them. This happens time and time again. Seems every 30 or 40 years the public has to learn this the hard way.

Don't be a fucking retard. Anyone, anyone, in this position would do the exact same thing. Every single company and individual has the right to minimize their tax bill as long as they follow the rules adopted by Congress, and they do.

It's not greed, it's good business...

Back