Facebook Changes 'Real Name' Policy Rules After Public Outcry

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh look, Facebook is changing its 'Real Name' policy again.

First, the site will now allow users to provide additional context and explanation for using the name they do when confirming their accounts. "This should help our Community Operations team better understand the situation," VP of Growth Alex Schultz wrote in the announcement. "It will also help us better understand the reasons why people can't currently confirm their name, informing potential changes we make in the future." Second, Facebook will also require users that flag others for employing alternate names to provide additional detail and information in their complaint.

Wait, you can't use fake names on Facebook? I've never had a problem with an alternate account for apps I don't want to have access to my legitimate Facebook.

Wait, you can't use fake names on Facebook? I've never had a problem with an alternate account for apps I don't want to have access to my legitimate Facebook.

What you really meant to say is having an alternate account is useful for spying on your ex.;)

Despite these changes, Facebook has no plans to do away with the controversial policy. Schultz argues that by attaching a user's name to their online activity they are better held accountable for their actions and words. The policy changes are scheduled to activate in December.
Why I don't facebook.

Tiny secret, you never had to use your real name on Facebook... :rolleyes:

If they suspect you aren't using your real name they lock your account and make you submit photo ID. I've never had to do it but know people who have. Not sure how they determine whether or not you are using a fake name.

If they suspect you aren't using your real name they lock your account and make you submit photo ID. I've never had to do it but know people who have. Not sure how they determine whether or not you are using a fake name.

Heh, ok. I guess that would be the point I'd go "meh" and text/call a couple people that I'm not on FB any more.

Fuck Facebook. I will not deal with the devil.

There is only one way out

log-cabin1.jpg

I've never used my real name on Facebook either. If they asked for my ID, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves. I don't "need" Facebook.

what, that's crazy...my Luke Skywalker account should not need to be verified

Real Names are the Holy Grail for advertising firms. Fake names aren't as easy to track, but with a real, legal name, and maybe a few other benign pieces of information (like your phone number, which is why places like Google love to ask you for it), you can tie together lots of information from various sources. These sources don't "give away" your info or sell it necessarily, but if you know enough about someone, others can ask about it and they'll "share" it. Basically back-end data sharing.

never used my real name either.

It's just a facade to make farcebook look legit.
There are millions of fake name accounts inflating farcebook user stats, just so they can charge advertisers more.

Back