Facebook Can Recognize You Even If You're Not Looking

HardOCP News

[H] News
Other than being creepy as hell, I'm not sure why Facebook needs to be able to identify you, even when your face is partially obscured.

The research team pulled almost 40,000 public photos from Flickr - some of people with their full face clearly visible, and others where they were turned away - and ran them through a sophisticated neural network. The final algorithm was able to recognise individual people's identities with 83 per cent accuracy.

Lol. I recently talked near my phone and mentioned things I may want to buy. Still waiting to see if adds pop up on my PC hehe.

Lol. I recently talked near my phone and mentioned things I may want to buy. Still waiting to see if adds pop up on my PC hehe.

I went to the Microsoft Retail Experience in Redmond last year. A lot of really cool stuff. A lot of it very creepy. If you have wi-fi or Bluetooth on, it can track you throughout the store and knows where you stop to look at something, etc.. They had Kinects in the ceiling to watch where you were looking and what products. They can tell what you're interested more in, what you buy, what you want to buy, etc.. Facial recognition at the door, as well. They can't opt you in for targeted emails, but if you register a rewards card, etc., they can track your buying habits as well as your interests. Otherwise, it's more anonymous customer data. For internal stuff so far.

Some of it is implemented in some retail stores, a lot of it isn't (I hope).

The research team pulled almost 40,000 public photos from Flickr - some of people with their full face clearly visible, and others where they were turned away - and ran them through a sophisticated neural network. The final algorithm was able to recognise individual people's identities with 83 per cent accuracy.

Fuck.

TerminatorSalvation_T800.jpg

This isn't really surprising, all tech companies are doing this. People post millions of photos to FB every day (prob every hour), they need to recognize and tag them. Google does this too.

There are many privacy concerns about FB, this shouldn't be one of them.

Information Age. That's an understatement with the amount of data and information these companies have. We willingly give most of it to them, too.

Not really.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

I haven't read much into this field myself, but it's basically kind of like artificial machine learning. As I understand it, it uses a statistics-based approach to try to approximate how a mind would solve a very specific problem. Basically, it "kind of" learns from data, how to better perform a certain task. The key part is that it's just a certain task. This is not driven via any kind of impulse except the input. In this case it has a bunch of little nodes that each provide some input to eventually come to some kind of conclusion as to whose face this or that could possibly be.

Wikipedia said:
In modern software implementations of artificial neural networks, the approach inspired by biology has been largely abandoned for a more practical approach based on statistics and signal processing. In some of these systems, neural networks or parts of neural networks (like artificial neurons) form components in larger systems that combine both adaptive and non-adaptive elements. While the more general approach of such systems is more suitable for real-world problem solving, it has little to do with the traditional, artificial intelligence connectionist models. What they do have in common, however, is the principle of non-linear, distributed, parallel and local processing and adaptation. Historically, the use of neural network models marked a directional shift in the late eighties from high-level (symbolic) AI, characterized by expert systems with knowledge embodied in if-then rules, to low-level (sub-symbolic) machine learning, characterized by knowledge embodied in the parameters of a dynamical system.

Maybe I should make my master's degree in this field, though. It seems like it'd be really interesting. If it works like I think it does, though, I can see a lot of labor being replaced by sophisticated neural networks later on, though. It's kind of frightening. More sophisticated computer systems will only exacerbate this over time.

Not really.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

I haven't read much into this field myself, but it's basically kind of like artificial machine learning. As I understand it, it uses a statistics-based approach to try to approximate how a mind would solve a very specific problem. Basically, it "kind of" learns from data, how to better perform a certain task. The key part is that it's just a certain task. This is not driven via any kind of impulse except the input. In this case it has a bunch of little nodes that each provide some input to eventually come to some kind of conclusion as to whose face this or that could possibly be.

Maybe I should make my master's degree in this field, though. It seems like it'd be really interesting. If it works like I think it does, though, I can see a lot of labor being replaced by sophisticated neural networks later on, though. It's kind of frightening. More sophisticated computer systems will only exacerbate this over time.

So you're saying it's a learning computer?

Fuck...

Good thing i dont have a FB account
You have a face. This is all they are after. I'm like you, no FB account. Yet I do know they have a big profile built up about me based on those "friends" and clients of mine who share their address books with FB. Which means FB already have my phone, address, and email.

Have you ever had those "invites" from Facebook? The ones that get sent when a "friend" of yours joins facebook and they spam their email addresses with invites. Scariest parts of these invites are the "you may also know" links at the bottom.

This Face Recognition upgrade is just another little part of the surveillance tech they have built. The question is - who is the best skilled spy agency? The NSA or Facebook?

Not sure why everyone is happy they have no FB account. They did this using Flickr pics. Whether it's FB, Yahoo or the FBI, somebody is going to be able to track you by photo.

Back