Facebook Calls Detention In Brazil Over Whatsapp 'Extreme'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Refusing to help the government in the U.S. is one thing. Doing that in countries like Brazil will just get the vice president of your company arrested for failing to cooperate with court orders.

Facebook Inc called the detention of its vice president for Latin America on Tuesday an "extreme and disproportionate measure" stemming from a case in Brazil involving its messaging service Whatsapp, which operates separately from the Facebook platform. Earlier in the day police and court officials in Sergipe state announced the detention of Diego Dzodan in Sao Paulo state after the company failed to cooperate with judicial orders in a drug trafficking investigation.

"Whatsapp, which operates separately from Facebook"

Not true, I sent someone a message in Whatsapp and then erased the number, next time I logged into my FB, that person was recommended to be added as friend.

Mind you, I dont have the FB app installed in my phone, I use the phone browser. Also, that person and myself dont have any friends in common or groups and finally, I never added my number in Facebook, so yes, FB is reading and using my Whatsapp data as they feel like it.

Sadly, nobody that I know wants to switch to Telegram.

The articles ive seen are so light in information as to render them meaningless. What constituted no cooperation? Did they answer the request? Did a FB representative showed up in court for this case?

Meh, it is what it is.
Yeah, no shit. America ain't looking so bad now is it? I tried to do business in Brazil for years. We used to have Portuguese language HardOCP. You have to grease so many palms to make things happen down there it is ridiculous. And then the taxes....jeez.

I guess Tim's passive resistance tactics that worked in the US aren't as welcome in Brazil and other countries. If the US/FBI brings down the hammer, foreign governments will point to us and laugh like Nelson. Hell if the US waterboards our companies and doesn't care about our personal security, why should they?

Back