Facebook buys Oculus VR

Oh, yeah, and I'll surely trust the answers of a guy whose company was just acquired and who's first comment about it contains this PR BS:

"Facebook is run in an open way that’s aligned with Oculus’ culture. Over the last decade, Mark and Facebook have been champions of open software and hardware, pushing the envelope of innovation for the entire tech industry. As Facebook has grown, they’ve continued to invest in efforts like with the Open Compute Project, their initiative that aims to drive innovation and reduce the cost of computing infrastructure across the industry. This is a team that’s used to making bold bets on the future."

It's PR crap, but he isn't entirely lying. Facebook does support open standards. Facebook's policies on their site may be shit, but that doesn't mean everything they do is "evil" or whatever you want to call it. What Palmer is saying in the article is probably true, at least right now. It might not be true next week or next month or next year, but right now details like that were probably part of the purchase agreement. Until such a time that there is actual PROOF of all this doom and gloom happening I will keep an open mind and not be blinded by hate.

To not repeat myself further, I direct you to my posts in the News section, with some interesting quotes .

But noooo, Oculus did it for PC gamers, they are revolutionaries with PC gamers in mind, yadda yadda yadda.

In the end they did it for the money. It's awesome because it completely confirms my world view that greed will win 10 times out of 10. Life is good.

To not repeat myself further, I direct you to my posts in the News section, with some interesting quotes .

Sorry, can't read the news section. I was kind of banned from ages ago for...Well for being a huge asshole to people.

Either way. To bring this to a close because I really need to go to bed: Everything could go tits up easily. However, if Oculus tried to get this kind of funding from venture capitalists (and they had only managed to get $100m by this point) I can guarantee you that it would have gone horribly. With their ambitious Oculus was going to be bought by someone. When we're talking billions of dollars the options are pretty limited. Either some group of VC firms or a very big tech company. No game company on the planet could put forward this kind of money for such a huge risk and for something that wouldn't pay off for several years, if it ever did. The list of companies in the tech sector that could afford to do it is pretty small as well. Facebook (obviously), Google, Amazon (they are making heavy pushes into the hardware and game sectors), Apple, and Microsoft. Those are all pretty shit options. As Palmer stated companies like Apple and Microsoft would dismantle the company and the tech and put it into whatever they happen to be pushing at that specific moment and completely kill all the potential it had. Amazon would probably be the best option, but somehow I doubt that they made an offer. Google is no better than Facebook really. At least with Facebook there is a chance that things will turn out well. I can't fault people for being pessimistic, but I prefer to keep my mind open and simply wait and see what happens. I was never all that invested in the Rift beyond finding the tech really interesting and wanting to try it myself so I have no reason to get mad about this. If it all falls apart like 3D did, oh well that sucks. I've learned not to get invested in all of these supposed "game changers".

The lack of solid VR tech is one of the primary reasons I don't use Facebook that much. This is a game changer.

But noooo, Oculus did it for PC gamers, they are revolutionaries with PC gamers in mind, yadda yadda yadda.

In the end they did it for the money. It's awesome because it completely confirms my world view that greed will win 10 times out of 10. Life is good.

You are correct.

It just occurred to me that all those people who pitched their hard earned money into the Oculus Kickstarter campaign just helped a couple of dudes to become billionaires. GG folks!

Your $2 million donations turned into someone else's $2 billion gain. That's a 100,000% growth.

Don't you wish Kickstarter was an actual investment, and not just a charity buy. Your $300 investment in Oculus Rift would have returned you $250,000.

Ha...this just proves there is no integrity or honor amongst people to see their vision thru. Fuck they probably could've gone to Gabe and continued to develop autonomously under the security of Valve's umbrella and done whatever they needed to do to see this thru and become legend but I suppose the quick dollar takes precedence over seeing something revolutionary from start to finish. :(

I wonder when the rebranding will start, and when it does if they'll change the Oculus Rift name entirely.

Any of you pretending that you wouldn't have done the same thing really aren't fooling anyone. Kind of hypocritical isn't it?

Any of you pretending that you wouldn't have done the same thing really aren't fooling anyone. Kind of hypocritical isn't it?

I didn't even participate in the kickstarter, but I feel like I am owed at least $100,000 in pain and suffering over this announcement.

This is such a kick to the nuts. We really thought oculus was the future and had started developing on it. Now everyone here feels like someone executed each of our parents and we're orphans.

Glad I backed CastAR instead since I think Augmented reality is better for most folks than full on VR in most situations, but I have to admit, before this announcement I was seriously thinking about ordering the DevKit 2 of this project since they went to 1080p. I have never liked or ever wanted to join facebook, and unfortunately, it's almost a guarantee that if Oculus gets to retail it will require a facebook account to even use. That 2 billion facebook spent is definitely going to be recouped, by not only sales, but the mandatory adware installed on the Oculus that can't be turned off or removed courtesy of facebook.

I have never liked or ever wanted to join facebook, and unfortunately, it's almost a guarantee that if Oculus gets to retail it will require a facebook account to even use. That 2 billion facebook spent is definitely going to be recouped, by not only sales, but the mandatory adware installed on the Oculus that can't be turned off or removed courtesy of facebook.

I agree...I don't have a Facebook account nor ever had a desire for one. I can bet this will guarantee the necessity of a mandatory account for use. No Mr. Zuckerman, social media and PC gaming do not go hand in hand.

Dropbox fairly recently rejected a nine figure buyout offer from Apple. The company is currently valued at $10B.

If you're sitting on a revolution, you don't flip it to Mark Zuckerberg for $400M in cash and $1.6B in restricted shares.

I had high hopes for Oculus Rift but now I just don't care, I have zero support for Facebook or any other social media website.

Facebook recently denied they're going to eventually rebrand the rift with facebook logos and interface, I still don't believe they bought them out just to help them with their long term vision though.

xbmzqYp.gif

Facebook recently denied they're going to eventually rebrand the rift with facebook logos and interface, I still don't believe they bought them out just to help them with their long term vision though.

To be honest, I think Mark knows Facebook is dying a slow death which will eventually lead to a permanent death and is looking to build a new company with a new long term vision, however it doesn't change the fact that I despise everything Facebook stands for so I have to despise Mark as well and hate this move.

I wouldn't go assuming everything these "unnamed sources" say is true. The rebranding thing is a bullshit assumption at this point

Are they the long and rambly ones with the armadillo riding a rocket? ;)
I doubt John would care much, but please be careful when talking about his private intimate night-life around here

A visionary is one who defines the future he or she wishes to see by acting on it. Whether that means inventing futures or investing in futures doesn't matter.

Back