Facebook Buying Oculus VR For $2 Billion

Oculus Wikipedia page moments ago :D

PC5EWbn.png

It is none the less ironic, in my opinion, to state such a thing on social media which partakes in data collection, regardless of the scale. That being said, I do not disagree with him - Facebook creeps me out too.

By the way, Notch posted an article on his site regarding the situation: Virtual Reality is going to change the world.

I respect Notch and his creation .. but he's made one sandbox game. Too often do we give readily follow those that see success and expect them to understand when lightning will strike twice when in fact no one does.

Until VR is more mature (which granted we are closer to than ever before) and well supported its still unknown if it will truly take off. Even when it arrives and is readily available its going to take years for developers to get use to it and really make it shine.

It disappoints me that Oculus would would consider the deal.

LOL

Yeah, because they were doing it for the love of service to fellow mankind (that doesn't want to leave the mancave).

You'd sell your nuts for $2 billion.

Great post on Reddit:

Congratulations, you just killed any and all hope or trust millions of people had in your product and the future of gaming and computing as we know it.

I'm not even sure what to say because it's pretty obvious you put sacks of money before your supposed "dream", and will sell yours and everyone elses hopes and dreams away to an absolute fucking pariah of a company that's actively destroying any semblence of privacy or open digital market left in the world. And on top off all of this, you're not even GOOD at selling out. A measly $2 billion? You're talking about a company that just bought a glofified fucking IM app for $20 billion. You know damn well what this technology is worth and what a future it has, and you know just how deep Facebook's pockets are and just how desperate they are to save their eviscerated whale of a megacorporation, and $2 billion is enough for you? You're not only an unprincipled sell out, you're not even any fucking good at being an unprincipled sell out.

Well great job, because your dream of VR is fucking over. Facebook are gonna get the patents to the Rift, and they're gonna do exactly what all the patent hawks of the industrial revolution did and what all of the petrochemical industry is doing to renewables. They're not gonna do shit to further VR, they're just going to sit on a patent they never worked on and sue the everloving shit out of anyone who even dares to compete with them. All the while, they'll be putting out an inferior, bare minimum cost surveillance device to the idiotic masses and they'll keep it that way. And when (and it's not a matter of if, it's WHEN) they keel over and die, who's gonna buy out such a lucrative patent? What'll happen to VR then? Someone not quite so "innovative" as Facebook (those two words should never be in the same sentence) is gonna grab it up (for a hell of a lot more than $2 billion I can tell you) and your dream of true VR ever being a thing will drift further and further into the garbage pile. And you'll have sold it all away for Wall Street peanuts.

"I’m obsessed with VR. I spend every day pushing further, and every night dreaming of where we are going. Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined we’d come so far so fast. "

And you only ever got that dream because of the millions consumers handed over to you to develop a product THEY wanted. You'd have made a pheominal amount more than what you were offered as a small, independent powerhouse in a matter of years. But apparently your "dream" doesn't have time for patience or common sense. And what about all of the developer's who've made the Rift what it is today entirely of their own volition? With no desire for financial gain, but merely to be a part of the brave new world you apparently wanted to create? That you believed in? Well good luck, because the best you're ever going to see on your platform now is VR Farmville and VR Instagram Panorama apps. Is THAT what your "dream" looked like?

If you have even a single braincell left in your cranium you'll call off this deal and hope to God you can muster back the faith in your userbase that you've now utterly robbed both financially and spiritually. Sadly, having posted this wall of absolute management-speak "connected world" straight-from-Zuckerberg's-PR-department grade A patronising bullshit I doubt you'll ever get anyone's trust back.

This sucks but I can't say I blame them after the recent play station announcement and xbox rumor both about vr tech for their platforms. I would have sold.

Yeah the guy comes off as an entitled teenager but he's got a point about $2B really not being very much, in the sense that the first company to really establish itself in VR stands to profit on a scale which makes this investment look insignificant, and Zuckerzerg knows that.

This sucks but I can't say I blame them after the recent play station announcement and xbox rumor both about vr tech for their platforms. I would have sold.

You think a playstation accessory made a company creating a VR product for PC's panic? I don't really see the connection.

Those VR tech will probably be proprietary to their respective consoles. There's still a huge void in PC gaming and general applications for VR.

Hmmm, I am not so sure if even a successful Oculus VR company would profit so much as to make $2billion look insignificant. It would be one thing if it was semi-holodeck VR similar to what Microsoft has been experimenting with, like the kind everywhere in Minority Report. This kind of VR is just goggles - I would be incredibly shocked if they profited so much as to make the investment look small.

You think a playstation accessory made a company creating a VR product for PC's panic? I don't really see the connection.

Really? You don't see the connection with two companies with bottomless pockets building ostensibly the exact same product?

Hmmm, I am not so sure if even a successful Oculus VR company would profit so much as to make $2billion look insignificant. It would be one thing if it was semi-holodeck VR similar to what Microsoft has been experimenting with, like the kind everywhere in Minority Report. This kind of VR is just goggles - I would be incredibly shocked if they profited so much as to make the investment look small.

I'm not sure what you think MS has been experimenting with other than shooting a projector at bookcases, but VR is not a "holodeck or nothing" game here.

Education, communication, training, rehabilitation, gaming and film are all going to be major drivers for VR, and they will reach a very wide audience. So yes, the potential is there to make $2B seem insignificant, as soon as someone can really execute.

Really? You don't see the connection with two companies with bottomless pockets building ostensibly the exact same product?

You really don't understand these products very well if that's your conclusion.

That's the most hugely emotional rant I've read in like forever. What's the big deal? It's just a dumb toy and having or not having it pretty much doesn't matter. People can go buy a different toy.

You don't see the implications this has on past and future Kickstarter projects? The sour taste this leaves for all those that put their own money and funded the project many times over because they believed in it and wanted to support it and not some shitty corporation. Imagine if Chris Roberts announced that he is selling Start Citizen to EA.

To qoute notch: "And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

I have no idea why shareholders aren't selling off their shares like mad. All Facebook does is waste billions of dollars on a few tech purchases, then does nothing with it; not even an indication that they will even recover their costly transaction amounts. I'd have no confidence in Facebook if I were a stock holder.

Their Kickstarter page is getting new comments now and the results are as expected. The least they could do is take 0.6% of the cash they got and refund those people.

You don't see the implications this has on past and future Kickstarter projects? The sour taste this leaves for all those that put their own money and funded the project many times over because they believed in it and wanted to support it and not some shitty corporation. Imagine if Chris Roberts announced that he is selling Start Citizen to EA.

To qoute notch: "And I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."

I don't see it as a big deal, even in that respect. Kickstarter has been getting abused by companies looking for funding, by the same companies coming back over and over again to beg for more money for different projects, and companies that plan to make stuff that is never going to go anyplace. Yeah sure, there's probably a small number of good things to come out of it, but not much. People doing funding stuff there are sorta asking for it and, really, if Kickstarter vanished tomorrow, the world would still be an okay place to live in.

It's actually starting to look like Zuckerberg fell in love with the Oculus Rift project and approached the board, wanting to help them out with money made from selling peoples private information.

Engadget:
Zuckerberg called out virtual reality as one of the computing platforms of the future -- following desktops and mobile -- and yes, talked about building Facebook's advertising into it. Specifically, he talked about the potential of a virtual communication network, buying virtual goods, and down the line, advertising.

I foresee the continuation of great dedication to high end gamers.

About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said.

No , you fuckin don't.

Well, age 32, it was a good run. Grew up on Atari and was glad to be involved in the Golden Years of gaming.

I think Im out. Time to find a new hobby.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-02-28-vr-palmer-luckeys-quest-to-change-the-world

As long as Oculus remains in the spotlight and continues to impress, rumors will be running rampant. Some people think Microsoft, Google, Apple or any number of tech or gaming firms will purchase Oculus. And you can bet some have already tried. For now, Luckey insists that he's staying independent.

"We want to do things our way. There are certainly people who are interested... but we have a vision for our consumer product and we know that we're going to be able to pull it off. We don't want to be assimilated into someone who's going to have us working on their own product or their own vision of VR - we want to be able to deliver our own vision of what VR is," he said.

So even if a company like Amazon made a huge offer, it wouldn't matter? "Nobody can say it doesn't matter - everyone has a number," Luckey admitted. "But I don't think there's a reasonable number that would make me say, 'You know I was going to change the world with VR and try to change humanity forever but here's a number. It really is about making sure that we get to deliver our vision of consumer virtual reality."

I guess we know his number.

About 40 percent of the time that people spend online on computers is on gaming, Mr. Zuckerberg said, and 40 percent is on social communication.

“You need to fuse both of those together,” he said.

No , you fuckin don't.

Well, age 32, it was a good run. Grew up on Atari and was glad to be involved in the Golden Years of gaming.

I think Im out. Time to find a new hobby.

Oh, I missed the one right after that:
According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.

This is absolutely upsetting and devastating. If Zucker actually thinks non-gamers will be buying this thing he has to be out of his curly headed mind. Not to call the Oculus people sell outs, but I'll be damned if I ever believe a word out of their mouths again. Especially after claiming they wanted to make the Oculus Rift for the sole purpose of finally creating a VR experience.

I guess any amount of money will think you rethink any life decisions. Whatever.

This looks bad and I know everyone is disappointed (including me)...but this tech is crude at best, hell it is not even a finished "ready for public consumption" product for christ's sake. With the coming new wave of high density display technology there WILL BE another as competition never gives up especially if this product (and Sony's and MS) products suck shit.

As for the comment on Reddit...what a bunch of butt dump. This rancid tripe was written by a no life having basement dweller who's dreams of finally fucking their favorite anime character in VR have been temporarily been put on hold. This isn't the end, shit, it's only the beginning and to those who get out there and take full advantage of the upcoming technology that will be available will be successful in the coming years and everyone will forget ALL about this little set back. VR is coming folks, and yes, the OR's loss to Fuckerberg and Co. sucks...but this plus Sony's and possibly MS's entry into the field all but guarantee's VR's future. There will be innovation, there will be better products released for the PC and other platforms. Watch and see.

Of course, this is just my opinion and just my take on the situation, and I could be completely wrong, but I don't think so.

Back