Facebook Buying Oculus VR For $2 Billion

Oh you better believe Gabe is doing VR. Reports are that it is miles ahead of the Oculus. After all Gabe is the one who figured out the latency issues for the Rift.
To the best of my knowledge, Valve have stated they have no interest in producing a commercial VR headset; their prototype is for internal research and demonstrating purposes. With their commitment to the Steambox and Steam Controller this would be understandable. That being said, depending on how they see things, there is a possibility their stance could change after the acquisition by Facebook and Micheal Abrash's move to Oculus VR.

Oh you better believe Gabe is doing VR. Reports are that it is miles ahead of the Oculus. After all Gabe is the one who figured out the latency issues for the Rift.

Valve's primary VR talent has left to go work for Oculus

Jailbreak Sony's Morpheus, or Facebook's Rift? That's the real question.

All would've been right in the world if Valve had bought OculusVR instead of Facedata.

A point must've come some time ago where Newell asked himself "should I buy this company", and I would love to know the reasoning why he passed.

All would've been right in the world if Valve had bought OculusVR instead of Facedata.

A point must've come some time ago where Newell asked himself "should I buy this company", and I would love to know the reasoning why he passed.
As I mentioned further up, Valve have other investments in the hardware space right now, and we know it is very costly for a company to have such endeavors. Maybe they did not want to stretch themselves to thin?

I am very curious to know how Valve's considers their VR projects since Oculus VR's acquisition and Abrash's decision to leave. The fact that I've read many people state that their in house VR prototype is on par with the Rift has got me even more curious.

^ Not to mention there are the stories about how Valve collaborated with OculusVR and helped them with their latency issues.

They're an enigma.

Let's look on the bright side, at least Microsoft didn't buy it.

No doubt. Apple and Microsoft wouldve probably been worse, gutting it and fast tracking a proprietary peripheral toy for walled garden land.

Back