Facebook Buying Oculus VR For $2 Billion

I can't wait to immerse myself in images of drunken college students vomiting on themselves in beautiful simulated 3D.

Well, at this point, I think our best hope is Gabe Newell. I hope he makes one for the Steam Box.

as soon as i noticed it wasn't April 1st, i cringed so hard..

well I will be cancelling my pre-order of the dev kit 2 for sure.

I can just imagine something like this

"a Facebook account is required to active your Rift, sign in or register"

:mad::mad:

I wasnt going to buy this before and I definitely wont now. I dislike FB as much as I dislike google, FB has been trying to out google google the past year with all these buyouts.

Typical Corporate America kicking in.. Bad enough we have to pay for premium cable television , and still get commercials stuffed down our throats =(

Remember Myspace was awesome back in the day, until Tom sold it for millions and it started going down the drain with advertisements. Youtube is like that now, tons of commercials. I still use facebook daily, but it is full of ads too.

but than again, the guys at Oculus just became millionaires.. that is a hard deal to bargain. Your dreams still come true (in the sense that you want to make millions), despite not following through with your product all the way.

Who do all of you guys NOT like? How do you survive with all this boycotting you're supposedly doing? Yes, all these big companies are greedy, corrupt, and doing far more harm than whatever little good they do. But you guys act like one company or another is THE evil company that you have some kind of personal vendetta against due to it being THE evil company - as opposed to the vast majority of big businesses that are...good...companies...?

Everyone constantly pointing fingers everywhere, yet every time you open your wallets or go to the voting booth (or NOT go), your actions speak louder.

Who do all of you guys NOT like? How do you survive with all this boycotting you're supposedly doing? Yes, all these big companies are greedy, corrupt, and doing far more harm than whatever little good they do. But you guys act like one company or another is THE evil company that you have some kind of personal vendetta against due to it being THE evil company - as opposed to the vast majority of big businesses that are...good...companies...?

Everyone constantly pointing fingers everywhere, yet every time you open your wallets or go to the voting booth (or NOT go), your actions speak louder.

Agreed to some degree. People often say one thing and do another , its the typical nature of humans to do so. But I think it really offends people who just don't want anything to do with Facebook now being latched on to what many were looking forward to being the "future" of gaming and the real kickstarter to VR.

Its understandable why people are mad frankly. Its also an open jab at the fact that video gaming is going fully corporate these days. Its funny though because when video gaming was fringe and people who were gaming nerds were considered ..well nerdy , the outcry was always " I wish this was more mainstream " or " Its just another passion. Why does it get so little attention though? "

We'll see how Facebook treats this but I have very low "hopes" in that regard. Facebook isn't a gaming publisher or developer and the only experience they have with gaming developers is through Zenga. Who knows how they will treat us. Probably the same way they treat the other 1+ Billion of their users.. which is not great. At least with Facebook where it belongs its entirely voluntary but now... who knows what this will morph into.

As for the Rift....well its done son its done, but honestly you guys didn't really expect it to take off did you? VR will NEVER be mainstream as long as half the population gets motion sick and the other half hates wearing heavy weights on their heads. No OR was a gimmicky quasi cool flash in the pan product for us techie nerds, but it was brilliantly manipulated to pull off a billion dollar heist on facebooks investors

This. Until the average Joe can walk into a Star Trek style holodeck with some friends without a need to wear goofy headgear and bodysuits, VR is just a gimmick. These guys knew that, so they took the money and ran. Can't blame them because I would have done it too. I'm just surprised they settled for such a small amount from a company like Facebook. They probably could have gotten 10x that by saying "No" once.

We'll see how Facebook treats this but I have very low "hopes" in that regard. Facebook isn't a gaming publisher or developer and the only experience they have with gaming developers is through Zenga. Who knows how they will treat us. Probably the same way they treat the other 1+ Billion of their users.. which is not great. At least with Facebook where it belongs its entirely voluntary but now... who knows what this will morph into.

I highly doubt Facebook is trying to get into the business of selling gaming peripherals. They probably just want the VR technology for something else they have planned.

It's just too bad for us who are looking forward to using it in PC gaming.

This. Until the average Joe can walk into a Star Trek style holodeck with some friends without a need to wear goofy headgear and bodysuits, VR is just a gimmick. These guys knew that, so they took the money and ran. Can't blame them because I would have done it too. I'm just surprised they settled for such a small amount from a company like Facebook. They probably could have gotten 10x that by saying "No" once.

Nah, 2 billion was a good haul for them considering this:

(1) Oculus is not a mass market proven product
(2) Competition threats are strong, Sony, Google, Valve, etc
(3) Oculus just destroyed their goodwill & credibility with their core fanbase
(4) The casual market that Facebook wants to target will most likely not adopt a "complicated" product that covers the entire head, makes them motion sick, and makes their neck sore.

(5) Oculus is not "The Holodeck," and has not re-invented or defined anything. Oculus is a relatively crude product from a tech standpoint....seriously, there are special versions of contact lenses that have electronic circuity for projecting hud data against your retina and we are supposed to believe a SCUBA mask with two OLED displays is the bees knees, lmao! The Movie Lawnmower Man was more innovative!

(6) The 2 billion spent was more or less a heist against facebooks shareholders. An "Italian Job," or "Thomas Crown Affair," so to speak
(7) Gamers loose. Period. The final product will be a shadow of its former original intent.

Well bull fucking shit, what a depressing kick in my oversized nutz. Zuckerberg. Just had to go and crash our gaming dreams come true did ya you little bitch. I refuse to have anything to do with Facebook and I'm damn sure the name will be plastered on the VR device, just like its plastered everywhere else.

Please Valve, Gabe, come to our rescue. Help us Obi-Gabe Kenobi, your our only hope...

You guys are all welcome to join the 3D Vision community instead, we've been having an absolute blast these past 5 years, and with all types of games not just first person.

Well! So much for Occulus.

Another decent product brought down by association with a shady company.

Night and day good sir, night and day!

Indeed, its why people are so mad.

We were so close to having VR. Now its going to be mishandled by greedy corporations and not used to its full potential.

Tragic really.

Can't say I would not have taken a 2 billion payday. I mean seriously, you get a few tens of millions in backing which freaks you out and gives you an ulcer because now the world is expecting big things from you. You get most of the work done but there is still that unknown last 10% to finish and the unknown of what happens when you actually put your product to market.

Stupid megacorp comes out of left field and offers you 100x what your company is currently worth to buy you out.

Who the hell would not take that deal? Life's work or not, only one person in a million would say they love the work more than they love a hundred million dollars in their pocket. Sorry, just the way it is.

And yeah, screw Facebook. I don't have an account now, and never will. And even a good VR system won't make me give up that stance.

I highly doubt Facebook is trying to get into the business of selling gaming peripherals. They probably just want the VR technology for something else they have planned.

It's just too bad for us who are looking forward to using it in PC gaming.

And yet it is. By owning Oculus they are going to be even as a parent company owner , having a dog in that "fight" for the first VR tech to really take off.

Hopefully since Sony and now Microsoft (they've said they have been toying with it , which of course they have to say) are in the game well.. to be Sony is and we have no idea if Microsoft even has a working prototype , there will be even more eyes will be on Oculus and competition is always a good thing.

What does suck though is that Indie developers will be immediately turned off by the fact that Oculus is no longer a Kickstarter rag's to riches story ..but now fully owned and operated by one of the biggest companies in the world. Notch's reaction will be one of many and probably NOT the norm but its important to note that Notch is THE top indie developer with a product that is one of the best selling games of all time and his word carries a lot of weight in the indie world. And right now indie games are where its at. Steam is hell bent on turning the indie wave into the Atari crash of 82' though if wave of horrible games keeps pouring through which could monkey wrench the whole rise of VR via gaming.

There are lots of irons in different fires and since Oculus was the hottest and brightest iron around .. a lot of its future has been suddenly drawn into question and people who were onboard fully with Oculus are having second thoughts.

does anyone else draw a parallel to this and the movie "Gamer". They had a second life style existance and I can see facebook making a VR "world" thats similar. Actually this points to several versions of that same theme that can come to pass. Maybe "sword art online" or something from William Gibson or Neal Stephenson. I suppose that its technically has all the parts to make that sci-fi idea come true.

If only any of those would have ended better...

does anyone else draw a parallel to this and the movie "Gamer". They had a second life style existance and I can see facebook making a VR "world" thats similar. Actually this points to several versions of that same theme that can come to pass. Maybe "sword art online" or something from William Gibson or Neal Stephenson. I suppose that its technically has all the parts to make that sci-fi idea come true.

If only any of those would have ended better...

I really and totally hope the fuck none of those circumstances/outcomes actually happen. Gamer was an interesting movie and concept (minus the awful acting via Dexter and Kevin Bacon's wife) concerning the virtual reality sex crap.. that shit was just weird as hell. The scenes with the fat guy basically putting his meat mittens into buckets of liquid sugar while ordering his "companion" to do his bidding would made me want to urge the President to activate the Nuclear football this instant and by pass that dystopian possibility.

If that's what the next 50 years is going to bring , count me the fuck out. VR is cool and it certainly seems like that's where its heading but if the sacrifice for the virtual world is the complete failure of the real world then I can't see how we would want that as a society.

Thankfully reality often puts us in our place and despite the great promises of the past (flying cars , day to day operations for the average citizen in space and so on) reality comes along and slaps us across the face and reminds us to sometimes separate our expectations from what's actually capable.

RIP Occulus Rift,

Palmer, please don't sellout.

I'll just have to infringe upon your patents (for the optics) and make my own HMDs.

They are going to ruin it. Pop up windows, banner ads.

Quick somebody, create a new VR company please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RUuRaNb5is

And yet it is. By owning Oculus they are going to be even as a parent company owner , having a dog in that "fight" for the first VR tech to really take off.

Hopefully since Sony and now Microsoft (they've said they have been toying with it , which of course they have to say) are in the game well.. to be Sony is and we have no idea if Microsoft even has a working prototype , there will be even more eyes will be on Oculus and competition is always a good thing.

Meh, Apple will just take them to court before they get anywhere.

Well, age 32, it was a good run. Grew up on Atari and was glad to be involved in the Golden Years of gaming.

I think Im out. Time to find a new hobby.

I think 18 was a better time to do that. There are lots of good books out there to read.

That's the most hugely emotional rant I've read in like forever. What's the big deal? It's just a dumb toy and having or not having it pretty much doesn't matter. People can go buy a different toy.

The whole point of that rant was that a different toy that everyone was looking forward to cannot exist because of the patents.

I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this I hate this i hate this.

Now that's been said, face book is a cluttered mess, there is nothing I like about their site and I can only see bad things happening if they involve themselves in the development of the product.

A new way of communicating? A VR Plateform? FINE! im sure itll be something.. just develop it, why the hell did you have to go and buy Occulus for!? You could have worked with them like everyone else.

They are gonna have to prove themselves big time before i touch this product now.

I wanted a dev kit 2 but im so turned down by this BS they can keep it. :mad:

Somewhat good news will give Min-Liang some credit with Razer with the laptops they have come out with or well at least the new Razer 14 inch.

Well Zuckerberg talked about having a "courtside seat" and "front row concert" experience. While that sounds cool as a concept, the loss of the gaming focus of Rift makes me sad. Paying to watch the Champions League finals from midfield and actually be there....pretty cool concept.

I wonder if Microsoft or EA or someone were at all interested. Either way, the money isn't in PC gaming so at some point it was going to be sold for other uses. I just hoped it would be to someone who could continue the PC aspect.

If VR ends up being the real deal and not another 3D fad, there will rise another...who will then be sued out of existance for patent infringement.

Boo! Really Facebook? I just don't see Farmville on Oculus as being a big hit.

Unfortunately everyone has a number. I hate the fact that FB bought them. I only hope that Oculus stays somewhat true to their vision and gets a product that with further gaming.

BTW, I would hate my life if some damn advertisement came up on my Oculus...

This is a good news for VR in general considering Facebook will be expanding it beyond just gaming. However, yes it is a bad news for Oculus in that they will lose focus. There will be other VR goggles available from Sony, MS, Razer, etc... for consumers to try out. I'm not sure what all the overreaction is about.

Well Zuckerberg talked about having a "courtside seat" and "front row concert" experience. While that sounds cool as a concept, the loss of the gaming focus of Rift makes me sad. Paying to watch the Champions League finals from midfield and actually be there....pretty cool concept.

You would not actually be there :)

And I would rather really be there, or in a bar or home with friends and beer actually socializing, than alone in my room with giant contraption sitting on my head.

Back