Facebook Begins Europe-Wide Campaign Against Extremist Posts

HardOCP News

[H] News
After months of investigations and pressure from the German government, it looks like Facebook is finally deleting hate speech and racist posts in Europe.

Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg said hate speech "has no place in our society", including in the Internet. Facebook's ground rules forbid bullying, harassment and threatening language, but critics say it does not enforce them properly. On Friday, the firm said it had hired a unit of the publisher Bertelsmann to monitor and delete racist posts on its platform in Germany.

I wonder if the people in Europe believe the US constitution, particularly the 1st amendment, was put in place to protect the freedom to say that the sky is blue.

Heres a list of people banned from entering the UK because they say mean things.

Also I have no problem with Facebook policing it's own service.....that is totally fine. What raised my eye brow was this

Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg said hate speech "has no place in our society",

Facebook does not own society (yet), nor is Sheryl Sandberg an elected policy maker (of the word I guess). So I am concerned about her believing what she thinks is acceptable is what IS acceptable.

Hmm, I think Sheryl's comment on society has to be taken within the confines of Facebook as a corporate entity, not an autonomous government policy.

Facebook as a corporate entity can institute company wide policies, as long as those said policies are not in direct violation of the official local government and therefore illegal.

So, censorship raises it's head (higher) in Europe. Glad I don't live there.

Hate speech = non-PC things

This is your future, America. Wake up before it's too late.

great even more crime gets covered up, I assume since they'll censor any posts mentioning it on social media. guess there's no problem sweeping under the rug if nobody knows about it happening.

It's about time Facebook started doing something like this, they need to bring it stateside asap.

great even more crime gets covered up, I assume since they'll censor any posts mentioning it on social media. guess there's no problem sweeping under the rug if nobody knows about it happening.

Also remember how happy everyone was when social media was used to propogate the "Arab spring" several years ago. Libya & Egypt. Remember how great it was to have dissidence....as long as it was aligned with our own interests.

There was a great line in Contact (the book, it didn't make it into the movie). Where Ellie (main character) was talking to her Russian friend. She says "America is great because I was able to stand on the steps of congress and protest our involvement in the Vietnam war". Her friend says "Ahh, but I was also able to stand on the footsteps of my parliament and protest America's involvement in Vietnam".

Same Germany where TV stations censored news to not tell about immigrants attacking women

Makes you wonder if any critics of Angela will be hate speech also...

Maybe they should be concerned about actual extremists... For example, those that cut heads off for believing in a different book.

Back